What's your preferred chain type for bars over 60"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnut33

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been running an MS 880 with a 59" bar on my alaskan for about 8 years now and will be moving to some bigger bars and another power head (880) now. Most likely an 87" double ender.

Here is my question.

Those of you guys here who have these mills, what chains do you like for hardwoods? Softwoods?

I have seen full skips and some "mega" skips (8-12 drive links between teeth) on these larger rigs and just want to see what guys are really using and why.

Thanks!

I'm no expert but I run 27rx hyper skip chain on my 72" bar. I have not run anything else on that size bar to compare it to but no problems so far. After a few more hours on the mill I'll report back.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I've been running full comp full chisel on a 62" bar in relatively soft woods (Western Cedar and Western big leaf maple).
It's been fine so far. The maple definitely gives more resistance but still cuts easily and leaves a nice enough finish.
Western big leaf Maple is not "Eastern Rock maple" by any means. It's not much harder than Alder.

.404 skip tooth on my 84" bar with 3120 powerhead, filed to 10degree/10degree. I have only slabbed 5 slabs ( 30-46" over 10' fir) but it works good, I will be picking up another chain this week and I will probable remove a few more teeth.
On my old set up (twin 2100 on 84" bar) I was running the same and was pretty happy with it. Most wood is the same PNW as 'andy at clover'

I've only got a 60" and cut the same type of wood as above in the PNW and I run .404 full skip. It does ok, but i'll probably get a full comp chain for the 60" soon to try. I'd recommend a full skip just for the chip clearance on wide cuts.

Latest posts

Back