McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 765828
Hello everyone. I’m new here and this is my first post so bear with me. A web search for info on McCulloch saws led me here.
Anyways I Picked up this PM 850 at a yard sale down the block last weekend. I’m not an arborist by any means, I’m just your average homeowner who is familiar with saws, but when I seen an older saw with a big bar on it, and a tag that says $65. I couldn’t get out of there with it quick enough!

When I got it home I did the basic checks, added fresh mix, set the choke, and pulled the cord. She lit right off and idled, throttle response is excellent. Did a few test cuts in maple with no problems, chain needs a sharpening but otherwise looks good. It’s a .404 pitch 96DL so 32 inch bar ?
I was so tickled with my find I’ve picked up two more older saws in the last week! One a homelite xl12 and a McCulloch mini Mac 30. Needless to say I am hooked! Looks like the shop stove will be burning Tamarack next year instead of orchard trimmings.
You should definitely post in " you suck"

View attachment 765828
Hello everyone. I’m new here and this is my first post so bear with me. A web search for info on McCulloch saws led me here.
Anyways I Picked up this PM 850 at a yard sale down the block last weekend. I’m not an arborist by any means, I’m just your average homeowner who is familiar with saws, but when I seen an older saw with a big bar on it, and a tag that says $65. I couldn’t get out of there with it quick enough!

When I got it home I did the basic checks, added fresh mix, set the choke, and pulled the cord. She lit right off and idled, throttle response is excellent. Did a few test cuts in maple with no problems, chain needs a sharpening but otherwise looks good. It’s a .404 pitch 96DL so 32 inch bar ?
I was so tickled with my find I’ve picked up two more older saws in the last week! One a homelite xl12 and a McCulloch mini Mac 30. Needless to say I am hooked! Looks like the shop stove will be burning Tamarack next year instead of orchard trimmings.

Down here you would be called a "jammy prick" lol lol wow man well done

I just ran my super 7-10 today for the first time actually cutting wood. It has a 22" partner, roller nose bar on it. 3/8 chain. I was more than impressed with it. Cutting red oak about 20" diameter at the biggest. Ive read how it has more snot than the pm700 and now i see why that is said. It really has some grunt and will definately make the neighbors look. Shes loud and as buckin billy ray would say ..." she cuts!!"

Down here you would be called a "jammy prick" lol lol wow man well done

Lol. After I found out what I had I almost felt like I needed to take the lady more money. But she seemed more than happy to get rid of it. I told my wife not to sell my stuff like that after I kick off!

Got that killswitch mounted up and I see now how it grounds out with the frame - nice solid mechanism.

What is the correct way to route the killswitch connector? Does it snake down one of those channels on the left near the manual oil knob?

IMG_0574.JPG

Today the macs shined. As usual of course. Started cutting with the 7-10 and just finshed a full tank thru the 850. Im very happy with that saw. I was cutting some white oak this evening with it. It likes fuel but it is so conmfortable to operate. Tomorrow im starting off with my pm8200, 24" bar. Done for the day though. I got a great start to cutting today. After the morning rain ill go again.

Thanks guys! I didn’t know what I had until I started searching on the web, and then I couldn’t believe it. I own a stihl ms271 I bought new a few years ago, and before that I’ve just owned the little poulan cheapies so this is my first foray into vintage big CC saws and I’m hooked.

Like Mr. Mark said, you’ve got the best 10 series saw they made, for every reason in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, i got it off ebay from a seller who got it from Mark H. The guy still sells them but the yellow one was 13 dollars. He was trying to figure out his prices i think when i got it. Now hes asking $32.00. He told me he had more in it than 13 bucks, oh well.

Timing is way off. Go over the ignition from the flywheel and key to the module and plug. Everything. Start by ensuring you actually have the correct flywheel and coil.

Never really messed around with Timing before. This short block that Bob Johnson sent me had a flywheel key already in place and I just fit the flywheel from the Pro Mac 10-10 over it. The fit was snug. I wouldn't imagine the flywheel would be any different from a Pro Mac 10-10 to a Pro Mac 10-10S. The flywheel/coil gap was pretty tight. Not sure on exact spec but it's about as close to the flywheel it could be without touching. Not sure if I could even fit a business card down in there. Might just try a new flywheel and coil altogether..

Back