Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That **** is not poisonous...? I guess not. But dang it has to stink....right?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Old timers used it for fleas on dogs...crush the leaves up and wipe them on a dog, fill an old sock with leaves and throw it under a couch if they are in the house.

Stuff is toxic to fleas...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Black locust is my new favorite wood for the stove. It is naturally dryer than most and splits easy. When you burn it it does take a bit longer to get going but DANG it burns hot and slow. Last a long time. Longer than oak i think.

And i have 4.5 cords of it to burn this year. The rest (1.5 more cord) is a bit of maple, cherry, cotton wood ([emoji2961]), oak and a tiny bit of black walnut

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
I like it a little :D.
Added 2 buckets of green black locust(sorry if that's confusing to some lol) to the green wood pile yesterday, 2 buckets to the ready to split for this or next yr pile, then six 5-8" rounds around the stove to dry off a bit(from the rain), and filled almost the whole wood rack in the house with 2-4" dead limbs :sweet:.
Currently have 5 of the small sticks in there and the stove is running at 575f :havingarest:.
Not sure I posted this picture here, if you look to the back left theres more dead standing that blew over and is now dead leaning, but this was the green wood pile before yesterday. This is all from the last 3 weeks, I still have a little white oak I need to split next to this pile, I wasn't expecting this pile at all, it's all storm damage from the house :baba:.
This is about 6-7' tall, kinda hard to tell.
Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 8.54.23 AM.png

Here’s a throwback to when Mustang Mike had big blocks under his hood

That was my first Archery Deer, and the largest deer I have ever taken. I believe his hoofs are touching the ground in that picture.

It was early 1980s, and I had actually just sold my 3 Mustangs (2 big blocks and a 302) to buy my 1980 Pinto Station Wagon … my first new car!

It hauled that deer home from my Aunt's farm near Utica (about a 4 hour drive), and hauled the firewood I needed to heat my house for a few years. If I get a chance to scan it, I'll post a pic.

That was my first Archery Deer, and the largest deer I have ever taken. I believe his hoofs are touching the ground in that picture.

It was early 1980s, and I had actually just sold my 3 Mustangs (2 big blocks and a 302) to buy my 1980 Pinto Station Wagon … my first new car!

It hauled that deer home from my Aunt's farm near Utica (about a 4 hour drive), and hauled the firewood I needed to heat my house for a few years. If I get a chance to scan it, I'll post a pic.
Must be a Stihl thing Mike. :laugh: My first new car was a 1984 Pinto station wagon .

Well, no wood scrounged up this past weekend but aa the wife and I were on our way to a turkey dinner the wife asked why I was turning around.

The chainsaw I said ...

26af959688a4553ce43a2e7019691a0b.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Truck update: Engines a total loss. 10k Crate GM engine. GM is kicking in $3400 towards labor and a pretty loaner till its done. Had it been 3 months ago $200 deductible... Yeah he put a 4yr bumper to bumper on the repaired truck.

Loaner
signal-2019-10-15-170721.jpg

So at least he can salvage most of his bow hunting trip. Might as well that moneys already spent. Life's U turns... Gotta roll through em!

By 1980 the Pinto gas tank problem was fixed, but the reputation doomed the car anyway.

A little known fact: The (non power) rack and pinion steering in the Pinto was so good that it was used in the DeLorean's!!!

It also had front disc brakes w/o power assist (that worked real darn well). I called it my 4 speed go kart, but it had a lot of good features.

I once put 2 large Red Oak rounds in the back of it (the back seat folded flat), they were way too heavy to lift, I rolled them onto the bumper and into the back, they almost touched the ceiling. I thought the front of the car was going to come off the ground, I wish I had a pic!

Back