McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays cutting went very well. I cut all day with the pm8200. It had one hiccup. The saw at one point would not shut off. Turns out the shut off wire came off the coil. Must be too much vibration. If anyone evervran one youll understand that. It vibrates way more than other 82cc macs. But it ran great and strong. Sounded awesome with the 850 muffler i got on it. Ran 4 tanks of fuel thru it today. Its now cleaned up and on to the next saw....sp81, the first mcculloch i ever bought. Put in a new cylinder and piston kit. Changed out the fixed jet carb for a sdc 44a. It runs very well. Its my go to saw. Im anxious to run it. Ive got 2 cord stacked, 4 more to go. .....till tomorrow. View attachment 766257

Need some cutting video from you Vinny

I plead the 5th. :laugh:

Hahahaha

My 1st running mac was my pm800. And then 9 months later...20190302_163821.jpg
There's since been more ofcourse and parts saws once word gets out the phone rings with people with yellow saws

Todays cutting went very well. I cut all day with the pm8200. It had one hiccup. The saw at one point would not shut off. Turns out the shut off wire came off the coil. Must be too much vibration. If anyone evervran one youll understand that. It vibrates way more than other 82cc macs.

I haven't run my PM8200 much since I finally got it going but did notice the vibration. Maybe the three piece crank isn't balanced as well as they intended it to be?

Here's an update on my flea market pro mac 10-10s , got the tank and manifold gaskets straightened out and made 2 new bar plates. I ordered a cheap 16" roller nose for it and it idles great revs up just like it should so I put it in some tulip poplar and oak ,was cutting good and fast just like you'd expect,... then it started getting weak in the cut and it didn't feel like fuel so I thought maybe the spark plug or lead was loose but when I touched it while the saw was running it tried to start ME ! Anyway don't see any breaks in the lead wire so I'll probably swap the ignition out with my spare tomorrow. 20191016_182959.jpg 20191016_182933.jpg 20191016_182925.jpg

Started tearing down the pm850 to clean it up a bit , and get a better look at the piston/bore condition.
Is this serviceable, or do I need to look into rings etc?
Saw started and ran fine.
View attachment 766334 View attachment 766335
I would not run that!!! It looks real bad, box it up and send it to me though!!:innocent:
Honestly though, it it looks great in that cylinder and the piston is awesome! I would clean the exhaust por up. Meaning remove any and all carbon buildup. Use a small piece of wood of sort. Capture it all as well. Dont knxk it into the cylinder. Stuff a rag in there first. Clean that up and put it back together and go have fun. That looks great. Run it.

Some progress pics on this Mac 7-10A. Wanted to take some pics before I put on all the covers.

I have it basically all finished (all the parts are powdercoated), just waiting on a new air filter / fuel hose and to do some stenciling on the bar and try and hand paint the lettering on both sides (easier said than done)

IMG_0386.JPG IMG_0387.JPG

mac1.jpg mac3.jpg mac34.jpg mac2.jpg

Probably a dumb question - is the ignition coil boot that goes on the spark plug removable? The 7-10A I had had no boot, just a terminal connection, but I have this other Pro Mac 60 that has a boot...I've never tried to install / remove one. I replaced the ignition lead on the Stihl 031 but that just unscrewed from the coil, whereas you cannot do that with the McCulloch from what I see.

Probably a dumb question - is the ignition coil boot that goes on the spark plug removable? The 7-10A I had had no boot, just a terminal connection, but I have this other Pro Mac 60 that has a boot...I've never tried to install / remove one. I replaced the ignition lead on the Stihl 031 but that just unscrewed from the coil, whereas you cannot do that with the McCulloch from what I see.

The Mac's wire unscrew but it's also glued in the hole ,theres a tiny screw post in there.
You can get solid copper core ignition wire from an auto parts store, and any configuration of plug boot , I get mine from summit racing. Oh and any color. 20190811_060059.jpg

I would not run that!!! It looks real bad, box it up and send it to me though!!:innocent:
Honestly though, it it looks great in that cylinder and the piston is awesome! I would clean the exhaust por up. Meaning remove any and all carbon buildup. Use a small piece of wood of sort. Capture it all as well. Dont knxk it into the cylinder. Stuff a rag in there first. Clean that up and put it back together and go have fun. That looks great. Run it.

Right on thanks! I figured it looked good considering the age, but this is my first venture into 2 stroke engines and a second opinion is always nice. I’ll finish clean up and run it!

Saw only has 40PSI of compression. I started taking it apart but shelved it when the weather got warm. Don't think I got the cylinder off it yet but looking in the intake port, did not look promising.

Aww man poor old saw:( keep looking for another 700 they are around put a wanted add in a few places hell even the window of a saw shop may yield. People want reasonable money for a runner but a none runner from someones shed still has plenty chance of a useable cylinder for not much money. My 700 came from the scrap bin it was missing a handle and a couple other we bits it's a sad thought how many have been lost to us that way

Replate is big money but can be done.
Bob Johnson had a couple last time I spoke to him be darned if I can find his number now though.

Some progress pics on this Mac 7-10A. Wanted to take some pics before I put on all the covers.

I have it basically all finished (all the parts are powdercoated), just waiting on a new air filter / fuel hose and to do some stenciling on the bar and try and hand paint the lettering on both sides (easier said than done)

View attachment 766387 View attachment 766388

View attachment 766383 View attachment 766385 View attachment 766386 View attachment 766384

Jerry that thing looks amazing mate well done.

I'm pretty sure the boot will swap over I think I stole the boot off my 1st parts 10-10 and it lives on the 700.

So today was another great day cutting splitting and stacking. Im halfway to my end. I took out both sp81's and i needed more bar at one point so i had a great time making a few cuts with my sp105!! Sorry jethro i did not take any video yet. I got one picture. Im just busy to not want to stop and make a video. Anyway i had 2 surprises while cutting. My sp81 is fitted with a stihl bar and vintage oregon .404 chipper chain. That stuff is very smooth. After cutting rounds i then cut them lengthwise in half so i could then bust em to 1/4's so i can more easily handle them. Seems like a lot but its easier to let the saw work. Anyhow, the chipper chain was better cutting lengthwise for sure than 3/8 skip. I was surprised. Very smooth runner. My first real test of that saw went great. My other first real test was the sp105. Ive never really used it other than goofing off. It has a 36" bar on it. Same .404 chipper chain. That is one really great saw. My dad was lol at my tiny frame holding that beast but it cut so smooth it seemed easy. It was also very fast cutting when it wound out. It was a great day.

So today was another great day cutting splitting and stacking. Im halfway to my end. I took out both sp81's and i needed more bar at one point so i had a great time making a few cuts with my sp105!! Sorry jethro i did not take any video yet. I got one picture. Im just busy to not want to stop and make a video. Anyway i had 2 surprises while cutting. My sp81 is fitted with a stihl bar and vintage oregon .404 chipper chain. That stuff is very smooth. After cutting rounds i then cut them lengthwise in half so i could then bust em to 1/4's so i can more easily handle them. Seems like a lot but its easier to let the saw work. Anyhow, the chipper chain was better cutting lengthwise for sure than 3/8 skip. I was surprised. Very smooth runner. My first real test of that saw went great. My other first real test was the sp105. Ive never really used it other than goofing off. It has a 36" bar on it. Same .404 chipper chain. That is one really great saw. My dad was lol at my tiny frame holding that beast but it cut so smooth it seemed easy. It was also very fast cutting when it wound out. It was a great day.

If your not having some fun using old saws your doing it wrong and should find another hobby.
You sir are doing it right!

Latest posts

Back