Anybody ever cut up a fiberglass boat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a worthless FRP boat somebody abandoned here that I need to get rid of. I once tried cutting it up with a sawzall but friction heated up the blade FAST and once the blade got hot and lost its hardening/temper, it was like trying to use a plastic saw blade.

Seems like I've seen them cut up with chainsaws somewhere ... has anyone done this? Any tips?

Thanks.

I've never tried to cut fiberglass. How about trying an abrasive cutting wheel? (Wear a mask though, if you try.)

Wear a mask unless you like breathing in fiberglass.... Would a circular saw not work?

Sounds like a situation I had in my neighborhood. Someone ditched a junk fiberglass boat and left a note stating they would return. It was there for six weeks until the city finally came and got it. I was very tempted to haul it to the nearest bus stop so the city would get off their lazy butts and move it asap.

I've got a worthless FRP boat somebody abandoned here that I need to get rid of. I once tried cutting it up with a sawzall but friction heated up the blade FAST and once the blade got hot and lost its hardening/temper, it was like trying to use a plastic saw blade.

Seems like I've seen them cut up with chainsaws somewhere ... has anyone done this? Any tips?

Thanks.
My Coast Guard son has watched Customs cut up go fast drug running fiberglass boats a few times. They used carbide chains and even borrow local fire departments saw if cutting up a large boat. Watching them cut up 250-500 thousand dollar boats brought a tear to his eye. :yes:

You need diamond or carbide tools, like the one AuerX posted a link to. Anything else will last less than 30 seconds. I would use an angle cutter with a diamond blade, yes I have done it before - not a boat but a 1000 liters paraffin tank.

Yes... I have cut up fibreglass dinghies (14 ft ish) ,kerosene tanks, tractor rear tyres (not the bead), fibreglass lorry trailer roofs Fiberglass cuts no trouble(check for reinforcing) however I recommend you do everything you can to keep the fibres out of your lungs and eyes. It also itches like hell, so stop it getting down your shirt somehow, and reckon on a good long shower when you are done and before you cool down, Or you will regret it.
Strangest thing I ever cut up was a 5 gal drum solid full of lead which a builder gave me after they had it in their bonfire for a day....fed it with all the old lead pipe they could find....which I wanted for shotgun pellets, they said I could have it if I could get it out of their pickup alone. Well I couldn't, so lifted it out with a loader, it might have weighed 450 lbs ish.
Cut it into cookies once I got the tin off, then smaller with a sharp axe. still got a few bits of it after 35yrs. Made a lot of shot, and various projectiles. Would have made a good advert for Jonsereds !

Yes... I have cut up fibreglass dinghies (14 ft ish) ,kerosene tanks, tractor rear tyres (not the bead), fibreglass lorry trailer roofs Fiberglass cuts no trouble(check for reinforcing) however I recommend you do everything you can to keep the fibres out of your lungs and eyes. It also itches like hell, so stop it getting down your shirt somehow, and reckon on a good long shower when you are done and before you cool down, Or you will regret it.
Strangest thing I ever cut up was a 5 gal drum solid full of lead which a builder gave me after they had it in their bonfire for a day....fed it with all the old lead pipe they could find....which I wanted for shotgun pellets, they said I could have it if I could get it out of their pickup alone. Well I couldn't, so lifted it out with a loader, it might have weighed 450 lbs ish.
Cut it into cookies once I got the tin off, then smaller with a sharp axe. still got a few bits of it after 35yrs. Made a lot of shot, and various projectiles. Would have made a good advert for Jonsereds !

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...hat-turn-cylinders.334945/page-3#post-6988644

My nieghbor did a tri-hull his brother in law abandoned at his place. Spanking new Jred 2255 cut the boat small enough to toss in a roll off by hand. His brother in law still growls about it.

I cut up a fiberglass car hood recently using a reciprocating saw with a blade made for cutting metal. Just take your time and wear a painter's mask, there's lots of dust. I cut this one up into pieces about 6" by 3" so I could dispose of it easily. I have a trunk lid to do next...

Back