First Fire of the season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First fire last night, 39 degrees after a high of 50 that day. Very much enjoyed it, but it was the first fire on my flex chimney since it was insulated. Got nervous when the insulation glue burned off, saw a little smoke and up went my heartbeat. Burned wood all night, have to say the stove got hot quicker and I was able to dial it down with better success.
a6f572607dcb6721275e77408ae7f136.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how did the iron wood burn? as a kid I remember it being so dense that it would barely float when fresh cut and it being a real bear to cut with an axe (boy scouts...do not ask :) )

ken
Hey again Ken. How are you doing?
I really liked the Ironwood. I bought 2 cords from a local farmer that had a lot of it. He had 120 cords of it.
His prices weren't great but his wood was awesome. He had it cut and stacked under cover in a barn for 2 years so it was very well seasoned and dry.
I paid $550 for the 2 cords, delivered from about 10 miles away.
If it were a bit cheaper, I may have bought a lot more.
There's an Elm down for me to scrounge for free, but it may take me a bit to get it all as I'm pretty busy here at the house building things still on my days off.
Take care buddy.

Got up early this morning and felt a little chill to the house for the first time, though it has been colder already (about 50°). Maybe it's because of the rain, so I decided to start the stove for the first time this season with some nice black cherry. Probably won't run the cat, and just wide open and hot so to not bake the house, but sure does feel good having a fire going and it's just a tad warmer.

Wife likes it, she got called into work at 0100 last night and just got home about an hour ago, so a fire going and a hot stone after being outside in the rain was comforting.

iAwROSC.jpg

Hey again Ken. How are you doing?
I really liked the Ironwood. I bought 2 cords from a local farmer that had a lot of it. He had 120 cords of it.
His prices weren't great but his wood was awesome. He had it cut and stacked under cover in a barn for 2 years so it was very well seasoned and dry.
I paid $550 for the 2 cords, delivered from about 10 miles away.
If it were a bit cheaper, I may have bought a lot more.
There's an Elm down for me to scrounge for free, but it may take me a bit to get it all as I'm pretty busy here at the house building things still on my days off.
Take care buddy.
Pretty Good, came down with a case of the Die-u-beasties but it looks like a diet modification will take care of it. How are you and yours? Hope all is well.

Wow!
That's a lot of firewood right there.
Admiring the cityscape near you there.
Very clean and white.
Japan is amazing. I always admire the efficient use of space and world renown wooden structures built using no nails.
My profession is in Architecture and I have worked on many structures built in Japan.
Lots near Tokyo, some north near Sendai and some out near Osaka.
Mostly custom homes for a few different companies like Selco.
I did my own house design additions on our home here in the woods of Ontario too.
Our little piece of heaven.

The furnace has been on a little, and I turned it off this morning. The house was cool enough tonight to try the first fire of the season. It feels good!

The camera makes it look like there is shiny creosote on the doors and firebox, but it's actually fairly clean metal!

7004ab8c-7541-41f2-95cf-5030adcdd402.jpg

Back