McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swapped the ignition and spark plug on the flea market pro 10-10s, works like a champ!
But it's strange ringing it out in some hard maple and Hickory my ears didn't start bleeding and I couldn't detect any echoes from surrounding hills?
So for the first time I popped the muffler cover off and wow!! Still had the original spark screen. I've haven't seen one yet , I took it out to persevere it.20191017_182115.jpg 20191017_182121.jpg

Some progress pics on this Mac 7-10A. Wanted to take some pics before I put on all the covers.

I have it basically all finished (all the parts are powdercoated), just waiting on a new air filter / fuel hose and to do some stenciling on the bar and try and hand paint the lettering on both sides (easier said than done)

View attachment 766387 View attachment 766388

View attachment 766383 View attachment 766385 View attachment 766386 View attachment 766384
What carburetor is on that saw?

Went to install a bar I bought and painted - turns out they sold me the wrong mount!!! Luckily I hadn't got the stencilling done (bloody hard to not get paint bleed) or I'd have cried.

I gained some good knowledge about powder coating which was the aim (a good ground is key) - I can see some colour / texture differences in the yellow between the parts I did earlier vs later which is solely due to having a better grounding - I'm a perfectionist and probably would have redone some if it wasn't a nightmare to strip of the powdercoat. If you look closely you can see where I put the air filter cover sticker on upside down.

Appreciate all the help from your guys to get this thing together. This saw will complete my little section of vintage saws I have mounted in my shed, so will most likely be the last one I clean up.

mac5.jpg mac6.jpg mac7.jpg

Went to install a bar I bought and painted - turns out they sold me the wrong mount!!! Luckily I hadn't got the stencilling done (bloody hard to not get paint bleed) or I'd have cried.

I gained some good knowledge about powder coating which was the aim (a good ground is key) - I can see some colour / texture differences in the yellow between the parts I did earlier vs later which is solely due to having a better grounding - I'm a perfectionist and probably would have redone some if it wasn't a nightmare to strip of the powdercoat. If you look closely you can see where I put the air filter cover sticker on upside down.

Appreciate all the help from your guys to get this thing together. This saw will complete my little section of vintage saws I have mounted in my shed, so will most likely be the last one I clean up.

View attachment 766627 View attachment 766628 View attachment 766629

Nice job on the powdercoating. A company I used to work beside & knew them very well used to preheat alloys before powdercoating them. They did this for more of an even coating & to lessen the chances of bubbles from the powdercoating. Different thicknesses of alloys heat at different rates & some would not get the right amount of heat in a given time.
And yes, a good surface (grind, surface prep.) is very important in any respect to painting or adhesion.

Looks very nice!!

The first part I ever did I had outgassing problems - since then I bake the part at 450-500F (trying to do the celcius conversion) for an hour, that way when I bake the part at 400F for 10 minutes each coat there wont be an issue.

I sandblasted all the parts I powdercoat for adhesion...easy on the McCulloch as it was originally painted, the Stihl I previously did was powdercoated from the factory so time consuming to remove.

As I stated, biggest issue is the grounding given the powder is electrostatically charged. The grounding that was part of the unit was poor and gave the glossy colours like the yellow an inconsitent gloss....once I got my own grounding rod / 4mm cable grounding, the gloss is consistent. The second coat is tough with poor ground as the powder wont always stick evenly.

View attachment 766695 View attachment 766696my dad bought his yrs ago at a co-op. The next one i bought off a neighbor 20yrs ago. The one on the right i bought at the flea market for $5.00! I think im good for awhile. Haha

Wow what a strange looking type of axe.

I think I’m addicted. 4th saw in less than 2 weeks lol
View attachment 766632

Perfect little 2 saw plan you have now. is the 10-10 a runner? And yeah its down hill now for you hahaha welcome.

View attachment 766627 View attachment 766628 View attachment 766629

Looks nice Jerry. What bar mount have you got?

[QUOTE="Looks nice Jerry. What bar mount have you got?[/QUOTE]

From what I know it's a D176 mount (the bar studs need an 8mm gap in the bar to fit on).

This bar is pretty much what I want - not sure what mount it is - does anybody recognise it and know whether it would fit on the 7-10A (assuming I just want it for my wall and dont care if the oiling holes line up properly etc) / how much effort required to make it fit? I realise I would need a .325 sprocket

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-BAR-CHAIN-COMBO-McCULLOCH-20-SPROCKET-NOSE-BAR-325-050-81-LINK-323217-33/172599142155?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Latest posts

Back