husqvaarna 61 black top rebuild with questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outdoorguy1979

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so I picked up a Husqvarna 61 with a black top a few days ago. the saw was real dirty and nasty, so I did a compression test with 120 psi but did not fill right. I tore the saw apart and saw some scoring on the cylinder and piston.
so here is my question

I'm planning on rebuilding this saw, and was wondering does anyone have any recommendations on a cylinder kit? I found one by hyway but don't know how good they are?

also my 2nd question since I'm replacing the cylinder and piston how good are the big bore kits? do they need modifications as some posts say they do and some don't? or should I just replace the cylinder with a used oem ?
and one last question if I do a big bore swap how big of a bar can i put on the saw? thanks for the input in advance

the data plate says Husqvarna 61
Electrolux motors ab sweeden

just incase someone needs the info I think this saw was made in the 70s?

Top cover is fine, if you did get a 272 top cover it will bolt on. The late model 61 case is the same as the 272 and 268. The late model 61 is the best candidate for making a 272. You'll need the carb bolts from a 272 and maybe the intake setup as well. I can't remember for sure on that one. Since the top end needs replaced the 272 cylinder is the only top end I would consider. Which brand you want to use is on you. I'm sure someone has a 272 cylinder laying around and then you could get a meteor piston to go with it. Hyway and Meteor cylinders are decent. Depends what you want out of the saw.

I've personally ran for at least 8 cords a Hyway BB 372 with their pop up. Great running saw, cylinder looked good and so did the piston. Sold that saw to another member and hes still using it. Never seen the meteor version. I've also ported and ran a 288 Hyway cylinder and it was pretty nice. Does really depends on the model though.

I could be wrong about the the cover, I've never had a black top. If the front cover screw sets more to the front of the top front recoil screw then you will have to drill/tap a new hole. If it's to the rear of that screw it should fit.

Attachments

• DSCN0646.jpg
    DSCN0646.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG00001-20101205-1709.jpg.31a0efd0824148d7afe457e974559820.jpg
    IMG00001-20101205-1709.jpg.31a0efd0824148d7afe457e974559820.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 4
Black top or late model 61 has the same front screw location as the 268 and 272. The older 61 and 266's share the same mounting pattern which will not take a 268 or 272 top cover unless modified.

Those pics you posted though got me thinking. I might be totally wrong about the black top covers. Pretty sure im right about late model 61s though. I thought the black cover 61 was the last one produced. I have a 61 case that will take a 272 top cover. Not sure what cover originally came on it though. Thought I was right about this but i'm not sure now. Sorry. @SawTroll will know for sure.

I'm still looking for good piston and cylinder combo money is tight at the moment. One question I have as I've seen a few posts is, do I need a spacer plate for the base

Latest posts

Back