Any body build a carry all box for pallet forks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Help.

I just bought a Case DX33 with L130 loader for use in my apple orchard. But since I have this, it might work pretty nice for firewood too. I just ordered a quick attach bracket for the loader so bob cat style implements can be easily used. Will get pallet forks first thing.DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG

What I am contemplating is a box that can be picked up with pallet forks. Wood would be split and thrown into the box and then taken to another spot and stacked. The bucket itself is not near big enough for this. The size would be so that it hold 2/3 of a face cord, aprox. 40 cubic feet. (DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG matched to carrying capacity of the loader)

Right now I have the rounds stacked, the wood is split and immediately restacked but his is really slow when using the capabilities of a 4 way wedge. Letting it fall to the ground is a hassle having to pick it back up.

My box is 60" wide x 42" deep x 30" high and with two rows of 20" wood it holds exactly 1/3rd of a cord, or 43 cubic feet. I am debating making another wider box. Either 6' or 6.5'. Tractor is approx... 6' wide. The box is also handy for transporting tools and as a work station when cutting branches, fixing siding, lifting items into the barn loft, etc.

I'd match the box to the size of your machine. My Kioti will lift 2800 lbs to full height and weighs around 6500 lbs with the loader and fluid filled tires. I think it could lift 1/2 cord, but wouldnt want to do it regularly. I think a wider and taller box would hold the same amount I currently have, but would be closer to the machine and less taxing. Not to mention it would be shorter in overall length, so easier to navigate the wood trails and less room in the barn.

Ron, when you're thinking about using your tractor this way, what do you imagine on the back of the tractor? I ask because if you're using the loader for a heavy lift like that, you'll want something HEAVY on the back. Like in the 1000+# range if it's close to the machine, less if it's a long implement. If you don't already have something in mind for the rear of the machine while you're moving firewood, I'd consider using pallet forks on the rear.

You could actually have a set on the front and a set on the back. I use my Kubota that way for moving wood sometimes. It's nice having the weight on the back to minimize stress on the front axle and to reduce turf damage. I happen to have set of 3-point pallet forks and also a 3-point carry-all that could have a wood box added easily. Both are for sale if you're interested. Not gonna break the bank either...

Ron, when you're thinking about using your tractor this way, what do you imagine on the back of the tractor? I ask because if you're using the loader for a heavy lift like that, you'll want something HEAVY on the back. Like in the 1000+# range if it's close to the machine, less if it's a long implement. If you don't already have something in mind for the rear of the machine while you're moving firewood, I'd consider using pallet forks on the rear.

You could actually have a set on the front and a set on the back. I use my Kubota that way for moving wood sometimes. It's nice having the weight on the back to minimize stress on the front axle and to reduce turf damage. I happen to have set of 3-point pallet forks and also a 3-point carry-all that could have a wood box added easily. Both are for sale if you're interested. Not gonna break the bank either...

I have a ballast box filled with crushed rock right now. Might swap that out due to the fines holding moisture for river rock which is real cheap around here.

My box is 60" wide x 42" deep x 30" high and with two rows of 20" wood it holds exactly 1/3rd of a cord, or 43 cubic feet. I am debating making another wider box. Either 6' or 6.5'. Tractor is approx... 6' wide. The box is also handy for transporting tools and as a work station when cutting branches, fixing siding, lifting items into the barn loft, etc.

I'd match the box to the size of your machine. My Kioti will lift 2800 lbs to full height and weighs around 6500 lbs with the loader and fluid filled tires. I think it could lift 1/2 cord, but wouldnt want to do it regularly. I think a wider and taller box would hold the same amount I currently have, but would be closer to the machine and less taxing. Not to mention it would be shorter in overall length, so easier to navigate the wood trails and less room in the barn.

Thanks for the pics.

We use plastic fold able bins like the one listed to move pumpkins and was thinking of a way to use them for firewood. Can usually find them on craigslist.

images

We use plastic fold able bins like the one listed to move pumpkins and was thinking of a way to use them for firewood. Can usually find them on craigslist.

images
Another good idea. I just looked and found some apple bins on CL.

Actually one of the other reasons for this tractor was to be able to handle a bin of apples which is 800#s.

20190419_101732.jpg These work good ,but there are a few drawbacks. 1.wood can fall out 2. if the peices are bigger than the access holes it it's hard to get out 3. all the weight is way out front. I generally just use these as a quick wat to put seasoned wood in my garage that is going to be burned right away (no stacking needed). also starting to use them as sort of a unit of measure, so i know how much wood ive used and will need next year.
As someone mentioned you could cut a side down for better access. they are pretty inexpensive to acquire
modifying a bucket with expanded metal or something to get more volume is always an option .

IMG_0675_2.jpg I have several that I built from scrap metal laying around. 4x4x5. My set up is, cut/ split / stack - leave it out in open to season. I then take the boxes and load them and put them under cover in my run in shed when its burn time. So if weather gets bad for several weeks I have 2-3 cords in those boxes under cover. I have an out door burner and just take a box at a time up to it. My tractor is a little bigger but you could get rear pallet forks and pick up one on front and one on the back. Works great for me

If you do a search on here I have quite a few pics of my wood bins. They work really well and when the wood is wet it is the maximum weight that my tractor will lift. I can also stack them 2 rows high. I set them on 2x6 runners to keep them from freezing to the ground and to make them last longer. They save me a lot of handling. I cut both 16" long ( to sell) and 32" long wood ( for my outdoor wood stove). https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/firewood-pallets-w-welded-wire-or-field-fence.263193/
20190131_173424.jpg

Just as a 2nd option...... the JD quick connect system of hook an pin is a lot simpler, I went with that Style on my AGCO ST22A. saves on the weight too. average about 150lbs for a skid steer connector, and template for it to hook into on the bucket or attachment side, and the JD quick connect is pretty well known you can buy mostly everything with that style on it. you would just have to get it made on your Case loader ends.

I've been looking at the BigTool Rack for my compact specifically with jobs around my house only thing holding me back is the price. might have to make one up this winter if time allows haha https://www.bigtoolrack.com/

Your tractor has a lift capacity of about 1250 pounds, not sure why you want to add bobcat attachments most are way to heavy for small tractors. You want to find the lightest forks you can, every extra pound of attachment cuts into your lift. Makes no sense to get bobcat forks that weigh 500 pounds that leaves you 750 pounds of lift.

Help.

I just bought a Case DX33 with L130 loader for use in my apple orchard. But since I have this, it might work pretty nice for firewood too. I just ordered a quick attach bracket for the loader so bob cat style implements can be easily used. Will get pallet forks first thing.View attachment 767033 View attachment 767034 View attachment 767035 View attachment 767036

What I am contemplating is a box that can be picked up with pallet forks. Wood would be split and thrown into the box and then taken to another spot and stacked. The bucket itself is not near big enough for this. The size would be so that it hold 2/3 of a face cord, aprox. 40 cubic feet. (View attachment 767033 View attachment 767034 View attachment 767035 View attachment 767036 matched to carrying capacity of the loader)

Right now I have the rounds stacked, the wood is split and immediately restacked but his is really slow when using the capabilities of a 4 way wedge. Letting it fall to the ground is a hassle having to pick it back up.
I bought a rock bucket to haul wood in. I pull up to the splitter and throw wood in as I split. All/most of the chips,drt,loose bark falls through. I use Apple type bins for storing my wood. Inside though. I stack it in the bins so I don't throw wood into them when I'm splitting. To much stopping to stack then split some more. The rock bucket works great when cutting in the snow as the snow falls through.
20180213_122630.jpg 20170213_121348_resized.jpg

Your tractor has a lift capacity of about 1250 pounds, not sure why you want to add bobcat attachments most are way to heavy for small tractors. You want to find the lightest forks you can, every extra pound of attachment cuts into your lift. Makes no sense to get bobcat forks that weigh 500 pounds that leaves you 750 pounds of lift.

With the quick attach brackets there are two styles, Bobcat or the Euro style. The former is way more common. You are correct in considering the weight of the pallet forks. I will buy a lighter duty set since the loader has a limited capacity the way it is. This tractor was bought for the purpose of running a sprayer in my orchard. Firewood duty is just a bonus and it will be used around the stacks in the yard and not in the woods.

if you use your 3p for your wood box you will have greater capacity and leave the bucket free for moving rounds or loading a splinting table. take a look at the weight limit on your 3 point compared to the loader bucket. If you want to do the pallets forks on the 3p will work really well for weight you cant stack but you wont do a lot of weight on the second tear with your weight limits. nice rig, you will noodle out a good multi service set up that fills your bill.

Back