Ms 260 pro advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Some of you may remember me trying to get an ms 260 ( fathers saw ) sent from uk to Australia.

Back in the uk now and had a look at it. It’s the pro model with fully adjustable carb and Oiler.

Pulled the exhaust and can see considerable scoring. Likely to be oil seals leaking air and leaning the mix causing scoring. I’m going to bring it back without the piston, cylinder and seals and then replace them (will check bearings and crank of course. Not totally sure what it will cost to replace with OEM but I’ll do it anyway. I plan to overhaul the whole saw with repainting it too after stripping the old etc. should be a fun but long project!

04E6FA05-09E8-4542-863B-F79BB97A6BCB.jpeg

I plan to overhaul the whole saw with repainting it too after stripping the old etc. should be a fun but long project!

View attachment 767783
Hard to say for sure without seeing more surfaces of the saw but what I can see is a saw that will look GREAT after a good cleaning and not so great if repainted. That said, do whatever sparks joy (apologies to M. Kondo).

Yes I would like to but don’t have the option as all my tools are in Australia haha
So don't tear it apart until you get back to AU! Take the whole saw back. Make sure it don't smell like gas on the plane. Oil shouldn't be a problem but gas (or the smell of it) would be.

BTW, the FW crank seal is a known leak point. Could also just be old/bad gas.

Back