10 yr old working on Husqvarna 55 saw (chain removed) -- has question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: this is a great conversation. I'll share the relevant parts again when he gets home from school. I think he's going to go for making a video of the saw. Might be just the saw and his voice, not sure how much he'll want to "be a star". He corrected me -- said he didn't think he needs to shorten fuel line. He seems confident that having replaced it the saw will work well once the carb is adjusted. But we'll see if it runs perfect. I know some of the comments here mention the fuel tank vent -- if that's the white plastic piece I think, a new one came with the new carb kit. So I can't see how that's going to be part of any remaining issue. But we'll see how it runs. He tends to work on this on weekends. Funny thing about YouTube. Both he and his brother -- BOTH -- got so inspired by YouTubers that they have walked around the house narrating made-up YouTube videos. When I was his age, or younger, I did imaginary sportscasts of football games. His brother has outgrown it, but there was a time when both were walking around the house at the same time narrating different YouTube videos. One on engines, the other on Minecraft (video game). Neither one of them plays video games much at all, which seems kind of a victory somehow. The 10 yr old does zero video games except Car Mechanic Simulator, which I got last year for $2.99 because it's the 2015 version. We don't do it a lot, but I feel like it's pretty good in some ways. And the car problems they give you keep getting more and more complicated. And you don' t have to spend hours on rusted bolts.

Update: this is a great conversation. I'll share the relevant parts again when he gets home from school. I think he's going to go for making a video of the saw. Might be just the saw and his voice, not sure how much he'll want to "be a star". He corrected me -- said he didn't think he needs to shorten fuel line. He seems confident that having replaced it the saw will work well once the carb is adjusted. But we'll see if it runs perfect. I know some of the comments here mention the fuel tank vent -- if that's the white plastic piece I think, a new one came with the new carb kit. So I can't see how that's going to be part of any remaining issue. But we'll see how it runs. He tends to work on this on weekends. Funny thing about YouTube. Both he and his brother -- BOTH -- got so inspired by YouTubers that they have walked around the house narrating made-up YouTube videos. When I was his age, or younger, I did imaginary sportscasts of football games. His brother has outgrown it, but there was a time when both were walking around the house at the same time narrating different YouTube videos. One on engines, the other on Minecraft (video game). Neither one of them plays video games much at all, which seems kind of a victory somehow. The 10 yr old does zero video games except Car Mechanic Simulator, which I got last year for $2.99 because it's the 2015 version. We don't do it a lot, but I feel like it's pretty good in some ways. And the car problems they give you keep getting more and more complicated. And you don' t have to spend hours on rusted bolts.
You’re 60 and have a 10 yr old?:rock::bowdown::clap:

The 10 yr old does zero video games except Car Mechanic Simulator, which I got last year for $2.99 because it's the 2015 version. We don't do it a lot, but I feel like it's pretty good in some ways. And the car problems they give you keep getting more and more complicated. And you don' t have to spend hours on rusted bolts.

Made me smile - spending hours on rusted bolts is "character building". Or so I was told by my professional car mechanic grandfather. Especially when the wrench slips and one learns new four-letter words as one takes in in the knuckles.

Good on ya for raising kids who don't have their noses in "devices" all day long.

Ha ha. Busted! But it's very possible physically to have a 10 yr old at age 60. Though they say the risk of birth defects goes up, the older the inseminator. :) (Not just the inseminatee. ) I like to say I was a "late bloomer." Or didn't find the right woman. Or was picky. Or wanted to travel and have fun before settling down. Probably all true, grizz. And it keeps me young. Your ovation might be the first one I ever got for it. I just did what came naturally. :muscle: Dswensen, you're right about rusted bolts, tho I wonder how many would-be mechanics get unfortunately turned off by "those super-rusted bolts that defy any lubricant, tool, or idea known to man".

Update on the kid: he told me he tried the saw after school yesterday and it sounds like there's still issues. So I'm gonna keep trying to get that video posted on YouTube. When we have time. Prob over the weekend.

Ha ha. Busted! But it's very possible physically to have a 10 yr old at age 60. Though they say the risk of birth defects goes up, the older the inseminator. :) (Not just the inseminatee. ) I like to say I was a "late bloomer." Or didn't find the right woman. Or was picky. Or wanted to travel and have fun before settling down. Probably all true, grizz. And it keeps me young. Your ovation might be the first one I ever got for it. I just did what came naturally. :muscle: Dswensen, you're right about rusted bolts, tho I wonder how many would-be mechanics get unfortunately turned off by "those super-rusted bolts that defy any lubricant, tool, or idea known to man".

Update on the kid: he told me he tried the saw after school yesterday and it sounds like there's still issues. So I'm gonna keep trying to get that video posted on YouTube. When we have time. Prob over the weekend.
Keep doin what yer doin, seems like it’s working! I’m 65 and have a 21 yr old granddaughter, youngest grandkids are 10!

He's here with me now. We need to confirm exactly what the fuel tank vent is. (Husqvarna 55 air injection saw.) He says that it runs good for about 30-45 seconds. I heard it from my office, sounded like it was revving up fine. Then he says it leans out and dies after 30-45 seconds. Then he has to pull it a lot to get it to start once that's happened. When it does finally start, you can't rev it up, and it just dies. But then, if you open the fuel tank,, the saw will restart after about 3 pulls, it'll get richer again, and rev up fine, but then after 30-45 seconds, it'll lean out and die again. He says he wants to post a video of this ASAP tomorrow. Now it's bedtime. :)

Keep doin what yer doin, seems like it’s working! I’m 65 and have a 21 yr old granddaughter, youngest grandkids are 10!

I am 67 with a 24 yo Grand Daughter who has finished collage with a degree. I apparently do not look my age because I have been hit on by younger women and have explain that to start a family is just is not going to happen no matter what. I keep a couple pictures of my Grand Daughter to show when the need comes up even if the inviting party is very appealing. Thanks

Anyone got a parts diagram of the 55 Husky that could easily show the exact location of the tank vent. The OP should also go to the 'beg for manuals' thread and ask Mr. Ray Benson for a PDF Workshop Manual of the Husky 55. It will have every diagram, list of parts & diagnoses procedure to do absolutely everything to that particular saw.

He's here with me now. We need to confirm exactly what the fuel tank vent is. (Husqvarna 55 air injection saw.) He says that it runs good for about 30-45 seconds. I heard it from my office, sounded like it was revving up fine. Then he says it leans out and dies after 30-45 seconds. Then he has to pull it a lot to get it to start once that's happened. When it does finally start, you can't rev it up, and it just dies. But then, if you open the fuel tank,, the saw will restart after about 3 pulls, it'll get richer again, and rev up fine, but then after 30-45 seconds, it'll lean out and die again. He says he wants to post a video of this ASAP tomorrow. Now it's bedtime. :)

I have a few 460's which is very similar to the 55. I have not heard you mention the lay out from the service manual. I would agree the fuel vent might have some relevancy to your issues, but double check from the service manual. The air injection carburetor is a little more possible to have a air leak or malfunction. I have had fairly low hour carburetors cause problems and have determined that one of the passage ways was the cause. I have seen the carburetors so reasonably priced I just get them for backup. Thanks

I have a few 460's which is very similar to the 55. I have not heard you mention the lay out from the service manual. I would agree the fuel vent might have some relevancy to your issues, but double check from the service manual. The air injection carburetor is a little more possible to have a air leak or malfunction. I have had fairly low hour carburetors cause problems and have determined that one of the passage ways was the cause. I have seen the carburetors so reasonably priced I just get them for backup. Thanks
460 and 55 are 2 completely different saws, only the color is the same.

I’m new here, but have learnt a lot in a short period of time and I highly recommend that pressure / Vacuum tester I mentioned a few posts ago. It can test all lines, carb, engine, fuel tank, vents etc. Found a leak in my manifold and could have been the reason the chainsaw was sold to me as junk in the first place. Had I not have tested it, and just put it all back together, it could have happened all over again! Clearly for whatever reason, it sounds like the engine isn’t getting enough fuel, it’s a fairly linear diagnostic. Start from the tank and work your way along. Pressure and Vacuum test the tank, tank valve, fuel line, primer bulb, carb, impulse line too if it has one. Also test the rubber manifold. I’m really keen to hear what the culprit turns out to be as I’m here learning heaps too.

Hi All, I've been trying to take a video of my son and the saw. First couple of tries didn't work. He took one of himself which did work, but it jumps around a lot. It's 8 min. long, too. And I asked him what he would say to everyone about it. This is what he dictated: “Here is a video of the chain saw. The idle was low, so it kept dying out. The chain saw seemed to work OK during this video, but now it’s not working as well. We will upload another video of how it is working now.”

Thanks to pavel for the parts diagram. I showed it to my son, and he found the fuel tank vent. He wasn't sure how to clean it out, though. (How *could* you clean it out?)

Thanks in advance for your insights. We'll post another one as soon as I can get it done. I'll try to get him to make it easier to view if he does it on his own again.. Maybe he can narrate it, too, next time.

Agreed, saw sounds and looks great! It sounds like it's starving for fuel in the end. I had a husky trimmer do that and it turned out to be the new fuel line - it was a little tight in the hole to the tank and was actually squeezed closed enough to restrict fuel flow. I drilled the hole in the tank a little larger (in stages) until the line fit tight enough to seal but not restricted.
Side note, once you get a chain on it, please hold the top handle when starting. If the saw slips from under the foot on high idle, it could get real nasty. Starting with the chain brake on (recommended by Husky) might be a good idea.

Agreed, saw sounds and looks great! It sounds like it's starving for fuel in the end. I had a husky trimmer do that and it turned out to be the new fuel line - it was a little tight in the hole to the tank and was actually squeezed closed enough to restrict fuel flow. I drilled the hole in the tank a little larger (in stages) until the line fit tight enough to seal but not restricted.
Side note, once you get a chain on it, please hold the top handle when starting. If the saw slips from under the foot on high idle, it could get real nasty. Starting with the chain brake on (recommended by Husky) might be a good idea.
The chain is off the saw

Thanks, all! I'll pass all this along. (We read it together). We're gonna post another soon, he said it stopped working as good as it did in the video. But he's gonna be encouraged. I'm gonna try to get him to narrate at least a little. Buzz, that's interesting about the fuel line squeeze. I think I know what he'll say about it. I think he'll say that it was doing that even before he replaced the carb, which he did recently. He also changed out the fuel line recently. But all this is encouraging. Makes me wonder why the saw started acting worse after he took the video you saw. The quest continues...

The clutch should be engaged without the chain on at idle.
.as I said earlier, with a property working carb then the revs will drop as the saw starts to warm up. It would make it impossible to run.
When that saw is cold, it barely had enough rpm to idle at times.
It needs to be high revving without the chain. The clutch drum should be turning.
Turn up the idle and set your low jet.
Turn low jet clockwise until it runs at its highest and smoothest revs. (Too far clockwise and it will start to cough..starve) ass soon as you go too far and the engine coughs then go back to that sweet spot again where the engine runs the best. Then simply turn anticlockwise 1/4 from sweet spot
If saw revs and quality decrease only then you need to go anticlockwise to find the sweet spot then.

Start with that. Are they both responsive to the adjustments?

Westboast, I'll pass that on. Thanks! He's the one to answer your questions & I'll make sure he does. Sounds like new pieces of the puzzle for him. :)

Back