Stihl 500i release date

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex68w

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any word on when these will be available from dealers here in the states? Trying to hold off on buying a 461 or 462 if it'll be out soon. Thanks for any info.

Any word on when these will be available from dealers here in the states? Trying to hold off on buying a 461 or 462 if it'll be out soon. Thanks for any info.

Rumors say November-ish, but I'm not aware of any statement from Stihl on the matter.

I got a reply from StihlUSA, the key word here is "tentative" but hopefully it's turns out to be accurate.

i1PXiP6.png

I haven't even seen one yet. But I wonder, and I'm sure no one on here would do it, but just how crash worthy will they be.
They will get run over by the skidder, dropped out of the bucket or my favorite, crushed buy the tree it's felling.
Will the possible repair costs outweigh the performance.

Long time coming. Might want to wait until bugs are worked out.

New saws are like new cars, YOU won't be able to fix things, got a good dealer/mech?

I would imagine it would be the same system on the TS 500. With the exception of generator problems when cutting steel, I haven’t seen any major problems. Early TS’s had harness problems, but they say that’s been addressed.
They made a big splash when introduced, but now everyone is back to the 410/420’s.
The diagnostic software had more bugs than the saw. That isn’t fixed yet.
Parts aren’t cheap. But fuel system parts fall under emissions, so you sort of have a two year warranty.
Just like the Mtrontics.

Any updates on availability? It’s firewood season hard and heavy here. I’d like to retire a couple saws in my rotation and this seems to fit the bill. Anyone have any inside info on what the pricing may be? Dealers here are out of touch with anything bigger than a 362, should I try and preorder one?

Any updates on availability? It’s firewood season hard and heavy here. I’d like to retire a couple saws in my rotation and this seems to fit the bill. Anyone have any inside info on what the pricing may be? Dealers here are out of touch with anything bigger than a 362, should I try and preorder one?

I'd love to know if there is any information around as well. I'm afraid the couple dealers I have checked with around here are completely clueless about the existence of the 500i.

I'd love to know if there is any information around as well. I'm afraid the couple dealers I have checked with around here are completely clueless about the existence of the 500i.
I called a big stihl dealer in Abilene. They didn’t know what it was, but they looked into it really quick. He told me to call in February. Offered to sell me a 461 with guarantee of good trade in value if I didn’t beat it up.
I’m a little worried what a 461 may bring after a 500 is released though. Guess I’ll just keep rotating 440’s for a while. My freshest one is the one I want to keep and I feel like I’ve been putting too much time on it lately for something I plan on keeping. May as well do a piston and some porting on the tired one. It’s on the bench now because the clutch drum shattered ‍♀️ When I threw a chain.

My dealer has been checking for me and last week the rep came by and said November. Today he spoke to him again on another matter and the rep said oh by the way the 500’s have been moved to the first of the year now.

I'm waiting until they come out with the new 270i.
A 45cc saw with the weight of a light 40cc saw and the power of a 60cc saw. Then I'll consider another new saw. So probably another three to five years, maybe.

Latest posts

Back