Limbing Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esterbrook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I do a bunch of forest service projects in the Medicine Bow in SE WY. We usually put 70+ trees on the ground in a day in these thinning projects. Most range from 4" to 12" in diameter. I have three saws that get action. Late '70s Echo 500VL, West German Stihl 048, and a new MS271 that was purchased to be an all around to replace the Echo.

The Echo and the 271 have been used from sun up to sun down on these projects (http://www.firewisewyoming.com/) but I'd like a lightweight saw that I can pick up after felling 5-8 trees and limb. The 20" 271 isn't ideal. I'm sure some proud folks might tell me to stop complaining and just use one saw, but I'm not as young as I used to be and would be willing to spend on a little trim saw.

I have a 14" bar - 3005 000 4809 - and 10 chain setup (I bought off a guy) that I could put on a powerhead if you might have some recommendations. The newest version of the MS170 is a possibility (two nut bar not the junk quick adjuster, maybe change out the carb, inexpensive) but I'm also wondering what your thoughts are on a top-handled 193.

Some might want to recommend a Husky or Echo, and I appreciate that, but I'm looking to stay with Stihl for reasons not worthy of addressing here....

Thanks.

The Ms170/180 are very capable and lightweight saws that would work great for limbing. As much as they are a pain to work on they are still good limbing / trail saws. I would go for the 180 due to slightly more power. Avoid the Easy-Start and tool-less chain tensioner versions.

Top handle saws are special purpose arborist saws that come with an increased risk of kickback and less ability to control it

The 2.5 lb weight difference isn't close...
You're absolutely right....there in lies the regret.....
But, I'm not sure I'd ever pick up the 271 again. Run it for 40 or so hours, so it's still basically new. Could sell it I guess. Not necessarily what I'm looking for.

I've never run any of these top handle saws. 150 or 193. Are these worth a look or not. I'm NEVER in the tree. Never.

You're absolutely right....there in lies the regret.....
But, I'm not sure I'd ever pick up the 271 again. Run it for 40 or so hours, so it's still basically new. Could sell it I guess. Not necessarily what I'm looking for.

I've never run any of these top handle saws. 150 or 193. Are these worth a look or not. I'm NEVER in the tree. Never.
I've never ran a top handle, but most that do say they are not meant for regular two handed use on the ground.

I’ve used both a ms170 and a ms192t. I liked both for limbing and small yaupon stumps. Personally I enjoy the top handle saw for limbing. I can have one hand on a limb and the other cutting...yes farther away. Or there’s a handle for the second hand. It’s also easy to hold down as you walk. I won’t debate the use or argue if it’s the proper saw for it but that’s my opinion on those size saws. I traded my ms170 for some truck seat covers but it was a good saw for what it was as well

I’ve used both a ms170 and a ms192t. I liked both for limbing and small yaupon stumps. Personally I enjoy the top handle saw for limbing. I can have one hand on a limb and the other cutting...yes farther away. Or there’s a handle for the second hand. It’s also easy to hold down as you walk. I won’t debate the use or argue if it’s the proper saw for it but that’s my opinion on those size saws. I traded my ms170 for some truck seat covers but it was a good saw for what it was as well
I don’t have a top handle saw anymore but when I did my rule of thumb was use two hands on the saw unless absolutely necessary, never going to do any harm doing this.
To the OP, I am of the opinion (and a lot will agree with me) get saws in 15cc increments or there about, so if you have a 50cc saw already go for a 35cc as the next size down. What dealers do you have in your area and what’s your budget?

I don’t have a top handle saw anymore but when I did my rule of thumb was use two hands on the saw unless absolutely necessary, never going to do any harm doing this.
To the OP, I am of the opinion (and a lot will agree with me) get saws in 15cc increments or there about, so if you have a 50cc saw already go for a 35cc as the next size down. What dealers do you have in your area and what’s your budget?

Definitely best to use 2 hands whenever possible. If you use one hand you just have to make sure you pay attention and don’t get lazy because you’ll pay for it. I also make sure to wear my chaps. The top handle is usually further down my body...more at arms length and I don’t use the tip area.

I’ve got a Stihl dealer I patronize. Liked the MS170 price tag but was considering a 193 so that’s about $350.

Latest posts

Back