Chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might cut corrugated cardboard that I sometimes use to light my wood stove. But, it would not be a clean cut.
I probably shouldn’t have said it wouldn’t cut much, but I did so
because I had one like it on a saw once, and the experience was terrible.

Could the OP take some video of the chain in the pictures cutting,
I don’t think it would cut anything the way it is.

It does cut, just more like a scratcher chain and less like the modern chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sharpen literally 100’s of chains a year and never had a complaint... If that’s the way he wants to sharpen chains, then he can stay the hell away from my saws because I can dull my own chains without his help.

I specialize in getting through to block heads, mostly because I have social skills.
Case in point: I saw a career hort wanker filing his chain and I noticed he didn’t progressively deal with the gullets so when I pointed that out he got all defensive and said, “don’t tell me how to file, I’ve been filing for 32 years!”
So not wanting to come across as a know it all I said that I’ve been filing for 39 years and I learned a few tricks from some saw racers in California and they really work.
Not trying to drop names but those guys are Dennis Cahoon, Art Martin, Tommy Fales, Mike Rupley and Ken Dunn.And mostly Walt Galer.

I specialize in getting through to block heads, mostly because I have social skills.
Case in point: I saw a career hort wanker filing his chain and I noticed he didn’t progressively deal with the gullets so when I pointed that out he got all defensive and said, “don’t tell me how to file, I’ve been filing for 32 years!”
So not wanting to come across as a know it all I said that I’ve been filing for 39 years and I learned a few tricks from some saw racers in California and they really work.
Not trying to drop names but those guys are Dennis Cahoon, Art Martin, Tommy Fales, Mike Rupley and Ken Dunn.
Walt Galer!!!!!!

If the dull chain guy wants to improve his skills he won’t take our criticism of his butchered chain to heart.
Like anything else, if you want to be good at something you have to have passion.
In other words you have to eat it, think it and breath it.

This is spot on advice. It took me a few months of cutting cookies when ever I could and constantly filling my chains like a quarter tank at lunchtime at work then afternoon smoko file and next morning smoko file other side.. lunchtime another quarter tank of cookies. Lap up all knowledge you can find learn who's talking shyte Learn learn learn no bloody file holder's or guides eather Barring a progressive raker gauge. A couple months and booyah my chains cut very very well.

Now I'm disgusted what I see from the stihl dealers idea of a 10 dollar grinder sharpen

Bad information annoys me like cutters need to be identical length and guys concentrating sooo hard on top plate angle and not a mention of the side plate whatsoever. The side and raker height are far more important than top plate.

And stop counting bloody strokes lol.

Sorry for too many sentences

This is spot on advice. It took me a few months of cutting cookies when ever I could and constantly filling my chains like a quarter tank at lunchtime at work then afternoon smoko file and next morning smoko file other side.. lunchtime another quarter tank of cookies. Lap up all knowledge you can find learn who's talking shyte Learn learn learn no bloody file holder's or guides eather Barring a progressive raker gauge. A couple months and booyah my chains cut very very well.

Now I'm disgusted what I see from the stihl dealers idea of a 10 dollar grinder sharpen

Bad information annoys me like cutters need to be identical length and guys concentrating sooo hard on top plate angle and not a mention of the side plate whatsoever. The side and raker height are far more important than top plate.

And stop counting bloody strokes lol.

Sorry for too many sentences
Sounds like you're ahead of this guy. Nevertheless, Amen brother! You're spot on.

Looking good! Took me about 20 years to get my chains looking that good.[emoji6] Some awesome tember your in there.

Really? It just took as gypo said it with "passion" I still see improvement in that cutter but it cut.

Yes it is lovely wood Monterey cypress sadly all for the fire but I don't have any milling gear so in the fire it goes. Learned how to drop the buggers from watching Billy more or less.

Billy's channel lead to this place (AS) and now in less than two years I have 15 or more saws all old Mac's a poulan 4000 and a few others. AS has sent my life in a completely different direction

Here's a we video to skip through it's very notty wood so kinda slow. Got a bit more on the old tube too.

Not trying to drop names but those guys are Dennis Cahoon, Art Martin, Tommy Fales, Mike Rupley and Ken Dunn.
I has social skillz.... OK Bro ;) ha ha ha

Really? It just took as gypo said it with "passion" I still see improvement in that cutter but it cut.

It wasn't until I started hand sharpening and saw HUGE improvements did my passion and obsession really kick in. I screwed around with a bench mounted grinder for a few years, and got good results, but nothing like hand filing.

I know this sounds wasteful (and it is), but many loggers who file sharpen their chains in the field usually never drop the chain's rakers and when the chain starts throwing powder, they put the chain out to pasture. :crazy:

Not me.

I used to chunk mine when I was a kid. I traded for a sharpener and had no training on using it. Mine were as good as the guys at the small engine shop I paid $5 a chain to do it so I run em until the teeth were jacked up from poor sharpening and would just throw them up in a tree. 10 sharpenings maybe. Sure regretted that crap last winter cutting big trees that were too small in one of those places 15 years ago. A chain in a fork is pretty hard on the chain on a saw!

I’d love to have back all the cheap bars and chains I wasted back when an Oregon bar was $20 and a roll of stihl chain was $150

Back