The Longest Mile - the Steps Between the Woodshed and the Woodbox

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfrazier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, You! How do you get your firewood from the wood shed to the wood box?

My wood shed is about 30 strides from the house and includes three steps up onto the porch. I'm WAY less than satisfied with how I get the wood from the shed to the wood box.

We all know some smart-ass is going to say "I bring it inside with my tractor!" so hey, good for you. Now, as for the rest of us - how do you get it done? Wheelbarrow it right in? Carry an arm load at a time? Or what??????

Here's what I used last season, and it worked "OK". It's a woven plastic laundry bag that I added extra long loops to, but it was too light weight and finally ripped. (The longer loops were great - as I didn't have to lift it up as far.)

exhibit-c.jpg

Below is what I have now - and it's even worse - the canvas brings in lots of bark and moss with it and it's not a solution. Both hold about 8 to 10 pieces of wood, so I make a couple of trips every day. You?

exhibit-A.jpg

Let us all in on a better way? And if you have a "pass through" I already envy you.

woodpile is out back near the detached garage, about 100 feet from the house. I have wood storage on our deck for about 1 weeks worth of wood when the stove is cranking 24/7, so I wheelbarrow the wood from the pile to the deck storage once a week. Takes about 15 minutes.

woodpile is out back near the detached garage, about 100 feet from the house. I have wood storage on our deck for about 1 weeks worth of wood when the stove is cranking 24/7, so I wheelbarrow the wood from the pile to the deck storage once a week. Takes about 15 minutes.

And then from the deck is it to a wood box or straight into the fire - what do you do to get it there your Eminency, carry it by the armload?

Personally I have a chute built into the foundation of my house. I can back a tractor, trailer, ranger, wheelbarrow, truck, etc right up to it and toss wood into by basement. I usually then stack it for a final dry before burning.

But, for situations like yours, Eric from Life in Farmland (YouTube channel) reviewed the Logox firewood sling last year. Looks pretty slick if carrying in a few arm loads a day if your M.O.

No steps to negotiate for me but an uphill climb from the pile to the basement then a trip to the basement stove. A large wheeled “curb-side” plastic garbage can works well for me. Helps lessen the trash and the bugs. Occasionally dump the can outside or burn the bark etc. in the stove.

Ron

My situation is kinda unique, but about as easy as it gets. I travel about 100' from the wood shed to the pass thru in the garage. It is concrete all the way and slightly downhill or it wouldn't work. I built a 3' sq box that I move with a pallet jack. Holds about one weeks worth of wood. Fill it up at the shed then use the pallet jack to get it in the garage. Park it next to the pass thru. Get it out in the den, next to the stove. Been burning wood for about 38 years, always trying to find a way to make it easier. Takes a while to get there.

Attachments

• Wood Shed (2).JPG
    Wood Shed (2).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 117
  • Wood Shed (1).JPG
    Wood Shed (1).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 119
  • Wood Shed.JPG
    Wood Shed.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
  • Pallet Jack (3).JPG
    Pallet Jack (3).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 120
  • Pallet Jack (2).JPG
    Pallet Jack (2).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 121
  • Wood Stove 005.jpg
    Wood Stove 005.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 122
My situation is kinda unique, but about as easy as it gets. I travel about 100' from the wood shed to the pass thru in the garage. It is concrete all the way and slightly downhill or it wouldn't work. I built a 3' sq box that I move with a pallet jack. Holds about one weeks worth of wood. Fill it up at the shed then use the pallet jack to get it in the garage. Park it next to the pass thru. Get it out in the den, next to the stove. Been burning wood for about 38 years, always trying to find a way to make it easier. Takes a while to get there.

Oh dang. That's nice!

Personally I have a chute built into the foundation of my house. I can back a tractor, trailer, ranger, wheelbarrow, truck, etc right up to it and toss wood into by basement. I usually then stack it for a final dry before burning.

But, for situations like yours, Eric from Life in Farmland (YouTube channel) reviewed the Logox firewood sling last year. Looks pretty slick if carrying in a few arm loads a day if your M.O.

Ok, found that video. Here it is. Thanks. Not thinking it's for me though.

Good grief!!!! Now I might as well and go sell my house... you ruint me! That is AWESOME.

I use a round plastic tub to carry into the house. A little bigger than a bushel basket. Works and carrys well and also keeps most of the mess inside.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I finish the journey with the same type tub.

Starts across the street at the woodshed. Wheelbarrow to a couple storage boxes on the side porch (up a couple steps, done by hand). Then the tub into the small woodbox next to the stove. The deck boxes hold about a weeks worth once we get serious, the inside woodbox will need filled once or twice through the day.

I use a wheel barrow to get wood from my wood shed to my wood boxes in the garage. I use a canvas tote to get wood from the garage boxes to the wood box by the stove. Yeah, I know, a lot of handling

Latest posts

Back