Help choosing a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timhans

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the market to buy a new saw. Looking for something around 50 cc 18-20" bar. I would like something reliable and lightweight, low vibration. I will not buy anymore Stihl equipment after having multiple coils fail on multiple pieces of equipment. I am leaning towards Husquevarna or Makita. Any advice is appreciated

I'm not familiar with Makita, but a few years ago they were definitely contenders.
For Husqvarna, impulse wants me to recommend the 550xp. However, how much are you cutting? Is this going to be your only saw?
For an all around firewood saw or one-saw owner, I think you should look into the 60cc class. 20" bar on 50cc is pushing it. The 562xp is a great choice. Plenty of power to pull a 20"
If it's for a few chords a year, and expense is a factor, either the 455 or 460 is a good option, and should last quite awhile if properly cared for.

Budget is about 500, use is maintaining 13 acres (keeping trails clear, etc..) will not be cutting firewood. I was looking at Echo on the advise of a friend. What is the difference between CS-501P and CS-490? They are both 50 cc. Also I have a big stihl 660 magnum for the big stuff, so I want just a midsize lightweight saw (getting older :)

not using in cold, I didn't even know heated handles on chain saws was a thing

The Makita isn't the best handling 50cc saw that's for certain, but it is really smooth and has a nice, torquey (for 50cc) motor. You do get used to its bulk and then it becomes a non-issue...until you pick up the jonny 2152..or the jonny 590, or the Dolmar 420, or the 262xp, or, or, or.

There are a multitude of saws that handle better. There are few that are as smooth or as powerful for its size.

The Makita isn't the best handling 50cc saw that's for certain, but it is really smooth and has a nice, torquey (for 50cc) motor. You do get used to its bulk and then it becomes a non-issue...until you pick up the jonny 2152..or the jonny 590, or the Dolmar 420, or the 262xp, or, or, or.

There are a multitude of saws that handle better. There are few that are as smooth or as powerful for its size.
Not many stock 50s can handle 18" 3/8 like they do. I wouldn't feel like I was over-barring it with a 20" if I had to have it.

I am in the market to buy a new saw. Looking for something around 50 cc 18-20" bar. I would like something reliable and lightweight, low vibration. I will not buy anymore Stihl equipment after having multiple coils fail on multiple pieces of equipment. I am leaning towards Husquevarna or Makita. Any advice is appreciated
What saws were u having bad coils on?

MS 270C (2 coils) and FS55 weedeater, and the replacement coils were not cheap. neither of these were ever left outside

Mine has 16" .325 , like all my 50cc saws. So i wouldn't know about how it handles a 20" 3/8.

Why would you do that? To each his own i guess..

Anyway, the Dolmar 5105 has the best motor (power everywhere, awesome throttle response, smooth as silk) of any of my 50cc saws.

Why would you do that? To each his own i guess..
I agree. My 346s and variants mostly wear 16" .325. 18" 3/8 for the Dollys. I have lots of saws so I don't have to, but if all I had was a 660 and needed to fill a void I'd throw one on it if I needed it.

Lots of good choices. You have....

- Almost as much power as a husky.
- Almost as smooth as a husky.
- Almost as much grunt as a husky.
- Anti vibe almost as good as husky.
- Ergonomics feel almost as good as a husky.
- Might last as well as a husky.
- Might be as dependable as a husky.
- Feels almost as solid as a husky.
- Parts availability and cost ... ooops never mind this one

I'm kind of leaning toward suggesting a husky.

Lots of good choices. You have....

- Almost as much power as a husky.
- Almost as smooth as a husky.
- Almost as much grunt as a husky.
- Anti vibe almost as good as husky.
- Ergonomics feel almost as good as a husky.
- Might last as well as a husky.
- Might be as dependable as a husky.
- Feels almost as solid as a husky.
- Parts availability and cost ... ooops never mind this one

I'm kind of leaning toward suggesting a husky.
Oh my lord you need to get a 5105 in your hands...

Latest posts

Back