two of same diaphragm in carb-kits, one gold & one black... redundant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamMann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've seen this often when buying carb kits, where there are two of the same diaphragm included, made of different materials... one gold & one black. Am I supposed to just choose one, or layer them? None of the old carbs I've disassembled have the gold one, only the black one. What is the purpose of the gold one?

Attachments

• carbkit2.jpg
    carbkit2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 16
One flows more than the other and is meant for ethanol fuel ...I believe. Pick your poison either will get the job done.

I searched and the found multiple threads discussing this...

One flows more than the other and is meant for ethanol fuel ...I believe. Pick your poison either will get the job done.

I searched and the found multiple threads discussion this...
Thanks. Which is the better one for ethanol? Also, what did you search for that gave good hits? I searched "gold diaphragm" and found nothing.

A995A0F4-370F-4AC1-BF1E-CC35D4FD6249.jpeg
I've seen this often when buying carb kits, where there are two of the same diaphragm included, made of different materials... one gold & one black. Am I supposed to just choose one, or layer them? None of the old carbs I've disassembled have the gold one, only the black one. What is the purpose of the gold one?
This answer your question?

I haven't found any off them to make an easier cranking unit, than using the black "rubber" diaphragm
(not the black "plastic" ones, I toss those out every time I can get a rubber one or at least the teflon/gold one)

Problem is, ethanol puckers that rubber like a tomato peel on hot asphalt.
Once -ANY- diaphragm (no matter what the material) gets even a tiny bit of curl or ripple in it, it causes these 8~15, hard pulls, to get it cranked, issues.

P.S. If anyone knows who's still selling carb kits with the --Rubber-- diaphragms, I'm interested in ones to fit the more common Zama and Walbro carbs on our string trimmers and backpack blowers.
I'm down to my last couple and No one seems to have anything but the black plastic ones nowdays.

Latest posts

Back