New 550xp mark II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are seeing what I see. To close to my 562xp
I believe this was created for the 572xp owner, not a 562xp
For me,there is a gap in current Husky Pro lineup beneath 562
Stihl? Really?

Stihl 261 c-m . . . . yep! Doesn't feel quite as ergonomic as 550xp ver 1 in my hands, but has balls (and it's not broken in yet), is light, a little more torqy and am looking forward to not having to scrub and pick crap out of my husky clutch covers as much. The inside of those Husky covers are like a plastic maze of greezy gunk catchers. :p

The mark II is a definite improvement. I couldn't wait to try one as both the mark ones we have on our crews run like crap at the moment. Nothing worse than being up in a tree trying to let a top fly & the saw just bogs or worse quits. Hot starts are one or 2 pulls EVERY time with the mark II. They without a doubt made changes for the better with this saw.

The mark II is a definite improvement. I couldn't wait to try one as both the mark ones we have on our crews run like crap at the moment. Nothing worse than being up in a tree trying to let a top fly & the saw just bogs or worse quits. Hot starts are one or 2 pulls EVERY time with the mark II. They without a doubt made changes for the better with this saw.
Does it feel and handle as good as the original version? I finally got an original version this year. I haven't used it much but I really like it. No hot start issues as long as you apply the fast idle. It is very agile and cuts great. I'm very happy with it so far.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Does it feel and handle as good as the original version? I finally got an original version this year. I haven't used it much but I really like it. No hot start issues as long as you apply the fast idle. It is very agile and cuts great. I'm very happy with it so far.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think so & it seems to have a little more torque in the cut which is huge for me. We are running 3/8 18" on all of our 550s never ran the mark II with .325 on it. Any differences melt away when you don't have to pull it 8 - 10 times every time you start it hot just to have it fall on its face.

So, there was some mention of parts not likely being interchangeable. What's the chance of taking an OE, putting a NE top end on and muffler to get the heat deflection/dissipation?

So, there was some mention of parts not likely being interchangeable. What's the chance of taking an OE, putting a NE top end on and muffler to get the heat deflection/dissipation?
Looks like some doing just to interchange the muffler mounts alone, and I'm betting the cylinder differences are just as stark.
HVF-550XP-20_1_1.jpg Robust-muffler.jpg

The real experience can only be found when I or you handle it in real cutting tasks.

+1

Cutting cookies with a stopwatch doesn't reflect real world use. IMO that's where the difference between the MS261 and 550xp really shrinks. While the MS261 is noticably stronger and lighter, the size is ridiculous for a 50cc.
The opposite is true in the 70cc class. In the woods, the MS462 is definitely preferred over the 572xp with all the crews I know that run both.
What is going on with Husqvarna? Stihl is definitely on top right now with lighter, faster, stronger saws across the board.

Back