Water Heater Size? Gas or electric?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking to put in a new water heater in my guest house. There are no appliances, I just need hot water for a shower, bathroom sink, and kitchenette. What size would you recommend and would you do gas or electric? The water heater closet does have 220 service already wired in.

I should mention that the shower will be used daily from May though September. The system is drained and winterized from November through April.

I’m looking to put in a new water heater in my guest house. There are no appliances, I just need hot water for a shower, bathroom sink, and kitchenette. What size would you recommend and would you do gas or electric? The water heater closet does have 220 service already wired in.
I have an on demand propane water heater for my house, love it! Starts without electricity, if you got water and propane, you got unlimited hot Water! There are many variables that determine what would work best in your area.

Propane is relatively cheap now (I’m under contract at 1.19 a gallon or less till spring.) And with a 1000 gallon tank I can go a long time between fills.

Electric would be easier but I’m really disenchanted with our electric Co-op. Frankly they can suck balls for all I care. And their prices have gone up significantly in the last decade where propane is now cheaper.

My understanding of traditional water heaters is that electric are cheaper to buy but propane is usually cheaper to operate, so they end up cheaper in the long run. Don't know how tankless models fit into the equation.

Propane is relatively cheap now (I’m under contract at 1.19 a gallon or less till spring.) And with a 1000 gallon tank I can go a long time between fills.

Electric would be easier but I’m really disenchanted with our electric Co-op. Frankly they can suck balls for all I care. And their prices have gone up significantly in the last decade where propane is now cheaper.

Sounds to me like you answered it right there :). I’ve always heard the propane is the better price point but I believe the electric heats quicker or higher temps. I can’t fully recall but I’d definitely go tankless and by what you’re describing I’d go with the propane model.

I’m a bit leery on tankless....my office has one and even with it cranked all the way up it doesn’t provide enough hot water to wash a sink full of dishes. Maybe that’s a smaller/cheaper model though? I guess I’ll have to check the specs on it.

I’m a bit leery on tankless....my office has one and even with it cranked all the way up it doesn’t provide enough hot water to wash a sink full of dishes. Maybe that’s a smaller/cheaper model though? I guess I’ll have to check the specs on it.

It definitely could be a smaller cheaper unit. Companies and such do like to look out for their bottom line above most things. In addition to whole house models they do have point of use units too for individual sinks and such. I’m always one for bigger than necessary because it’ll be more efficient and work better for the long haul. It also depends how many sinks/showers/dishwashers/washing machines and so on that you have connected and running simultaneously.

electric is the way to go! with out electricity you wont have water if your on a private water well, as all the cheap propane in the world will do you no good! generator maybe? on demand is a good money saver, a saver for a backup generator if you don't have one already? just my two cents.

electric is the way to go! with out electricity you wont have water if your on a private water well, as all the cheap propane in the world will do you no good! generator maybe? on demand is a good money saver, a saver for a backup generator if you don't have one already? just my two cents.
At some point I’d like to get a generator large enough to run the 220 well pump.

I switched our cottage from propane to electricity and wish I had done it earlier. I was pissed at propane company when their tank leaked and I got no compensation for it. I told them to pick up their tank and switched to electric. Made more sense since I could just flip a breaker when we left and on arrival for weekends.

This setup sounds similar to our cottage. Which came with a small 120v electric tank heater (not sure size - maybe 20 gallons?). I have been suspicious of it since we got it, it looks pretty old. But if it ever gives out I will replace it with a new one of the same type & size or maybe even a bit smaller - cheap & easy. Not sure how many showers will be taken in a day at your place, but the small size helps keep people from taking too-long ones. Which also helps with our also suspect very shallow well & water supply.

Ours is plugged into a switched outlet. We turn the switch off when leaving & on when arriving. I was there last weekend, first time in almost a month. Hit the switch & had a nice hot shower an hour later. End of season (coming very soon), we just turn it off (all the power to the whole place, actually), and open a ball valve to drain the whole system down through the floor.

If we were in a place with gas, I might consider a gas heater - but this is just too easy for us, and no maintenance of any kind. And cheap to buy & cheap to run. No doubt gas would be cheaper to run, but with how much it is used, I don't think the savings would be a whole lot - it is only used for washing a few dishes, and the occasional shower.

Latest posts

Back