secondary bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
how about using {used engine oil} for a CH mill second bar oilier.
I have a bunch of used strait 30/W.
i would think it would work epa might not think its a good idea
anyone use it ?
thanks

I do, seems to work just fine in my auxiliary oiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All mineral oils contain Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs which are known carcinogens) but used engine oil contains a lot more PAH than new oil. The most common cancer on exposure to mineral oil are skin and scrotal cancers. Used engine oil has also been found to have significantly effects on male rat reproductive systems. Significantly reduce sperm sperm counts, and deformities of the heads and tails of remaining sperm.

Before I found out about the above I tried using used engine oil and disliked the sheer messiness of using it and also found it was not that good a lube - this makes sense otherwise why change your car engine oil. For a few years I used canola but that also has problems so switched to B&C oil made from cleaned/treated used engine oil. The tackiness of the oil is adjusted to my requirement by the supplier and works out somewhere between half and 1/3rd of the cost of new B&C oil.

Other than personal health concerns (which are considerable),
Do you really want heaps of used/dirty petroleum on your land?
Milling requires a lot of oil in one place.

Canola is cheap.
I've paid as little as $2.50 gallon for food grade canola.
Even though it requires a bit more clean up of gear, I'm quite happy using Canola for milling.
A big day can see an easy gallon or more of oil go on the ground. The critter show up in those canola chip piles almost instantly....it's food!
It does require immediate clean up as it can harden up if left for a couple weeks.
Like all other oils, oil melts oil so even if it congeals up you can still clean it off.

Back