The march to 150

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The splits in the middle dry well. The ones on the bottom do ok as long as I have a little bit of bark and splitter scrap built up on the ground. If they are in direct contact with the soil, we all know they won't dry much if any. I've been doing it this way over 20 years and it has worked well for me.

As far as loading, its all done by hand. I have a dump truck that holds 2 cords thrown in loose with the very back of the truck being stacked to keep it all in. It doesn't take as long as one might think. On my big delivery days, I try to have a helper.

Loading a dump truck with 150 cords, by hand? My back got sore just reading that, even if it's spread over a few months. I think I would be tempted to invest in a FEL & tailgate. Or my back would be telling me that, at least.

Loading a dump truck with 150 cords, by hand? My back got sore just reading that, even if it's spread over a few months. I think I would be tempted to invest in a FEL & tailgate. Or my back would be telling me that, at least.
It’s not all bending over. My windrow piles are in the neighborhood of 8 feet tall. I have a bucket for the tractor but it’s too slow and would pickup dirt and debris from the ground. I like to keep it nice and clean.
I feel it more in my hamstrings than my back because even when bent over, I’m not lifting anything heavier than a split piece of wood.

Ya kodo’s to you guy, that’s a lot if wood !! I’d like to get my volume up also but I don’t get raw log delivered, some day I’ll learn ...

Have you ever thought about putting down pallets so you can get some air flow under the pile and the wood never touches the ground?

Keep on ..... Runnin’ Loads !!

Ya kodo’s to you guy, that’s a lot if wood !! I’d like to get my volume up also but I don’t get raw log delivered, some day I’ll learn ...

Have you ever thought about putting down pallets so you can get some air flow under the pile and the wood never touches the ground?

Keep on ..... Runnin’ Loads !!
I have thought about it but it would take hundreds of them and my customers are happy now.

I think I've said it before, you need a conveyor. Also a back tailgate and no stacking at all. I have several conveyors and hand load everything onto it which shoots it up into the truck or dump trailers. View attachment 766552 View attachment 766553 View attachment 766554 View attachment 766555 View attachment 766556

Of the styles shown, which do you believe works best? Single chain, double chain, belt...? I have it in mine to build a single chain this winter if they work worth a hoot.

Only got 9 cords out this weekend. My kids games and an early date night (4pm start) on Saturday left me without a lot of time and rain by 11:30 this morning did me in

Of the styles shown, which do you believe works best? Single chain, double chain, belt...? I have it in mine to build a single chain this winter if they work worth a hoot.

MnGuns, The red one and the blue one are single chains and I really like them. Well I did like them but now I'm not likely them quite as much. I cut mainly Ash and they were fine until just a few months ago when the bark started falling off our ash due to ash borer damage. Now the loose bark gets under the chain and it binds as it goes over the top sprocket once in awhile. Some days are worse than others so I've had to run the chain tighten than I like to reduce it. I've had that elevator in the pictures for about 6 years and it works really well. I just put a gas engine on it because it was electric before and was always a pain to get the generator every time I wanted to split wood. I made it direct drive and just run the belt loose enough so that if a split jams it just slips the belt instead of breaking stuff. This one is actually a grain conveyor but also works for hay bales. I have 2 other hay elevators sitting here as backups if these ever wreck. I like to plan ahead abit.

Got 11.5 cords out today and 112 in the last 7 weeks. Rain tomorrow probably going to shut me down before I get started. Still have close to 35 cords on order.

I have a old belt style gravel conveyor that I like a lot. After two shoulder surgery's in the last two years no more throwing wood. I used a old grain elevator for years and it liked to jam a lot. Loose bark was always a problem with it. Nothing to stop the belt.

Throwing splits is no worry for me at this point in my life. Don’t plan on selling wood forever but 10 years ago I did say I would be done selling wood at age 40...I’m now 43.

If you're banking your Summer job and living on your Winter job that'll be a nice adjunct to a pension.

Back