Stihl Flippy Cap solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why use something simple and reliable when you can use something cool, complicated, and crazy?? haha

I agree. Lots and lots of complaints about the flippy caps. In 8 years of having my ms290, only once has it posed a problem. I soaked it in a solvent for the night and it has been perfect since (3+ years, and still going).

But there are folks here with money to burn and cost is not a factor in modifying a saw. $100s is spent to shave a second or two off cutting time, so why not spend far less and save minutes in refueling.

Isent the problem caused by the vent? What’s the vents purpose? equals pressure right?
The vent is a one way valve to let air into the fuel tank, but it doesn't let the air out. If it was a 2 way vent with a filter on it, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But if overfilled, a 2 way can dribble fuel out at certain angles.

Dave at CCC has a cheap solution. Most of my flippy cap users has went to these.

View attachment 765752

Harrumph
b8a7fbe6d62c845cf776bfb80d1f3d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The vent is a one way valve to let air into the fuel tank, but it doesn't let the air out. If it was a 2 way vent with a filter on it, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But if overfilled, a 2 way can dribble fuel out at certain angles.
that makes sense

That is no solution for the problem, but an expensive method to remedy for a basically bad design. Stihl should have got rid of that cap decades ago.

It was mentioned at least a thousand times on this site that the flippy cap can create a potentially hazardous situation. It does not surprise me than that Stihl should have a few lawsuits on their hands right now.

Some guys at Stihl should be fired for not taking action on this….. but I guess they don't read posts on AS….

A waste of time and energy for something that really isn't a problem. We are running saws all days. When they run out of gas we fill them. With minimal gas in the tank when it stops running there isn't spray. Especially if you have common sense to open it slowly. That setup would take longer to fill up a saw and get it back running than it's worth. On one saw we had one stuck cap. Amazingly when we blew off the sawdust it worked fine again.
Once again creating a solution where there is no problem.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back