Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've had these logs a little over 3 years. The mantels I milled out of 2 logs from the same tree still have the bark on them, and it's tight. These have been laying in the grass next to the woods. All of the bark and sap wood have started to rot. First cut knocking the cap off was just about 2 minutes. The second cut, much wider, was only about 3 minutes. Saw is a 660 with 36 inch bar. Chain is Stihl Yellow Box 33RS. No skip, no ripping grind. Pretty smooth cut.20190519_132953.jpg 20190519_133943.jpg 20190519_140140.jpg 20190519_140338.jpg 20190519_145720.jpg

Nice man. Sure does look like a nice smooth cut. Smoother than I usually get with my full comp rip grind.

I just acquired 2 fresh red oak logs from a recent tree removal at my work. One is 30"x 10 feet and the other is 20"x 15 feet. My 25" inch capacity homebrew mill should work for it.

I also use an MS660 but with a 32" .063 bar.

Back in the saddle. Haven't milled since Irma.

This one was right at 24”, I have 3 more to mill. I might make two of them fire wood. One of my big Red Oaks didn’t leaf out this year. I’d like to get it milled and stickered while the bark is still tight.

I ran across this log several years back. 44" dia x 14" red oak. I flat sawed it in 2-1/4 slabs , then clamped the slabs together and resawed them into five and six piece
grain matched 2x6. You can sure see how our ancestors might have worshipped these trees.IM000326.JPG
saw.jpg saw2.jpg

As the other have said, nice grain. Just had a couple red oaks dropped in the back yard and asked the sawman to leave two 20 foot logs (the rest I'll turn into firewood). After reading this site and watching many youtubes, I went ahead and purchased the MS660 Farmertec kit along with a chainsaw mill and a 28" bar/blade. The box is currently in Hong Kong waiting on a flight to Birmingham via NY. Can't wait.

I've had these logs a little over 3 years. The mantels I milled out of 2 logs from the same tree still have the bark on them, and it's tight. These have been laying in the grass next to the woods. All of the bark and sap wood have started to rot. First cut knocking the cap off was just about 2 minutes. The second cut, much wider, was only about 3 minutes. Saw is a 660 with 36 inch bar. Chain is Stihl Yellow Box 33RS. No skip, no ripping grind. Pretty smooth cut.View attachment 736999 View attachment 737000 View attachment 737001 View attachment 737002 View attachment 737003
Well looking at yours means I'll have to get at mine.
I have two long Red Oak logs and a few shorter ones to mill with my CSM.
I'll take pics along the way.
What did you guys do for all the wedges needed to keep the gap during milling?

My logs are all cut at 7.5' to fit on my 8' trailer. I usually don't bother with wedges and on the logs here, I didn't us them. I feel it does more damage to the cut to stop to push a wedge in than if I just keep milling. I did try a pack of cheap door shims from the hardware store once, and thought they worked well. Plus being wood, no harm in setting them close behind the chain. If I had a helper, I would use the door shims.

I've had these logs a little over 3 years. The mantels I milled out of 2 logs from the same tree still have the bark on them, and it's tight. These have been laying in the grass next to the woods. All of the bark and sap wood have started to rot. First cut knocking the cap off was just about 2 minutes. The second cut, much wider, was only about 3 minutes. Saw is a 660 with 36 inch bar. Chain is Stihl Yellow Box 33RS. No skip, no ripping grind. Pretty smooth cut.View attachment 736999 View attachment 737000 View attachment 737001 View attachment 737002 View attachment 737003
Looks good.
I have 4 Red Oak logs to mill myself.
Although I may have rotated that log 90* so you don't have that crack going through all the slabs, at least not right away.
I just have to find a good spot to store my slabs and overhead cover that can handle our snow load here.

I often build mortise and tenon benches and use that natural crack to put my tightening wedge. I think I lost all of my close up pics of the joinery on my first bench, it was Tulip Poplar. But I think I have one when it was getting old, just before it met the fire pit.
jO9637p.jpg

Back