Chainsaw bar heat damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks normal. I’ve had bars get hot spots after getting pinched in a tree. The cheap bars I used to have were horrible for this. The rails where the bar was pinched would close slightly and create friction with the chain. A burn spot would shortly show up. Had to bend the rails back out with a screwdriver.

That is a heat treatment along the rails. Scrape the paint of a new Rollomatic E bar and see for yourself. The ES bars have a superior steel with molybdenum and don't need a heat treatment so you won't find any blue line along their rails.

Crank the oiler up to the max. The oil tank is supposed to have oil left when the fuel runs out. It has more oil then fuel so the oil doesn't run out while you are using it. Looks like thats where you sre doing the most cutting on the bar. Make sure you flip the bar every now and then to spread the wear out more evenly. If you cut in the same spot on the bar it will wear the most in those spots. Try to use different spots on the bar to equalize bar wear. But it looks normal to me.
As for the groove getting saw dust and preventing the oil from getting to all parts of the chain and bar is not a big deal. That saw dust gets soaked in oil and the chain will drag the oil to all parts of the bar no mater if it is clogged with saw dust. I only clean out the bar groove when I change the chain or flip the bar. I typically only flip the bar and clean the groove when I put on a new chain.

However, if you hit the dirt, please stop and clean the bar groove because the dirt will grind and wear things out faster. But just saw dust, not so much.
First thing I was going to say, crank the oiler up all the way. We made sure the oil tank was empty when the gas tank was. Why scrimp on a few cents worth of oil on an expensive tool. This Homelite Super 1050 was used commercially for 20 plus years, then I used it for milling until a couple years ago. That is the 50 year old bar and it's 100% serviceable. My Dad bought that saw new in 72-73? I have plenty more in the 40 and 50 year range with their original bars. Lots of oil.
4laqa2f.jpg

Latest posts

Back