Dirty Hand Tools 28 ton leaking cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredBear

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have the DHT 28 ton splitter and the hydraulic cylinder has begun to leak. Any one know how to get the cap off? I'm sure I can fix it if I could just figure how to get the cap off. It's 4 years old so I doubt they would warranty it.

A picture of the cap end would help. I haven't seen a dht splitter so I am just going to speculate. The cap might just screw on or in, or could be held by a c-clip or by the use of a spiral lock wire. Look at the cap, does it have two holes drilled into it for the use of a spanner wrench. These little holes could be either in the end of the cap or in the sides. If not, then most likely the cap is held in with a c-clip. If this is the case, you will have to apply some pressure to push the cap farther into the cylinder and remove the c-clip. The cap should then bump out, but might need a little help by blowing air pressure into the hose port. Sometimes the use of the spiral wire is used. If so, you will need a small drift punch. The spiral lock wire should have a small tab just protruding out the side of the cap. Use the drift punch to start tapping the spiral wire out. You will have to keep tapping the wire tab until the wire completely comes out of the cyl . It spins out so don't try to just beat it, with care it can be reused. After the wire is removed, apply some air pressure in the cap end hose port and the cap should blow out. You can also apply air pressure to the base end port, but be prepared for the cyl rod to come out with the cap.

Now my bet is the cap screws into the cyl barrel, as that is the way most of the china rebranded cyl seem to be. There should be the two small holes drilled into the cap end for the use of a spanner wrench. You may have to borrow a spanner wrench or make one from some flat plate and bolts just big enough to fit the holes. You will find that using just a little heat with a small propane torch, heat gun, or I like to use my wife's hair dryer, helps. Just warm the barrel around the rod cap while applying pressure to your spanner wrench.

thanks for your reply. There is just one hole in the cap and there is a small screw in it with this beveled washer on it. No hole in the cylinder for a lock wire. and I think I can see threads on the cap. The cap is internal and no shoulder on the outside for a pipe wrench or anything like that. The washer on that single screw rests against the edge of the cylinder holding the cap "out" tight.

I'll try and get a pic posted

if you remove the screw and washer, the cap will either screw out or can be depressed far enough to expose a snap ring
This...it will push in, exposing the clip, then the cap can be blown out with air...be prepared and have it wrapped with lots of towels because it will probably come out suddenly, with some force, and blow oil EVERWHERE if not covered...

You'll probably need to get a block of wood to drive it in...use the block as a punch, tap on it with a hammer...

take that screw out , tap the cap in to expose the snap ring ,dig the ring out with a pick or small screw driver . then the piston rod will pull out. drain the oil out the hose fitting first best you can.

I have seen more people complain about DHT splitters issues of all kinds more then any other brand out there. Seems to be a lot of complaints with that brand. However customer service seems to be good but you should never need to have to do that in the first place.

This is what I did to my DHT cylinder, it is a combination seal and wiper seal, so far so good, I couldn't figure out how to get the end cap off, I beat it with a good size brass drift punch and 4 lb baby sledge and couldn't make it work. Thank god I own a nice lathe.

Attachments

• 20191025_131414.jpg
    20191025_131414.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
take that screw out , tap the cap in to expose the snap ring ,dig the ring out with a pick or small screw driver . then the piston rod will pull out. drain the oil out the hose fitting first best you can.

More people mentioning problems with Chevrolet than with Tesla's as well. There are a crap ton of DHT's out there.

This is what I did. Ended up being pretty easy. Thanks for the intel

Latest posts

Back