Straight Gassed MS461 Value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
I recently ran across a year old MS461 saw with 24" bar for $200. Said it was well maintained but straight gassed. It is currently in a few pieces, but looks clean. Assuming it is all there and everything besides the piston and cylinder are good, does that sound like a bad deal? Baileys has an OEM piston and jug for $365, but I also found a meteor set for less than $150, and Hyway even cheaper. Anybody have any thoughts on going that route?

OEM always appears to be best if it's financially do-able but I used the Meteor kit on an old Husqvarna and it worked flawlessly, also had an option to go bigger and add a decomp button and it was about $175 US.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

$365. for a piston? Damn!!! I have rebuilt my motorcycles many times and the most I have spent for a piston is less then 150 for a top of the line race piston. 365+200 puts you at 565 for a used saw given you don't have to buy any other parts.
If the jug need cleaning up it will cost you more to have it punched out. What does a new 461 cost? How many hours are on the saw? I would low ball his price because you really don't know what you are getting and how much it will cost to rebuild.

$365. for a piston? Damn!!! I have rebuilt my motorcycles many times and the most I have spent for a piston is less then 150 for a top of the line race piston. 365+200 puts you at 565 for a used saw given you don't have to buy any other parts.
If the jug need cleaning up it will cost you more to have it punched out. What does a new 461 cost? How many hours are on the saw? I would low ball his price because you really don't know what you are getting and how much it will cost to rebuild.
That price was P&C according to the op's post.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

You can find a OEM piston & cylinder MUCH cheaper than Bailey's. I just saw 2 different listings on Ebay earlier today for BNIB OEM 461 piston & cylinders for around $250ish...

I order quite a bit of stuff from them, but Stihl OEM parts I do not.

Well the guy wrote me back and said a saw shop told him the mains seemed good and the damage was minimal due to the saw only being run a short time.

He also said it runs but cuts out when in the cut, and when looking through the exhaust port, he said it doesnt look bad.

If I could get by with just a new piston and rings, it may be worth pursuing for me.

Yes I totally agree. I didn't realize newer stihls parts were so expensive. If you are going to keep the saw than at $250 ish for a new top end still makes the saw a good buy. Might as well freshen up the other consumables too. All in $500 for a clean 461 with fresh top end and consumables seems like a good deal too me. Then send me the saw to pump it up :rock:

I recently ran across a year old MS461 saw with 24" bar for $200. Said it was well maintained but straight gassed. It is currently in a few pieces, but looks clean. Assuming it is all there and everything besides the piston and cylinder are good, does that sound like a bad deal? Baileys has an OEM piston and jug for $365, but I also found a meteor set for less than $150, and Hyway even cheaper. Anybody have any thoughts on going that route?
Be better off with a good used 461 with all original parts.

I say go for it, at the best you replace piston, clean cylinder and have a good cheap saw, at worst, you have to split the case.

what have you got to loose, apart from some time and money if it takes more than you expected, but you still end up with a 461, whats wrong with that.

:)

I bought one in decent shape for $450 with a good bar and chain. But that was from a faller I had previously done business with. I'd say anything under $550 if its in decent shape is a good deal. Location plays a big role on prices as well.

Like I said earlier even at $500 all in at least you're getting a saw that you've had your hands on and has a new top end.

I bought one in decent shape for $450 with a good bar and chain. But that was from a faller I had previously done business with. I'd say anything under $550 if its in decent shape is a good deal. Location plays a big role on prices as well.

Like I said earlier even at $500 all in at least you're getting a saw that you've had your hands on and has a new top end.
Only if its an OEM cyl and piston. Aftermarket really aint up to snuff with OEM.

Back