Husky185 Help I'm a rookie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Carl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have this saw that was my grandpa's, then it was my dad's, and now it's mine! I need help finding some parts so I can go cut firewood.....actually I am not even sure if this is a 185?saw.jpg

Saws should beat up on wood, not the other way around.
Those parts are NLA new, you’ll need patience to find a tank and top cover.
Wouldn’t be a bad idea to learn on this saw how to change crank seals, fuel line, and impulse line. Try not to break anything else.

Husqvarna 380 CD

'70's Husquvarna 380
Along came saws from overseas that were powerful, streamlined (for easy moving through the brush and sliding along the trunk when limbing), vibration-isolated for your hands, equipped with chain brake and electronic ignition, and were quiet besides. Stihl (from Germany) and Husqvarna, Jonsereds, and Partner (from Sweden) took over the market.

This 380 CD was the flagship in Husqvarna's line for a while. It was a saw that, Husqvarna said (1973), "...because of its compact design, is ideally suited for harvesting in heavy forests, with some limbing work."

With 77 cc (4.5 cu in.) it had the power (about 4.5 hp) to be a good northeastern sawlog saw. This particular saw may well be the first saw used on the East Coast with a chain brake, although the one shown was not the original brake -- it was replaced with the "Swede-O-matic" brake when it came out a couple of years later (a pin on the handle bar can trip the brake trigger by inertia alone). There was a chain-catcher in case the chain was thrown or broke, and a guard for the right hand. The "banana bar" came about when Oregon realized that the smaller the nose radius, the less the kick. Unfortunately, since it was not symmetrical you couldn't flip the bar over to equalize the wear. But it was a civilized saw at last -- even though only the top cover was plastic; the rest was all metal so it weighed about 18.7 pounds with bar and chain (about the same as the 1958 Mac D30!)

http://www.vannattabros.com/saw3.html

Ahh geez thanks Butter Cup! You guys kick ass and I really appreciate all your help.....Where can a guy get crank seals, fuel line, and what the hell is a impulse line?

Back