New MS462 C-M...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This seems to be the largest MS462 thread, so I will post here.

Ran a brand new one this week: never been run in wood, new 25" bar, new STIHL RS chain. Weight was impressive, speed was impressive, but I was able to bog it down several times cutting up a variety of wood (storm damaged willow, spruce, maple, etc.). Anyone else? First impressions, but I do not recall the MS461 doing this, and I did not have them side-by-side for comparison. Does this saw have less torque than the MS461? Maybe because it was brand new? Just my imagination? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Philbert

Less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems to like the 8 pin with the 25" bar. I put an ES bar on it to play with. I think I like the balance better with it than the Light.

I think its slightly more powerful than the 362. :happybanana:
Not to offend anyone, but I've seen pasta factories that don't make noodles this well...:baaa:View attachment 766094 View attachment 766095

If it's only slightly more powerful than a 362, then no thanks for me. The 362 is the joker of whole Stihl pro line anyway. My 360 Pro, 036, and Dolmar 6100 will run circles around the 362 that I HAD. I sold it to my brother because he loved it, but it wasn't anywhere near what my 360/036/6100 are.

I grabbed another NIB 461 this week and a 066 last week. Have a mint 026 Pro on the way as well and have been wanting to try a 462, but if runs like the 362 turds, I will pass...

If it's only slightly more powerful than a 362, then no thanks for me. The 362 is the joker of whole Stihl pro line anyway. My 360 Pro, 036, and Dolmar 6100 will run circles around the 362 that I HAD. I sold it to my brother because he loved it, but it wasn't anywhere near what my 360/036/6100 are.

I grabbed another NIB 461 this week and a 066 last week. Have a mint 026 Pro on the way as well and have been wanting to try a 462, but if runs like the 362 turds, I will pass...

I guess my sarcasm didn't come through the writing. It's definitely a lot more powerful than the 362.

Haha. No sir, my sarcasm meter is evidently not functioning properly today.

I am glad to hear it is a big improvement over the 362...

It certainly has more power and weight. It is a lot closer to my 661 R than to the 362 in both regards. Weighs more in the hand than I thought it would, considering the published specs. I went with the 25" and I have no doubt that it will handle the 28" well, but I have a 661 for that and bigger bars. The 362 wears a 20". I've heard that some run a 25" on 362's, but I have never tried as I think the 20" is about the biggest loop it will pull effectively.

It certainly has more power and weight. It is a lot closer to my 661 R than to the 362 in both regards. Weighs more in the hand than I thought it would, considering the published specs. I went with the 25" and I have no doubt that it will handle the 28" well, but I have a 661 for that and bigger bars. The 362 wears a 20". I've heard that some run a 25" on 362's, but I have never tried as I think the 20" is about the biggest loop it will pull effectively.

I got the sarcasm! LOL! I moved from a 362 to 462, though mine in a non M tronic, and agree with power assessment. 20 on the 362 is all it wants, and the 462 plays with a 25, and no worries it would run a 28 with ease, possibly even bigger depending on wood. I did not find the 362 to be the dog so many claim it is, in fact I find it quite a nice saw, but for the little extra weight of the 462, it just makes sense to jump up to it (if you have the extra $$cents$$, that is!)

I got the sarcasm! LOL! I moved from a 362 to 462, though mine in a non M tronic, and agree with power assessment. 20 on the 362 is all it wants, and the 462 plays with a 25, and no worries it would run a 28 with ease, possibly even bigger depending on wood. I did not find the 362 to be the dog so many claim it is, in fact I find it quite a nice saw, but for the little extra weight of the 462, it just makes sense to jump up to it (if you have the extra $$cents$$, that is!)

I've never had any complaints about my 362. Runs great and cuts what I need it to.

A well broke in saw will feel a fair amount stronger from both an increase in HP & a decrease in friction as things loosen up a bit. I think Stihl got the 462 fairly right, nothing is perfect but the trend of pro saws getting heavier seems to have stopped at Stihl, which is a good thing.

A well broke in saw will feel a fair amount stronger from both an increase in HP & a decrease in friction as things loosen up a bit. I think Stihl got the 462 fairly right, nothing is perfect but the trend of pro saws getting heavier seems to have stopped at Stihl, which is a good thing.

I'm hoping to see improved performance from my 462 with break-in. I have just shy of 3 tanks through it. Don't get me wrong, it has good power and runs smoothly, (It sounds like a Saab turbo to me) but it doesn't come close to the raw power of the 661. I know it will never match the 661, but I hope to get a bit more oomph out of it after some more tanks. All my M-Tronic saws seemed to wake up after about 10-12 tanks. I also went back to the 7 pin for the time being.

I'm hoping to see improved performance from my 462 with break-in. I have just shy of 3 tanks through it. Don't get me wrong, it has good power and runs smoothly, (It sounds like a Saab turbo to me) but it doesn't come close to the raw power of the 661. I know it will never match the 661, but I hope to get a bit more oomph out of it after some more tanks. All my M-Tronic saws seemed to wake up after about 10-12 tanks. I also went back to the 7 pin for the time being.

Latest posts

Back