Stihl Flippy Cap solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about we embed a non-removable Lithium cell into the caps?
Think like if Apple built them!

Behold...The i-Flippy !!

Okie-dokie. After an appropriate customary wait in a line outside an authorized Stihl Dealers shop, of 4 day & nights minimum.
(It's in your user agreement)
You may now purchase your i-Flippys (limit of two per customer)

Now we can download the cloud based app to all of your Apple phones.
This will allow the IoT (internet of things) cloud based iPhone app
(only $2.99 per month, through Apple Pay of course)
to alert you when the i-flippy is loose or needs recharging.
Heated handle option package required for charging feature to be active.

Caution failure to maintain an active service agreement may mean loss of the li-po cell condition status updates.

Warning: Failure to maintain an active i-Flippy account may present a risk of thermal failure and possible damage to saw unit due to fuel tank contents entering into an accelerated oxidation status.

Caution the i-Flippy is not to used as a hearing protector, or for keeping sawdust out of your sphincter
Nor is i-Flippy recommended or materially compatible for blocking diarrhea after consuming too many non-skim lattes during your, required, four day wait outside of the Stihl dealership.

I know this is pun intended with a lot of sarcasm, but I am getting more and more frustrated with this whole "i" thing that is consuming soon the remaining portion of our privacy and tell us how it should be done right.

The age that so called 4.0 apps decide how and which process is going to work and is commonly accepted as "the real truth" has started and is replacing more and more good solid professional knowlegde and common sense. Or is the lack of sound technial knowledge, hard work and experience, that seems no longer to be around, that the new generation is needing 'app wisdom' to fill up a gas tank or cut a tree ? I am afraid so.

Maybe it's time to tell your kids to stick to the old school learning and training, because I am pretty sure this 4.0 thing will not be the solution for many things. Or I am getting too old for this sh*t ?

I've not had issues with the fuel flippy caps, but have had numerous instances of the oil flippy cap on my 261 failing to seat. I've learned to twist the cap into place and then pull up on it to verify it locked into place. About half the time it does not, but at least now I avoid pouring bar oil all over the place. I personally think it helps to fill the tank a little short, but that is just anecdotal.

I've had one oil flippy cap break apart when twisted back into place. Now I carry a spare with me.

It just doesn't need to be this complicated. The screw on caps were fine. At least if they drip a little, you have some warning.

I always thought when it was time to pare down on my saws, I'd sell everything but the 261. But it can be aggravating to be in the woods trying to get the oil cap in place. My 039 will do all I need to do for a long time to come.

Another annoying feature of the flippy is that hardly any interchange. With a number of Stihl products it would be nice should one fail on a top handle you could borrow one off the pole saw to finish a job. But there are many flippy caps unique to certain models making this idea hard. Interesting Stihl is moving away from the flipy design, I don't mind them when they work as they should, but a finnicky one will drive you nuts.

Another annoying feature of the flippy is that hardly any interchange. With a number of Stihl products it would be nice should one fail on a top handle you could borrow one off the pole saw to finish a job. But there are many flippy caps unique to certain models making this idea hard. Interesting Stihl is moving away from the flipy design, I don't mind them when they work as they should, but a finnicky one will drive you nuts.

It was a needless invention, that just caused more problems than it solved.[emoji111]

Unpossible flippy caps are worse than Hitler.

I've seen the light.

Worst then a alien invasion commanded by Thanos!

Ck6Dqmc.jpg

Everybody complained about eventually breaking Stihl screw-on caps with their screwdriver. So, I made this tool in my shop to handle that problem:
Cap Twister.jpg
This ended any problem that I ever had with a screw-on Stihl cap. But, it does nothing to solve all the problems that Stihl created with flippy caps.

Everybody complained about eventually breaking Stihl screw-on caps with their screwdriver. So, I made this tool in my shop to handle that problem:
View attachment 767752
This ended any problem that I ever had with a screw-on Stihl cap. But, it does nothing to solve all the problems that Stihl created with flippy caps.

Fingers or my scrench always worked for me, with screw caps.

There have been times I forgot to tighten the caps...............:buttkick:

If you need a scrench to tighten screw caps, time for a gasket/o-ring.

BTW, tie an old toothbrush onto your mix can and oil can ( drill a hole and use a string). Then just brush around THE SCREW CAP, and no crap gets inside.

Fingers or my scrench always worked for me, with screw caps. There have been times I forgot to tighten the caps...............:buttkick:

If you need a scrench to tighten screw caps, time for a gasket/o-ring.

BTW, tie an old toothbrush onto your mix can and oil can ( drill a hole and use a string). Then just brush around THE SCREW CAP, and no crap gets inside.
But, Stihl owners kept using small flat-blade screwdrivers to tighten the caps and that stripped out the heads, often causing leaks. And the scrench easily exerted far too much torque that the plastic cap could not withstand.

So, the flippy cap showed up, perhaps in desperation to save the day. I have talked to several sawyers who have bought MS661C saws to replace their older MS660, and about the only complaint they have is the flippy cap that Stihl calls a filler cap to disguise it. Even the retainer to hold it into the tank is weak and breaks loose too easily. I don't think that was mentioned here either, so I thought I would mention it.

Somehow my Echo 590 twisty caps fit perfectly. They are more positive than any other caps I have. Nice.

They don't stick. Just turn until they stop. Open without much effort. Perfectly threaded. Perfectly sealed.

Stihl can do lots of stuff. But they seem to have trouble with caps apparently.

Amazing how cap performance can sometimes determine which chain saw somebody decides to buy. If the caps fail, it makes little sense how much people rave about engine performance. Who wants to spill fuel or oil all over the place, or who wants a saw with stuck caps that cannot be filled with the liquids that it needs to run?

Amazing how cap performance can sometimes determine which chain saw somebody decides to buy. If the caps fail, it makes little sense how much people rave about engine performance. Who wants to spill fuel or oil all over the place, or who wants a saw with stuck caps that cannot be filled with the liquids that it needs to run?
It has no effect on my buying decisions. Just something that never needed to be.

If youve ever had a leaky flippy cap spill mix onto your privates, you would not be so eager to defend them. Sure, screw caps can leak a little, but this was an appreciable amount. Enough to make one do an impromptu wardrope change in a less than ideal location.
No warning given.
Funny, my Macs all have the fuel caps on top. Homelites all on top.
Some Poulans on top. Others never had a problem with sealing. Best design ever on 3000-4000 series. Not a slot you can stick a tool in and break. Rather a design that you can slip the scrench or even a flipping stick through and twist the cap off.
Stihl, pay attention. Poulan had this crap figured out 40 years ago.
1022192026_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back