Toasted my clone ms660 on amsoil at 100:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that doesn't seem like a good idea... I used my multi-meter measuring the frequency of the spark plug voltage to determine RPM but did it more to be curious to see where I was at in comparison to a stated MAX rpm spec.

In the first places Amsoil doesnt refine oil. They buy base oils from X company and additives from another and blend them.
In the second place the big boys like Chevron, Shell, and Mobil will not sell there best base oils and additives to Amsoil.
In other words Amsoil isnt among the best by a long shot.
This is not an accurate statement.
Amsoil is a blender, they do buy refined base oil and blend their proprietary additives to make a finished oil.
Valvoline also operates like this.
Refined oil is sold like a commodity product. The refined oil Exxon Mobil might sell to Valvoline, or Amsoil is the same product they use in their own oil.

There are different grades of synthetic base oil, grp 3, 4 and 5.
An oil blender can order any base oil they choose. Your cheaper synthetics are group 3 based, while the better ones are a larger percent group 4 or 5.

The additive package is what makes the oil.
The very best base oils,with a weak additive package, will still yeild a oil that doesn't last as long or protect as well.

Amsoil makes a product with more group 4 base stock and a stronger add pack than most competing oils.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

This is not an accurate statement.
Amsoil is a blender, they do buy refined base oil and blend their proprietary additives to make a finished oil.
Valvoline also operates like this.
Refined oil is sold like a commodity product. The refined oil Exxon Mobil might sell to Valvoline, or Amsoil is the same product they use in their own oil.

There are different grades of synthetic base oil, grp 3, 4 and 5.
An oil blender can order any base oil they choose. Your cheaper synthetics are group 3 based, while the better ones are a larger percent group 4 or 5.

The additive package is what makes the oil.
The very best base oils,with a weak additive package, will still yeild a oil that doesn't last as long or protect as well.

Amsoil makes a product with more group 4 base stock and a stronger add pack than most competing oils.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
The big refiners I mentioned have there own proprietary base oils and additive packages that they do not sell.
Amsoil does not produce additives either. If you drive by their facility its pretty apparent it it's a packaging and warehouse outfit.
Group 4 base oils are not typicaly used in two cycle oils.
I am aware of how the refining industry works because I work for a refinery..
And if you think Amsoil can support an R and D budget like a 300+ billion dollar company like Exxon Mobil you are on drugs.

In the first places Amsoil doesnt refine oil. They buy base oils from X company and additives from another and blend them.
In the second place the big boys like Chevron, Shell, and Mobil will not sell there best base oils and additives to Amsoil.
In other words Amsoil isnt among the best by a long shot.

True they don't refine their own base stocks. But like so many things you've said, and how many times you've contradicted yourself, you're incorrect about the quility of Amsoil. Amsoil makes excellent products. The marking lacks integrity.

The big refiners I mentioned have there own proprietary base oils and additive packages that they do not sell.
Amsoil does not produce additives either. If you drive by their facility its pretty apparent it it's a packaging and warehouse outfit.
Group 4 base oils are not typicaly used in two cycle oils.
I am aware of how the refining industry works because I work for a refinery..
And if you think Amsoil can support an R and D budget like a 300+ billion dollar company like Exxon Mobil you are on drugs.
Amsoil also isn't as big of a Corporation who manufactures everything down to the fraction of a cent. Sure Mobil can make the best, but they're in the business of money, not necessarily the best.

True they don't refine their own base stocks. But like so many things you've said, and how many times you've contradicted yourself, you're incorrect about the quility of Amsoil. Amsoil makes excellent products. The marking lacks integrity.
I have not contradicted myself..
Some amsoil products are OK, some are pretty mediocre at best.

To make it a product manufacturers also have to pre-dilute the stuff because in pure form it is most probably not very fluid. If I buy a 2-stroke oil rated for mixing ratios of 25:1 to 50:1 (yupp, I usually buy the cheap stuff at home centers) I will always stay somewhere in the middle and/or stick to 25:1 for heavy duty use. I used to use the red Stihl 25:1 oil which very much resembled the 25-50:1 stuff I am using now (have been for 10+ years). Even true 50:1 rated oils I mix at 40:1.
Never had an engine seize on me or too much carbon deposit from the oil mixing ratio.
The carb setting (air/fuel mix) is a completely different story, though, and probably a more decisive factor in seizures...

In racing two stroke engines for many years I have learned to look for a balance in set up and tuning. By that I mean that a engine set up combined with the tuning one has to anticipate what will the maximum load and duration will be. Or what will the temperature and the amount of time those aspects will be at play during a particular event. With chain saws the same principles apply, but happen much faster and of course are much easier to anticipate. Who ever was running a 660 or any other saw at a very lean oil ratio of oil could have successfully ran the saws for days with out any problems if they were tuned, but they were not adjusted even close or way off the mark. The issue that has been described has been if some one runs a very lean oil ratio with out properly adjusting the engine how long will it last. The answer not long. In other words if some one was to mix a good oil at a ratio of 34:1 and not tune the engine properly the engine is far more likely to live than at a very lean ratio. I could mix amsoil at 125:1 and run many saws with out any mechanical failures. The richer the fuel mixture is the cooler the internal temperatures are. So a motor running a 125:1 oil ratio that was quite rich as far a fuel mixture they would have cooler interal temperatures with more cooler lubrication available. Thanks

I have not contradicted myself..
Some amsoil products are OK, some are pretty mediocre at best.
You contradicted yourself on numerous topics about numerous things over the years. You didn't like me saying that, now you're replying to every post I make. Seems like this type of thing happens when daylight becomes a premium.

In racing two stroke engines for many years I have learned to look for a balance in set up and tuning. By that I mean that a engine set up combined with the tuning one has to anticipate what will the maximum load and duration will be. Or what will the temperature and the amount of time those aspects will be at play during a particular event. With chain saws the same principles apply, but happen much faster and of course are much easier to anticipate. Who ever was running a 660 or any other saw at a very lean oil ratio of oil could have successfully ran the saws for days with out any problems if they were tuned, but they were not adjusted even close or way off the mark. The issue that has been described has been if some one runs a very lean oil ratio with out properly adjusting the engine how long will it last. The answer not long. In other words if some one was to mix a good oil at a ratio of 34:1 and not tune the engine properly the engine is far more likely to live than at a very lean ratio. I could mix amsoil at 125:1 and run many saws with out any mechanical failures. The richer the fuel mixture is the cooler the internal temperatures are. So a motor running a 125:1 oil ratio that was quite rich as far a fuel mixture they would have cooler interal temperatures with more cooler lubrication available. Thanks
OK Ted run straight gas and adjust as fat as you want and tell me it didn't seize after cutting a truck load of firewood! I dare you. Put your money up not just your opinion. Mike

Latest posts

Back