Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is funny Nate. I remember talking to a Game Warden several years back, and I was complaining about not seeing as many deer as I used to see.

He replied "Years ago people were allowed to let their dogs run free, and hunters went into the woods and hunted deer". "Now, all the dogs are inside or on leashes, and when the hunters go into the woods the deer go into peoples yards, they know the dogs can't get them, even when they bark at them".

I fear it is all too true!!! That, and all the people illegally baiting because they see it on TV!!!

I had 2 MS 460s come in today … they belong to a local Firewood seller. Both needed tune ups (air filter, plug, fuel filter) and one also needed a little carb adjustment.

The owner was tickled pink, he though both saws had more serious problems. It was obvious they had been "ridden hard and put away wet", but those 460s are tough saws.

Then my local Tree Guy brings me two more saws … both with muffler problems. The MS 440 was run till the muffler fell completely off, the two bottom bolts which I had lock tighted still in place with the thin piece of metal remaining between them … the a MS 660 with a rattling loose muffler. Don't know what the heck his guys are doing to these saws!!! Maybe they press the muffler against the tree when they run them??? I can't figure it out!

That is funny Nate. I remember talking to a Game Warden several years back, and I was complaining about not seeing as many deer as I used to see.

He replied "Years ago people were allowed to let their dogs run free, and hunters went into the woods and hunted deer". "Now, all the dogs are inside or on leashes, and when the hunters go into the woods the deer go into peoples yards, they know the dogs can't get them, even when they bark at them".

I fear it is all too true!!! That, and all the people illegally baiting because they see it on TV!!!
We've noted there just aren't hunters in the field these days...we used to see the road to our property lined with cars and hunters in the woods all day long. Last season I saw a total of three guys...the deer have no reason to move because nobody is pushing them.

We used to have at least a dozen calls for permission to hunt our property, haven't had a call in ten years.

There are more people bear hunting these days than hunting deer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Japanese reproduction rifles are of extremely good quality!! I own one original 1895 and one reproduction & prefer the repro. Both are 30-06.
Most big manufacturers went to Japan at one point or another...some of the best hunting rifles are Japanese.

The little ranch is just a catch all lil shed, keeps the saws, generator, tools, and ooops I burnt the bigger ranch kinda gear,a place to keep the rain off yer head as you watch the bigger fire.
That's cool. I was talking about the little thing in the front detached from the house, looks like a blue chep pallet sticking out of it, is that what you were talking about.

I had 2 MS 460s come in today … they belong to a local Firewood seller. Both needed tune ups (air filter, plug, fuel filter) and one also needed a little carb adjustment.

The owner was tickled pink, he though both saws had more serious problems. It was obvious they had been "ridden hard and put away wet", but those 460s are tough saws.

Then my local Tree Guy brings me two more saws … both with muffler problems. The MS 440 was run till the muffler fell completely off, the two bottom bolts which I had lock tighted still in place with the thin piece of metal remaining between them … the a MS 660 with a rattling loose muffler. Don't know what the heck his guys are doing to these saws!!! Maybe they press the muffler against the tree when they run them??? I can't figure it out!
Those 460's are beauty saws, to bad they don't have an angled top handle and better anti vibe. I don'y care so much about the air filtration issues because the saws just keep going regardless lol. I remember the first one I owned looked like a piece of junk, I bought it for like 350 in NW Indiana, it was a strong saw. Stock they push almost 180 psi, lots of torque, way more than the 440 in stock form although they weigh a bit more too.
Maybe they're running them like they're huskys with all those bolts coming out lol.
I'd like to see their chains.

Most big manufacturers went to Japan at one point or another...some of the best hunting rifles are Japanese.

I like my Jap products :yes:. I've never knowingly owned a Japanese gun though, not that I'm against it, just didn't realize they made many.
Maybe you guys will remind me of some now though, seems we forget a thing or two through the yrs :sucks:.

I like my Jap products :yes:. I've never knowingly owned a Japanese gun though, not that I'm against it, just didn't realize they made many.
Maybe you guys will remind me of some now though, seems we forget a thing or two through the yrs :sucks:.
I buy my guns to use. I have bought a few to collect and then sold them later only to find out they weren't worth what they were supposed to be anyhow. So they all get used. I do not care where they are made as long as they function safely.

I had a Ruger #3 that was a very accurate gun despite the short barrel. Smoothest trigger pull ever. But the tang safety would constantly flip if I carried the gun on a sling while wearing a hunting jacket. The safety functioned with normal pressure but I just do not get how it would flip with a coat. But I sold it as I did not want that happening.

I buy my guns to use. I have bought a few to collect and then sold them later only to find out they weren't worth what they were supposed to be anyhow. So they all get used. I do not care where they are made as long as they function safely.

I had a Ruger #3 that was a very accurate gun despite the short barrel. Smoothest trigger pull ever. But the tang safety would constantly flip if I carried the gun on a sling while wearing a hunting jacket. The safety functioned with normal pressure but I just do not get how it would flip with a coat. But I sold it as I did not want that happening.
Doesn't sound like one I'd want on my side either, there are enough surprises in life.
Was thinking about you this morning when I saw this in my feed.
10.4lbs and 2 hp :rare2:.

Doesn't sound like one I'd want on my side either, there are enough surprises in life.
Was thinking about you this morning when I saw this in my feed.
10.4lbs and 2 hp :rare2:.

small can be good. ms180 31.7cc, 1.9 bhp, 10.7lbs with bar and chain

Got my new saw today. Since it hasn’t been run I’m going to leave it that way and send it to Carl for porting in the spring.View attachment 768148
That's the biggest one we can get in Canada. The 7910 isn't offered here.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

small can be good. ms180 31.7cc, 1.9 bhp, 10.7lbs with bar and chain
Trust me I'm not opposed to light saws I have quite a few saws under 50cc and I like them a lot.
I like my little saws, just like a little better power to weight ratio. The price point is nice on a 180 though for what you get.
Little saws can do a lot of work and they typically add to my productivity by keeping me working longer so I'm not afraid to pay the higher dollars these saws command. I may actually buy another 200 rear handle if I can work everything out.
Took this box elder down a couple weeks ago with the ms200 rear handle, she also limbed it out and bucked it up:chainsaw:. I've ran at least 6-7 tanks thru the ms201 rear handle in the last 30 days too.
Did you miss the videos of the 200 and 201 I posted not long ago?
Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.43.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.44.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.44.27 PM.png

Latest posts

Back