MS261 or MS261C-M ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the same situation. I went with the c-m. Now I'm hooked. The piece of mind, ease of maintenance, strength, and durability is top notch. I've recently talked to a timber faller friend whom uses the MS462c-m and 572xp. He hasn't had any, nor heard of any problems with the system. Granted, he's not the most productive faller, but he works his saws hard almost every day.
If you ever decide to get it ported, the M-Tronic will handle it without issue. Excellent system.
Great (not-so) little saw!

I have a 545 autotune, it is a great little saw, no problems at all if you follow all the rules in the manual. However if I would have had a choice of a manual tune carb, that's what I would have gotten. I haven't had any problems with the auto tune but if I do I just don't like the idea of being forced to take it to a dealer. For that reason I would buy the 261 over the cm. But that's just me.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I just got the 261cm a week ago and I absolutely love this saw! I did the muff mod on it the very first day. The auto tune carb is saweet!!! It starts on the first pull and runs perfectly. It cuts everything I've thrown at it effortlessly. I had many tell me the 50cc wouldn't be enough but I've since realized, it's all the saw I need.

I had to go look it up, I was unaware that you could still get the carbed version on your side of the border. It's been dead up here in Canuckistan for a good while now. I do like being able to tune the carb, but the Mtronic seems to be pretty good at this point.

Either. I don't have any C-M saws and don't have any problems, and never need to adjust the carbs. I have fiddled with the carbs to explore problems, but in the end after I find the solution the carb was set back to factory.

The manual carb can be set just the way you like it.

Throttle response too..

Crispy for limbing/light bucking

A little richer for continuous long cuts.

I like that option.

Unless something has changed lately the moronics are tuned on the edge of lean.

Some of us prefer our two strokes on the edge of rich. We think they are more durable that way and the power is torquier and smoother.

And then the weather changes mid-cut..

Oh well, thats what autotune is for. Ha!

Once you know YOUR saw the adjustments take minimal time, like seconds.

The manual carb can be set just the way you like it.

Throttle response too..

Crispy for limbing/light bucking

A little richer for continuous long cuts.

I like that option.

Unless something has changed lately the moronics are tuned on the edge of lean.

Some of us prefer our two strokes on the edge of rich. We think they are more durable that way and the power is torquier and smoother.

And then the weather changes mid-cut..

Oh well, thats what autotune is for. Ha!

Once you know YOUR saw the adjustments take minimal time, like seconds.
That's how I feel about it. If they offer both, I'm going with the standard carb everytime. Some people think these self tune saws are some kind of turbo charger or something, but all it does is change the carb settings via solenoids. I prefer to set it how it works best for me, not the EPA.

Some people think these self tune saws are some kind of turbo charger or something, but all it does is change the carb settings via solenoids.

You're correct, it's not a turbo. But, it tunes the saw CORRECTLY for the load and the atmospheric conditions. They (like everything) are subject to problems, no denying it. But, they also do two pretty cool things, one, they keep the saws tuned right for making the most power. Yes, a knowledge operator can do that also, but that's probably less than 5% of users. And two, they'll compensate for a pretty sizeable air leak, saving a saw from damage. Again, a knowledgeable operator can hear a lean scream, but as before, that's not most users.

So, for most users, auto tune & m-tronic carbs deliver a properly tuned saw partially safeguarded from meltdown. If a fella is competent with a carb screwdriver, he might opt for something else, but most everyone else will enjoy an m-tronic saw.

You're correct, it's not a turbo. But, it tunes the saw CORRECTLY for the load and the atmospheric conditions. They (like everything) are subject to problems, no denying it. But, they also do two pretty cool things, one, they keep the saws tuned right for making the most power. Yes, a knowledge operator can do that also, but that's probably less than 5% of users. And two, they'll compensate for a pretty sizeable air leak, saving a saw from damage. Again, a knowledgeable operator can hear a lean scream, but as before, that's not most users.

So, for most users, auto tune & m-tronic carbs deliver a properly tuned saw partially safeguarded from meltdown. If a fella is competent with a carb screwdriver, he might opt for something else, but most everyone else will enjoy an m-tronic saw.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are not good saws and not a good system. My only complaint with them is they are dealer dependant. If the software and the cable came with the saw, I would be all for them.

Latest posts

Back