Woodland Pro pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt93eg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i don’t see another area where to post this so since this is related to chainsaw safety I guess would be in here?

As the fall is approaching and firewood season is almost here I was going to invest into some chainsaw safety pants(not interested in chaps).

I came across the Pfanner gladiators but very pricey at $300. A lot better than injury though and bills that could be associated with that so I would be willing to spend the dough on them.

I read a lot reviews on those but also came across the Woodland Pro pants at Baileys. But I can’t find any reviews on them. Have any of you used them? If so how are they. Are the Pfanner gladiators worth the extra 100$?

Here are the woodland pro ones.

https://www.baileysonline.com/woodlandpro-arborist-chainsaw-protection-pants-bwp-ap.html

If you cut all your wood in the cold weather, maybe pants would be warmer, but I prefer the chaps because they are cooler in hot weather, and go on and off easier. My wood cutting season is already over, and did a lot while it was warm weather.
I would say if you go with the expensive pants, you should try them on beforehand so they aren't too restricting..

If you cut all your wood in the cold weather, maybe pants would be warmer, but I prefer the chaps because they are cooler in hot weather, and go on and off easier. My wood cutting season is already over, and did a lot while it was warm weather.
I would say if you go with the expensive pants, you should try them on beforehand so they aren't too restricting..

Thank you for the input. I do my firewood work in the cold season. Only time I do any real saw work when it’s hot is if a tree goes down on the property that has to be delt with because it’s blocking a trail.

Oregon technical pants would be my recommendation. Love mine.
Ebay is the source.

Looked up “Oregon technical pants” on eBay and it says no results found. I also did a google search but found nothing. Maybe those are NLA?

I have the Husqvarna classic pants. Love them. Worth the money over chaps. Can't say anything about other brands or models, just I really prefer pants. Once they're on you can forget about them for the whole day. They don't get snagged on stuff or inhibit movement. These ones are comfy like sweatpants almost.

I have Stihl chaps (6-ply) but want to eventually get the 9-ply pants for added protection. I haven’t seen many, if any, other brands offering a 9 ply. Don’t attack me now, I’m not saying they don’t or that I know it all...just sharing my $0.02.

And if I may ask a question along the lines of protective pants... I’ve stayed with chaps for airflow because it’s hot down here in Texas. Do the pants stay fairly cool or is there a noticeable difference? And how do the pants hold up with washing?

I have never worn protective gear pretty much forever. I have been climbing and cutting for more than 50 years. I am not sure if that is completely wise though. I have always had an array of helmets and hard hats, but just do not use them always. Earplugs always. Up until last summer I would cut large logs in cut offs with no problems. I do wear knee pads because I do kneel quite a bit. With jeans and sweat pants on I bleed a lot because of dried branches getting caught in the back of my legs. However being more aware of possible problems especially several hours away from any civilization concerns me. I have just started getting pants and protective gear. I do not care if I get hot or not, but will only wear pants. My thinking is that 3 or 4 layer is plenty. I am more concerned about my arms and chest than my legs. The way I work it is to cut for awhile then take the pants off while moving wood and winching. Thanks

I have Stihl chaps (6-ply) but want to eventually get the 9-ply pants for added protection. I haven’t seen many, if any, other brands offering a 9 ply. Don’t attack me now, I’m not saying they don’t or that I know it all...just sharing my $0.02.

And if I may ask a question along the lines of protective pants... I’ve stayed with chaps for airflow because it’s hot down here in Texas. Do the pants stay fairly cool or is there a noticeable difference? And how do the pants hold up with washing?

Depends I suppose. Chaps and shorts is about the breeziest setup. Chaps over double front Carhartts is pretty darned stuffy. The pants I have have zippers behind the knees which helps a lot. Problem is though that you can't just finish with the saw and unbuckle them and shed a layer. Once you've got the pants on you're committed, unless you can drop your drawers and slip into something cooler at your job site. With chaps you can kinda don them as needed, though the drawback is that it's tempting to leave them off for "just a few cuts...".

I have Labonville full wrap chaps and Clogger Zero pants. They get used about the same amount. The Cloggers are definitely tailored more towards climbing. No good pocket to hold a couple wedges. I do still use them on the ground because they are far cooler to have on than the chaps over pants. Of course they are also harder to take off, but as stated above that leaves you unable to leave them off for just one cut... which is a good thing. There are a few new options that just hit the market, but am going to wait on some reviews from others as none of them are cheap. At least none that I'd be interested in. Firm believer that you get what you pay for, and that especially concerns me when it comes to life support/saving gear.

Depends I suppose. Chaps and shorts is about the breeziest setup. Chaps over double front Carhartts is pretty darned stuffy. The pants I have have zippers behind the knees which helps a lot. Problem is though that you can't just finish with the saw and unbuckle them and shed a layer. Once you've got the pants on you're committed, unless you can drop your drawers and slip into something cooler at your job site. With chaps you can kinda don them as needed, though the drawback is that it's tempting to leave them off for "just a few cuts...".

Maybe if you just wore a pair of shorts under the pants? And yes I’ve gone a couple cuts because I took the chaps off and figured meh it’s only a few cuts I’ll be ok. Then my wife sees and here she comes and fury is coming with her

Maybe if you just wore a pair of shorts under the pants? And yes I’ve gone a couple cuts because I took the chaps off and figured meh it’s only a few cuts I’ll be ok. Then my wife sees and here she comes and fury is coming with her

Heck, just some briefs under the pants is all you need. They're very comfy.

My chaps used to do double duty as a shoulder pad when I was a EFFer and I had to hike a mile or 3 to get to the line.

Or you can get a set of chaps and go commando with your A$$ hanging in the breeze :)

HaHa, yeah, just make sure there is no "Phantom Photog" lurking nearby!!
Actually, I have Labonvilles wrap & an old pair of Swedefors pants, & I prefer the pants because they have handy pockets in many places, are easier to move around in, & last & maybe most importantly, there is a zipper in front!!!

I think I have it narrowed down to 3 options for pants as of now. Which are:

-Husqvarna Technical Pants $230
-PFanner Ventilation pants(black) $299
-ArborWear Ironwood Pants. $250 but got a promo code so I can get them for $225.

Latest posts

Back