36" bar on a echo cs- 590? Anyone try? Looking to use one to make a few cuts in some large wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading this I'll add.
I build wooden wedges with Elem. Blocked up and cut into boards about 16/18 by 1.5 inches thick width as thick as the slab. Stack in with strips for air space inside the barn out of sunlight off the ground. Put a weight on top leave for a year.
It WILL cure CUPPED. Thats why I slab it thick. I trim the sides ends and plane the board OR run it sides ways through the table saw to flatten. One slab makes 4 wedges. My jig is 3.25 inches with a wood top to protect my hand. Cut 4 wedges still holding to the slab. Last cut is layind flat. Trim width down to 3 inches and wedges fall into singles. Plane tops to shape a driving head. Coat with exterior Carpenter Glue flip coat other side. Next day spray paint. Makes about 16 wedges per hour. Saves me atleast 65 bucks. Do it on a rainy day. Photo is old wedge still in use. If I don't want to paint them I'll wipe Transmission fluid on them wrap in news paper store onside a dry ice chest. A week later oilem and use em. IMG_20180206_151506_870.jpg

Sweet wedges! I haven't done anything yet the guy selling bars is out of stock right now. I was going to buy an archer brand bar he had them for around 70$ with a skip tooth chain included. I didn't want to get to much $ tied up in it if it wouldn't pull the bar. I seen most bigger saws use a d009 bar mount when I do get the bar I will let every one know how it went. For 70$ it would be an interesting test to say the least. I was gonna be using the bar mainly for felling. For me it's easier cutting from both sides once the woods on the ground. I'm not the greatest at the Swedish stump dance as the one gentleman put it. I would like to just make the notch then the back cut then some wedge assistance.

Wow lol no pun intended 😂
It depends upon the man who runs the saw. When I drop a huge tree with my 590 and big bar. I DO NOT hog the saw. I Do not lay on the saw or push down. I Do not dig the spikes into the wood because I am NOT in a hurry. IF someone is running on the Clock they would NOT want to take their time.. The right answer is never the ONE right answer in life. It all depends. For example DO you want to RUN a big bar daily or just once in a while like ONE tree a week? How often do you cut a t ree like this? Here on the farm, seldom. I can make do with what I have because I am not running all day cutting huge trees. SO, only you know what works best for you.received_2176233962631097.jpega

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_194117_292.jpg
    IMG_20181223_194117_292.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 1
Back