Ms380 she needs a little tlc and to beat the crap out of my brothers johnsered turbo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I cleaned her up a little and got her back together she started. I need to retune the carb tomorrow. I put a small 3/16 hole in the muffler when I took out the spark arestor didn’t want to do much after the look I got at her. Now to find my small screw drivers.

Sorry the lighting is horrible there looks to be some minor scouring mostly on the piston and a lot of carbon biuld up I could reach the exhaust but I could see some when I changed the plug

Attachments

• 59314509471__3FF7F08E-98C7-49D0-BCAA-B85F0F7104D0.MOV
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
Well the 20 inch cherry had her running hot and bogged low.

She wasn’t I didn’t want to show the plug I switched she seems a little snappier.

But I need to find something cut to tune her tomorrow

So I guess the better question since I have to order parts. Which means she cannot fully come apart what can I do to help her with the carbon biuld up?

2171 turbo

Attachments

• AC617FC4-D973-4D1A-AA01-C057FB9CC956.jpeg
    AC617FC4-D973-4D1A-AA01-C057FB9CC956.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
2171 is a 372. Not a small hurdle there.
If you are taking your saw apart I would be adding a new piston to your parts list, that going to be in there anyway and the skirt ain't pretty. intake side is probably worn as well.

So I guess the better question since I have to order parts. Which means she cannot fully come apart what can I do to help her with the carbon biuld up?

She's obviously got high hours. It's gonna cost some money. I'd definitely consider a carb rebuild, new lines (fuel & impulse), filters (fuel & air), tank breather, and clutch bearing. Plus the obvious Piston and rings. Putting some emery cloth in that cylinder would be a good idea. Depending on wear/scoring/carbon, you might want to replace that too.
Either way, clean up the carbon/casting on your ports with some grinding. Good rule is; rough intake, smooth exhaust.
Altering the port timing is up to you. There's plenty of threads on that.
Another thing to consider is that new rings need about 8 tanks to really seat and break in. So you won't be making peak power for a while.
The fuel mix you are using is fine, but I'd consider ethanol free if at all possible. The carbon build up is most likely from a previous owner.

I didn’t think of ethanol free because of its age, that’s why I put the iso heat plus I had a suspicion of the carbon the plug was bad too

Well she was old when I got her I tuned the carb the throttle don’t ketch until half throttle I been running her 7 yrs and she is bogging down in 20 inch cherry. I don’t think she is breathing good. I am having trouble finding info on her to help her out. I am 6 cord in this year with at least 15 more to go. And my little brother needs to go down.

That saw should rip in cherry, with a 25" bar buried, unless the chain is duller than a spoon.

I'm assuming you're up against a Jonsered 2071 turbo (not 2170).
If so, it's gonna be a struggle. The 371xp platform is absolutely beastly. Even if you had the 70cc Magnum variant (which I believe disappeared pre MS380 rebadging), the Jred has you beat with chain speed.
I don't know if there's a big bore P&C available, but at the very least, you'll have to do some port work, and run race fuel.
The MS380 and the 2071 were designed and built for completely different end uses. The MS380 is a large cc farm/ranch saw. While powerful and reliable, it's a cheaper alternative to the MS440. The 2071 is a production logging design, with power and weight being paramount.
It is possible, however, you've got some work to do. Focus on details, and don't forget to run a sharp chain. Not "new" sharp, but really sharp.

MS380 is an "update" of the 038M. Never was a "farm/ranch saw". It was the go to stihl saw for loggers before the 044, they even offered a triple port muffler for the 038M. IMHO it's built stronger than a 044. Race fuel not needed, but premium non-corn fuel recommended.

I didn’t think of ethanol free because of its age, that’s why I put the iso heat plus I had a suspicion of the carbon the plug was bad too

Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, put iso heat/alcohols in a two stroke. Unless you have a alky running race saw.

That poor saw has been run WAY too rich. Piston is scored, could be from carbon, or other issues. And it needs some TLC.

Running it with that piston will speed the demise of your cylinder.

Are you sure it's not a ms390? Carb and muffler pictures sure look like it to me. If so you're gonna have a hard time beating up on the jonsered no matter what you do to it.

Are you sure it's not a ms390? Carb and muffler pictures sure look like it to me. If so you're gonna have a hard time beating up on the jonsered no matter what you do to it.

I have 038-038S-038M saws. Never a MS380/381. NA USA. Only Nashua I know of is in NH USA.

Have not seen details into "im provements" other than flippy caps :laughing: :eek: :baba:. Plastics look different, and a compensator carb.

Pictures are too close to see much of rest of saw.

My 038s are not afraid of 70cc Johnny Reds or Huskyvarmints. :D

Back