Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped my Silverado at the dealer today to get fixed, somebody backed into the bumper, pushed it into the bed, and never stopped. I got a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe as a loaner. Didn’t realize how much I liked my truck until I drove that thing.

When I get oak I break it into 2 classes, red or white, I don’t go any further down the family tree than that. Ash have been dead around here so long that I try to avoid cutting any standing trees. Last one I dropped started to fall and the trunk let go about 5’ above the felling cut. Pretty sure I melted the soles on my boots vacating the area.

Its funny how different the trees are just county’s apart. There are a lot of oak, maple, black locust, cherry in my areas.

Go one county north and there is a lot of pine in the mix

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

The locust borer moved into my area back in the 90s and killed lots of it. BL is an imported species and was planted around homesteads for posts, beams, etc. I harvested every stick I could get permission in a 30 mile radius of he house for about 10 years, still have 50 plus cords in the stash. I mix it with willow and other 'soft' woods to make it last. Best score was a 4 acre clear cut with logs up to 30' dbh. Love that stuff, fun to cut/split, not so much fun piling brush.

Ok, derail, not wood. Been seeing ads on tv for a new movie coming in November. MIDWAY!!! Finally a movie that might be worth seeing.

I hope it's not too over the top. I liked the original Midway movie and other war movies of that era like Sink the Bismark and the Battle of Britain. My mother was a history teacher who taught me much about WW2. I liked the use of actual ships and planes - eg. the Bismark was portrayed by HMS Vanguard, the last British battleship and the Battle of Britain had real Spitfires and Heinkels. Even Memphis Belle used real Flying Fortresses. The chest beating and romantic elements of present day depictions of that era are unrealistic which is a turn off for me. But I suppose they do what they think will put bums on seats.

OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG

emoji41.png
emoji41.png
emoji41.png

9b2cd7904ada6181f564d98f7c0666d8.jpg

ac6b9d5cd8dc2dbb0a24b7bee678332c.plist

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM
emoji231.png

We're going to need a full explanation.

The locust borer moved into my area back in the 90s and killed lots of it. BL is an imported species and was planted around homesteads for posts, beams, etc. I harvested every stick I could get permission in a 30 mile radius of he house for about 10 years, still have 50 plus cords in the stash. I mix it with willow and other 'soft' woods to make it last. Best score was a 4 acre clear cut with logs up to 30' dbh. Love that stuff, fun to cut/split, not so much fun piling brush.

Locust is awesome for splitting. When I split it, I feel like @LondonNeil felt like when he felt like that Paul Bunyan guy :muscle:.

I hope it's not too over the top. I liked the original Midway movie and other war movies of that era like Sink the Bismark and the Battle of Britain. My mother was a history teacher who taught me much about WW2. I liked the use of actual ships and planes - eg. the Bismark was portrayed by HMS Vanguard, the last British battleship and the Battle of Britain had real Spitfires and Heinkels. Even Memphis Belle used real Flying Fortresses. The chest beating and romantic elements of present day depictions of that era are unrealistic which is a turn off for me. But I suppose they do what they think will put bums on seats.

We're going to need a full explanation.

Locust is awesome for splitting. When I split it, I feel like @LondonNeil felt like when he felt like that Paul Bunyan guy :muscle:.

Explanation.....?

There is no explanation needed for buy a 3120 so I’ll pull a quote from Joe Dirt.

How exactly is a rainbow made, how exactly does the sunset, how exactly does the posi-trac on the rear end of a Plymouth work....? IT JUST DOES![emoji1787]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I’ve got the biggest apple tree I’ve ever seen give to me to cut down and buck next week. There’s a restaurant in town that sells dinners of pulled pork, brisket and ribs so I figured I might try to pick up a couple extra bucks and sell some to him. Stopped this morning and talked to his wife, “ We don’t use wood to smoke our stuff.” Ok!!!!! Also had a guy contact me about 6 oak trees he had cut down, already limbed and the limbs burned, I can have all the trunks, he wants them out of the back yard. I can drive right up to them. PTL
I'll take the apple if you don't want it. Of course you'll have to deliver :laugh:

I hope it's not too over the top. I liked the original Midway movie and other war movies of that era like Sink the Bismark and the Battle of Britain. My mother was a history teacher who taught me much about WW2. I liked the use of actual ships and planes - eg. the Bismark was portrayed by HMS Vanguard, the last British battleship and the Battle of Britain had real Spitfires and Heinkels. Even Memphis Belle used real Flying Fortresses. The chest beating and romantic elements of present day depictions of that era are unrealistic which is a turn off for me. But I suppose they do what they think will put bums on seats. .

Agreed. Not much worse than when they butcher a historic film that could have been awesome. I’m hoping this is a good one.

Judging by the cast they are trying to appeal to multiple age groups although younger folks don’t usually have interest in history.

Every now and then good luck and good timing come together.

I brought my splitter home on Fri after it spent more than a month at a friends house in CT (where I have the Red Maple, Ash and Black Cherry). Was away for the WE (at the cabin), then started using the splitter on Monday. Had not used it for 5 min, and the bolt connecting the piston to the splitting head snapped.

Good thing last year I purchased a box of bolts to put Vices on the work benches I make. They are exactly the right size, and just a 1/2" too long, so I used one and cut the excess off.

Since the splitter was home, and I had the bolt, it was a quick repair. If it had happened early in a day in CT, I would have been pissed!

Every now and then good luck and good timing come together.

I brought my splitter home on Fri after it spent more than a month at a friends house in CT (where I have the Red Maple, Ash and Black Cherry). Was away for the WE (at the cabin), then started using the splitter on Monday. Had not used it for 5 min, and the bolt connecting the piston to the splitting head snapped.

Good thing last year I purchased a box of bolts to put Vices on the work benches I make. They are exactly the right size, and just a 1/2" too long, so I used one and cut the excess off.

Since the splitter was home, and I had the bolt, it was a quick repair. If it had happened early in a day in CT, I would have been pissed!
Every so often the stars align. I usually end up finding whatever I need the day after I buy a replacement lol.

No problem, I’ll just bring it to the GTG.
I bought a dump truck load of Apple a few years ago. Some was cut longer than I like so I filled up a couple of watermelon bins and put it on CL. Friggin people were driving 40 miles for it :wtf: $60 a bin. Not quite a 1/4 cord.

There's a retelling of the battle of midway coming? One to watch out for. I also agree that the old 50s and 60s war films were great, by simply telling the amazing stories. I'll add a few to the list.
Reach for the skies
Cruel sea
Zulu ;) (give it a chance)

Although Brits always get a bit miffed when Hollywood sticks yanks in and messes with history... Whether it's simply American actors to broaden appeal (there were no American prisoners in stalag luft 3), or when story changes make it seem ww2 started in 41 and wasn't fought by a coalition!

That said, Steve McQueen was a great addition to the great escape.

Not a film but if you haven't watched it (where have you been!?). Band of Brothers is fantastic sorry telling (although the monty bashing over market garden irks... But probably reflects what the American soldiers involved felt)
A bridge too far ?

Its good stuff. Burns real hot I would never turn it down. Guess most people think its sacrilege to burn it for heat.
On the charts it’s higher btu than oak. I’m gonna keep it, just thought if the guy wanted to buy a truckload or 2 I wouldn’t turn down a few extra bucks. I’ll try to remember to get pics before I start cutting. Gonna depend now on how much rain we get.

Latest posts

Back