Vermeer BC1000XL chipper reverse feed problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipper2020

Reaction score
The chipper runs great and the auto start stop works great. If there is no brush or log inside the chipper wheel will go forward and backwards fine. But if there is a log that gets hung up it doesn't want to push the log back out. Seems like the reverse is sticking and will not reverse. Have to fight with it for a few minutes and eventually it will take the log

I have experienced this, especially with a Y branch stuck in the chute.

Seems that there is not enough hydraulic pressure to reverse the feed wheel.

Best to limit the log size to 6"-7". Have the jack handy to lift the feed wheel if something gets stuck.

I have a 2010 bc1000xl and im having some issues with the smart feed, whenever I put 3inch diameter or bigger branches the feed roller stops for about 15 seconds and then starts going again, i took the machine to vermeer, they checked everything and everything is working as it should, took the machine to Cummins to adjust the machine injection pump and everything is good(according to vermeer the issue could have been the injection pump) i dont know what else to do.
Any ideas?
Thank you

Questions...
Are there any unusual sounds when this happens?
Does the engine slow down when the roller stops?
Does the indicator light above the feed table blink when the roller stops?

If the feed roller hydraulic motor does not have sufficient pressure it will stall until the pressure returns.
Your machine should chip a 7" log without effort.

Questions...
Are there any unusual sounds when this happens?
Does the engine slow down when the roller stops?
Does the indicator light above the feed table blink when the roller stops?

If the feed roller hydraulic motor does not have sufficient pressure it will stall until the pressure returns.
Your machine should chip a 7" log without effort.

No unusual sounds, the engine rpm does drop slightly.
The indicator light in the back does not blink when feed roller is stoped.
The hydro motor seems strong.

Smartfeed works by stopping the feed rollers and reversing momentarily, when the engine rpms drop below a factory set level. Rollers will restart when the engine rpms recover. This should not happen with 3"branches.

The machine computer detects engine and electrical faults, BUT not those associated with the hydraulic circuit. There is no hydraulic pressure sensor on this model/year. Since your machine rollers stop with a light load I suspect a stuck valve, clogged hydraulic line, faulty feed roller speed controller or defective pump. Did the engine shop or the Vermeer dealer test the hydraulic pressure? What parts were replaced, if any?

The speed controller on the fender works by bleeding hydraulic pressure. Is it working as it should?

The easiest and lowest cost parts to replace are the forward feed valve, the roller speed controller and hydraulic lines. Do not buy these parts from Vermeer, all are overpriced. Amazon sells the controller for 1/3 of Vermeer's price and https://www.colliflower.com will make new lines while you wait.

Back