Stihl Flippy Cap solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say that flippy caps are an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. They are cute yes, but entirely unnecessary as a means to simply fill a hole.

The only defenders of flippy caps are Stihl guys. Everyone else sees the folly.

They are just a thing to close a hole.

I broke one of mine. I believe it cost me $15.00 to replace it. That's hard to swallow. I should really have a spare..

What was the issue with the screw in caps?

If flippy caps are so great, why hasn't someone made retrofits for old saws? Think there would be a market?

You know why, FLIPPY CAPS SUCK!!!

Kudos to Definitive Dave.

P.S. I'm going to buy a bunch of caps from Dave, my logger friends will get them for Christmas!

Like the author said, "Good Grief".
Something else around the garage to put in the estate sale.

I gotta say that flippy caps are an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. They are cute yes, but entirely unnecessary as a means to simply fill a hole.

I broke one of mine. I believe it cost me $15.00 to replace it. That's hard to swallow. I should really have a spare..
I walk into my dealer ask for one and get them for 4$ That a ripoff

I've never had a problem with the flippy caps except sometimes they don't want to flip down properly when you put the cap back on for some reason. I just pull the cap back out and try again and usually it works right.

Here's a flippy-cap problem that has been brought to my attention by several Stihl saw owners. If you leave a fuel flippy cap in a saw for a year or so without removing it, the cap locks up and cannot be twisted off, even with downward pressure. The only way to remove it is with pliers, and that usually breaks the innards of the cap. So, you have no choice but to replace it. This has occurred with a tank that has fuel the whole time and one that has been stored empty.

Buy some from Dave when they are back in stock.

I normally just swap them out when I get an new saw & keep the Floppy caps as back ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good point @Tom B. These are 70 Buna rubber. I don't know their fuel resistance. There may be better ones out there. Let us know.

Found these on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Bun...467571&hash=item260f418637:g:2wcAAOSwM~taaSvs

Nitrile or Buna-N O-rings produce general purpose seals that are tear-resistant and can withstand abrasive treatment. Nitrile O-rings, which have a temperature range between -54 and 149 degrees Celsius, are suitable for use with water, petroleum oils and some hydraulic fluids.

Also:
Buna Nitrile O-rings have resistance to common lubricants and are recommended for crude oil, gasoline, propane, petroleum oils and water. ... Nitrile O-rings have good tear and abrasion resistance with operating temperature: -30° to +250F° (can be higher with special compounds).

Sounds like nitrile o-rings should be just fine.

I've got stihls from the 1980s, same SCREW caps and gaskets. Some real old ones with metal chains/retainers to hold the caps. No problems ever.

Why did Stihl go flippy?

I know trying to call Stihl USA is like trying to milk a bull........... Azzhats running the show!!!

"milk a bull"? Sounds like a Kingpin scene with Woody Harrelson lol

A waste of time and energy for something that really isn't a problem. We are running saws all days. When they run out of gas we fill them. With minimal gas in the tank when it stops running there isn't spray.

I think that you are missing the point. The saws vapor lock in hot conditions and act like they are out of gas but aren't. Then when you open the cap to refuel the remaining fuel boils when the pressure is released causing the geyser.

Once again creating a solution where there is no problem.

This is a real problem, especially if the woods are on fire around you. Be thankful that you haven't experienced this "non-problem" personally.

038 magnum with side access tensioner or MS381 with proper fuel/oil tank caps, the saw they never made...

Latest posts

Back