Do you ever pay for “free wood drop off”

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I helped a local tree service out a few years back when he needed a jump start.. I just happend to be looking where he dumps wood for the public and there he was stranded. I gave him a jump we talked and I told him I sold wood long story short he has brough me quite a few loads of anything and everything idc what I get because I sell anything and everything from hardwood to soft wood green and seasoned he was happy to here I would take anything any size even chips.. so he has brought me a lot of good n bad but I feel I should give him a little something he keeps saying no not a problem happy to be able to help and have another easy on and out place to dump.. obviously I’m thankful and want to do something so is a $50 gift card for kiwi trip ( local gas station) enough or some venison sausage or donuts and sodas for him and his guys? Or just let him dump and don’t worry

Personally I try to offer stuff to everyone who comes to my place and provides a service. Propane delivery guy, plumber coming to give a bid, driver with a pallet of feed, definitely anyone with a trailer of logs. We produce lots of stuff here like maple syrup, apple cider, veggies, etc, so it's pretty convenient to put together a few cucumbers and tomatoes or a bag of apples. I think that small kindnesses like that are repaid to us many times over. Really just like you giving the guy a tow.

So, long story short, I think it's a great idea to keep the wheels greased, even if he insists it's not necessary. Also, my vote goes to donuts for the crew and some venison for the boss to take home.

Never hurts to be friendly.

Some tree services have to pay to dump a load of wood, or incur lots of expense for fuel and crew driving time, so you may be saving them money.

Giving him a personal gift side steps setting up a payment per load expectation. But it if is really valuable to you, you might want to offer him something more.

Philbert

I see nothing wrong with greasing the wheels so to speak. I have a friend that helps process my firewood for hunting rights. A month ago we needed to be out of town for a week. He came by feed the cats checked on the place while we were gone. Extra 20 miles round trip for him after work. I gave him a $100 cash he gave it back to my wife. I got a card and a $50 dollar gift card to a nice place to eat. He can take his wife out for a nice dinner.

Latest posts

Back