Found this bow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC Cole

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Still stumbling around this site.
Recently ran across this Husqvarna NOS bar. I was gonna put it on a 55 Rancher but found out that it would interfere with the exhaust. Had this old Jonsered 2065 that I had gotten but had problems with so Its been under a bunch of junk , Well cleaned out the tank found out what the previous problem was ( amazed I got it running) , Looks like the bow will mount with minimal modification on the upper guard. I know some love them and some not so much. I have never used one , but it looks like it would save my back cutting firewood. My wood cutting partner said get rid of it since it is not meant for hardwood. Also I have no idea what chain to run but it looks like 3/8 .50 but my 72 link chain is way short.

Attachments

• 2019-10-15 17.17.00-2.jpg
    2019-10-15 17.17.00-2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • 2019-10-15 17.17.08.jpg
    2019-10-15 17.17.08.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 2019-10-15 17.21.15-2.jpg
    2019-10-15 17.21.15-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 2019-10-15 17.26.31-2.jpg
    2019-10-15 17.26.31-2.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 2019-10-15 17.26.40-2.jpg
    2019-10-15 17.26.40-2.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 57
That is a nice find. The Husqvarna 61 and 181 series were the last generation of Husqvarna saws that people were using bows on around here. Not common at all, however not rare.

I have seen more than a few that ran .325 x 9 setups. Most just ran .375 or .404.

You might find it easier to put the chain on the bar and then the bar with the chain on the saw.

Sharp chain. Sharp chain. Sharp chain.

Read the manual, keep the guards in place. Reread the manual.

Take your time if you haven't ever used one. Even better to have someone show you how to properly use one. Must respect it at all times. I run mine in hard wood and soft wood, mostly hard wood, I don't burn pine. Keep a firm grip on the saw the whole time and don't force it in the cut. Keep the dogs against the wood at all times.

Steve Sidwell

Nice.
Be careful, but that kind of goes without saying....:eek:
I modified a bow last year to fit a 660, and played around with it a little. I learned several things:
Don't run the chain excessively tight, your friction goes WAY up and it wants a lot more power. Same basic size bow bar as you have and my 660 wasn't exactly overkill.
These things are the cat's meow for limbing! blocking up to the size of the bar was decent, but anything beyond that was a big pain in....

You have the guards in place, probably a good thing.

And you'll probably want a backup saw also.
327f1c8b5a98f4f1b74142da49d560bf.jpg

Steve Sidwell

I think mine has an 82 link chain, could be wrong. Would have to check one of mine and see. Easier to go have a chain made once the bow is installed.

Steve Sidwell
Is that a Husky bow on the far Poulan ? 82 link you think? hmmmm. What size ? guess I better find one of those chain gauges .. Thanks

Want to sell it? Nice find btw
I may if it doesn't do anything for me. I need to spend some money on it first so that selling it is a winning proposition ( I will save money if its not here for me to spend more money on it.:laugh:) The same guy has a Brand new ( no gas or oil ever in it ) . I want it ( can get it right) but I really don't need it. ( I have learned to distinguish , sometimes ,,,between wants and needs.)
https://eastnc.craigslist.org/tls/d/rocky-mount-stihl-ms362c-newno-bar/6984841470.html
In coastal carolina I never burn over 2 cords and I got 5 running saws :chainsaw: and some projects . I only have 3 running motorcycle and a number of projects.. wonder why the Ex left ????? hmmmmm

Chocowinity. about 20 miles from ECU or 70 from Morehead. What is a CAD ? Computer Assisted Design ?

Chainsaw. A Disorder. It's like lays potato chips. More and more. I water ski that river almost jump off the bridge once. Hotdogs in little Washington off the dock. There when that house blew ☝

Chainsaw. A Disorder. It's like lays potato chips. More and more. I water ski that river almost jump off the bridge once. Hotdogs in little Washington off the dock. There when that house blew ☝
ate Bill's yesterday. One of my wood cutting fiends I mean friends used to jump off the bridge in Grimesland to barefoot .

Latest posts

Back