clean used MS362 value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarhollow

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking at a 362 w/o computer chip carb
whats a fair price for a clean used one and what should the compression be

I had a MS362cm and sold it; I think it is the "joke" in their pro lineup. I am Stihl through and through, but my Dolmar 6100 and Stihl 360 Pro ran circles around my MS362. If you don't want the M-Tronic system and are comfortable with a standard carburetor, try a Stihl 360/036 or a Dolmar 6100 (they are larger and heavier, but are solid saws).

I have three 60cc saws

An Echo 590, a Husky 262xp (original 1990 model in really nice shape), and a 2011 MS362.

In spite of the banter on here at times I gotta say the Stihl is by far the smoothest, it is similar in power to the 262xp ( so quite a bit stronger on top than the Echo), and certainly the most refined albeit overcomplicated in construction. It is a little bulky, but still handles better than the Echo, imo (handling is a personal thing). I have run a 562xp and an ms361.

There is nothing wrong with a non-mtronic ms362 as far as I know. It is one of the best 60cc saws available, for sure. There's a lot of them out there being used commercially by pros who don't complain about them. There are far more complaints about equivalent Huskies. But oh, that handling that can't be resisted...

That being said, I would rather have a 361 over the 362 for the better handling and the less complex design. I would give up a little torque for that.

Just an opinion, but it bugs me all the slander on a perfectly decent saw.

Anyway, good luck selling your saw. It's worth 550.00 (Canadian) if it is in really nice shape, imo. Good luck with the sale.

I have held a 6100 and couldn't get away from it fast enough. A couple of minutes in my hands was enough to scratch it from my list of desireables. I imagine it has a great motor, as Dolmars do, but I bet it is very ungainly in the handling department. Some don't know what a truly good handling saw feels like. I have a few. My 2152 Jonny being the best for me.

Everybody has an opinion, so there's mine fwiw.

2c

Oops, i guess you are a buyer, not a seller.
:angry:

Have had my standard carb 362 going on 6 years. Not as "cool" or fast as the Hooskie 562 . Zero issues in the time I've had it;
bought used at $500 with very little time on it. I run this saw quite a bit every year.

Never had any issues with dust/crap getting behind the air filter; new 362s have the updated filter

The dust/crap thing is due to hamfistedness, imo.

There is almost no room to seat the tabs at the bottom of the filter. Activating the choke lever gives just enough room so as not to distort the plastic when installing the filter. Non issue here.

PS, there were far fewer problems with the early ms362's than with the early 562xp's

I think the new gen 2 562's are more refined than gen 1's. Glad I waited for them to get bugs worked out. Actually going to buy 1 today to go with my 346xp and 372 xp. Also been great saws for me. At 63 years old hoping to get buy with 346 and new 562. 372 getting a little heavy.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I think the new gen 2 562's are more refined than gen 1's. Glad I waited for them to get bugs worked out. Actually going to buy 1 today to go with my 346xp and 372 xp. Also been great saws for me. At 63 years old hoping to get buy with 346 and new 562. 372 getting a little heavy.

Not sure how big of wood you're chasing with that 372, but my 562 is all I could ask for with a 20" bar. The 362s I built this year needed to wear an 18" to perform at the same level. If I needed a 24" bar a couple times a year I'm confident it could fill in for a 372 in that role.

After further research , I find they made changes in 2016 to address heat issues and other minor issues but did not call it gen.2. The dealer may have told me the 550 auto tune went to a gen 2 . I got confused and I apologize. Thank you for clearing my head. Love this forum. Very informative

The 550 was totally redesigned, it's called the 550 Mark II, which was a mistake IMHO it should have been renamed so there would be no confusion. Both the oreginal 550 and 562 have gone through numerous improvements and changes through their life span, this happens to most models, however with these saws it was a bit more extreme, as the initial design simply wasn't tested properly before being released.

As of now it looks like the 562 won't be getting a complete redesigned like the 550.

As in heavier. Significantly heavier, especially after 5 or 6 hours.
I've heard the latest 362s are lighter. The last gen C-Ms I did this year were not noticeably lighter in my hands, and they definitely lacked the "spirt" a 562 has if you know what I mean;).

I've heard the latest 362s are lighter. The last gen C-Ms I did this year were not noticeably lighter in my hands, and they definitely lacked the "spirt" a 562 has if you know what I mean;).
They seem to be. I bought a newer v2 362 on Friday. It feels slightly bigger than the 261 v2

After further research , I find they made changes in 2016 to address heat issues and other minor issues but did not call it gen.2. The dealer may have told me the 550 auto tune went to a gen 2 . I got confused and I apologize. Thank you for clearing my head. Love this forum. Very informative

Apologize not needed. He probably told you about el-44,el-46, el-48 and 55a carb updates. Looks like gen 4 to me. My gen 2 (el-46) runs fine and has never given me trouble.

Back