Newb ? new ms250, going from 18'' bar to 16'"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a 10" bar on that saw and it's a maniac power horse, put a 20" on it and it's not - there is a difference. Besides that excessive bar length that you're not using is bad for maneuverability.
Around where I live that saw is usually used with a 13-14" bar, that is plenty of power at up to 26-28" when you cut from both sides.
Plus 1 on this.
I'd put a 15 inch Oregon speed cut bar/chain on it.
The shorter bar will get more oil so it plugs up less and cut faster due to the shorter length and narrower kerf.

You can also get picco/3/8lp kits for that saw that will be even faster with less plugging up.
No saw under 60cc gets a 18 inch bar in my area, I don't get why little saws come with them at all, they don't pump out enough oil to run them or have enough power.

Have you tried using "bar" oil?
yes, what i'm using is just standard bar oil. If stihl uses some sort of specialty bar oil that's pretty ****ing sad. I remember my dad using you're standard bar oil when it was 10 degrees out, never had a lick of problem cutting. I guess they don't make **** like they used to. This will be the last Stihl product I ever own.

Back