McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gowheeling,

Nice saw and great price. The dawgs look to be a custom addition. I see lots of 850s with bent bottom plates from push-back, but I would wager that yours was bent intentionally. I like saws that have a history and your appears to have one.

Ron

thanks Ron. It definitely has history. I’ll be telling the story of how I came upon it for years to come. It’s too bad I can’t talk to the previous owner. I used to see him damn near every day, out on his porch, smoking a cigarette. Then I didn’t see him for a while. Then one day all his tools were for sale in the yard. I drove by three times before I finally stopped and bought that saw. Guess it was meant to be.

Never really messed around with Timing before. This short block that Bob Johnson sent me had a flywheel key already in place and I just fit the flywheel from the Pro Mac 10-10 over it. The fit was snug. I wouldn't imagine the flywheel would be any different from a Pro Mac 10-10 to a Pro Mac 10-10S. The flywheel/coil gap was pretty tight. Not sure on exact spec but it's about as close to the flywheel it could be without touching. Not sure if I could even fit a business card down in there. Might just try a new flywheel and coil altogether.[/QUOTE

Flames shooting out the muffler is certainly an indication that something is way off. Too much fuel not igniting at the right time (or completely) or backfiring can be caused by a few things and timing is certainly something to investigate. Also check the plug for fouling and the plug lead for a possible insulation break that could allow arcing and a diminished spark which could result in partial ignition but leave un-burned fuel. May also want to tear down the short block just to make sure the piston isn't somehow damaged or installed backward. Just randomly thinking out loud now...

I'll try changing out the plug. It's brand new but maybe it's a lemon. I think I used the same plug on both powerheads and had same issues. I'll check the plug wire while I'm at it. Tearing down will be a last resort lol.

I'm not 100percent sure but if it's the 1 piece 1 like the 850 I think it does I don't own any 81 or 850 so I could be talking out my keister lol. I'm sure there is like 3. Points coil the early sp81 electronic and the later 1 piece electronic and the 600 series is same with longer lead on it.

Someone speak up if I'm wrong

I'll try changing out the plug. It's brand new but maybe it's a lemon. I think I used the same plug on both powerheads and had same issues. I'll check the plug wire while I'm at it. Tearing down will be a last resort lol.

I usually just run my finger down the plug wire while pulling the starter to find a break.
There's like 4 different flywheels.

No, its actually wearing a 7 tooth .325 pitch rim sprocket and yes it is very impressive. Id say its very comparable to the 7-10 only lighter.
I take it the 6-10 is for bucking limbs duty?
If the clutch wasn't an out board I'd probably mess around with sprocket gearing more.
I'd bet with an 18" .325 that saw would pull a 9 tooth just dandy.

So I picked up a ratty Pro Mac 60 to pinch the muffler / clutch cover / dog spikes for the 7-10A. $70 hurt for a few parts but I had no alternative as parts are hard to come by. The spiderwebs in the fuel tank was an ominous sign but luckily the exhaust wasn't rusted out and a bit of sandblasting and paint will clean it up nice.

I might clean up the cylinder and oil casing and mount it in my shed as I like the look of the engine.

I cant work out whats wrong with the oiling system though? Any ideas?

IMG_0582.JPG

So I picked up a ratty Pro Mac 60 to pinch the muffler / clutch cover / dog spikes for the 7-10A. $70 hurt for a few parts but I had no alternative as parts are hard to come by. The spiderwebs in the fuel tank was an ominous sign but luckily the exhaust wasn't rusted out and a bit of sandblasting and paint will clean it up nice.

I might clean up the cylinder and oil casing and mount it in my shed as I like the look of the engine.

I cant work out whats wrong with the oiling system though? Any ideas?

View attachment 766160

Could be that new instant oil in there you just add water!

I also have burned up pm 605. If I can save the cylinder anyone have a line on a piston?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Would anybody have a line on a PM700 jug and piston?

OEM pistons can still be found but you're not likely to find a cylinder unless the rest of the saw comes with it. Aftermarket pistons are out there with most reports not being very favorable on those. As Jethro suggests, inspect the cylinder carefully for the possibility of cleaning it up and re-using it unless it's totally gouged up and trashed.

There is another option too.. depending on the intended use of the saw you can always find a 10-10 runner or nearly runner in its various forms and put your tank starter and clutch cover on to the 10-10 block and it will look the same sound the same ish and cut wood. Then when a decent 700 shows up do the same to it and you will have two Mac's for parts to see out your days lol.

There is another option too.. depending on the intended use of the saw you can always find a 10-10 runner or nearly runner in its various forms and put your tank starter and clutch cover on to the 10-10 block and it will look the same sound the same ish and cut wood. Then when a decent 700 shows up do the same to it and you will have two Mac's for parts to see out your days lol.
Spoken like a true sufferer of CAD.

Todays cutting went very well. I cut all day with the pm8200. It had one hiccup. The saw at one point would not shut off. Turns out the shut off wire came off the coil. Must be too much vibration. If anyone evervran one youll understand that. It vibrates way more than other 82cc macs. But it ran great and strong. Sounded awesome with the 850 muffler i got on it. Ran 4 tanks of fuel thru it today. Its now cleaned up and on to the next saw....sp81, the first mcculloch i ever bought. Put in a new cylinder and piston kit. Changed out the fixed jet carb for a sdc 44a. It runs very well. Its my go to saw. Im anxious to run it. Ive got 2 cord stacked, 4 more to go. .....till tomorrow. 15712608039082850717895239057376.jpg

Back