List of Upgrades to Vermeer SC252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is excellent and way to keep adding info AMMIXman. I just wanted to add that I have the service manual now for my 2003 SC252. It covers wiring and working on it with and without the autosweep and the honda and kohler engines if anyone needs the info. It is not the normal operation manual, but it is for my serial number rig. I don't think I can load the whole pdf on here, but I guess it is worth a try.

Attachments

• M46_sc252-tlr25_s1_00.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
This thread is excellent and way to keep adding info AMMIXman. I just wanted to add that I have the service manual now for my 2003 SC252. It covers wiring and working on it with and without the autosweep and the honda and kohler engines if anyone needs the info. It is not the normal operation manual, but it is for my serial number rig. I don't think I can load the whole pdf on here, but I guess it is worth a try.
This is the one book that did not come with my machine. I have a 2012 with operator presence so some stuff will not cross, I’m sure other things will. Thanks for adding it!

I have made many modifications on my sc252. I actually improved everything on the machine that could be improved and you won't believe how fast it became. I beat a 50HP Predator on an average job easily. The Predator might take slightly larger cuts per second, however the control you have when grinding with a 252 makes grinding so much more efficient than with any other machine. I'm able to follow the contours of the stump perfectly with manual control. This makes grinding so much more effective than grinding with a radio controlled grinder, as that one will be cutting in 'nothing' a lot during the job.
I have also improved the movability by changing the small wheel for a larger wide wheel. Second best mod ever! I can turn my sc252 180 degrees in just two seconds. I also did an engine mod and made my own (much heavier) grinding wheel with just 12 teeth.

I'm replacing the main horizontal pin & bushing on my 252... I took out the 5/16 nut & bolt holding it in, then removed the big nut on the other end... I put a few more spacers behind the nut, lubed the threads really well, and used the nut kinda like a puller, to pull the shaft out.. I tightened the nut as far as I could with my 3/4 impact wrench, then put heat on the bosses where it was stuck.. the nut slowly pulled the shaft out as it tightened.. when I ran out of threads, I put a longer spacer behind the nut and kept cranking on it... Does anyone have a part number for the bushing and the shaft?

I'm replacing the main horizontal pin & bushing on my 252... I took out the 5/16 nut & bolt holding it in, then removed the big nut on the other end... I put a few more spacers behind the nut, lubed the threads really well, and used the nut kinda like a puller, to pull the shaft out.. I tightened the nut as far as I could with my 3/4 impact wrench, then put heat on the bosses where it was stuck.. the nut slowly pulled the shaft out as it tightened.. when I ran out of threads, I put a longer spacer behind the nut and kept cranking on it... Does anyone have a part number for the bushing and the shaft?
I can get it for ya when I get home today if I can find my receipt, or find it in my manual. I replaced mine last winter.

Sounds like you were much smarter in the removal of yours than mine. I could not get mine out. I ended up with engine off and machine on its side, but it came out! Next time I’ll try pulling like you did instead of pushing with every damn trick in the book. CF7B9C3A-2CE0-4E26-9816-05C9AAE4AAB6.jpeg45351269-F434-4D57-9D20-CF1DED1D116A.jpegA551C4C7-BFF5-4F6B-89D6-92C3B8F00ED1.jpeg

I can get it for ya when I get home today if I can find my receipt, or find it in my manual. I replaced mine last winter.

Sounds like you were much smarter in the removal of yours than mine. I could not get mine out. I ended up with engine off and machine on its side, but it came out! Next time I’ll try pulling like you did instead of pushing with every damn trick in the book. View attachment 825722View attachment 825723View attachment 825724
I was a mechanic for 21 miserable years.. I'm better at fixing things than at explaining how I fixed them.. :)

I was a mechanic for 21 miserable years.. I'm better at fixing things than at explaining how I fixed them.. :)
I fully understand. Sorry it’s late. Long day. Think the part # you need is 107232001 and the two bushings are 1835025. I’ll attach photos. Not the greatest, sorry. Outward facing camera on the phone doesn’t work.

Attachments

• D60E2E1B-79B7-4406-8922-D5367E87C588.jpeg
    D60E2E1B-79B7-4406-8922-D5367E87C588.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 28E1BD61-37EC-4302-A056-C21034655993.jpeg
    28E1BD61-37EC-4302-A056-C21034655993.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 11
  • BC5362D9-382A-4C9A-B9D0-6FD9DA5F5E7D.jpeg
    BC5362D9-382A-4C9A-B9D0-6FD9DA5F5E7D.jpeg
    925.4 KB · Views: 12
  • CF4ABC3F-E84F-4BF9-BBD2-20EF7D28F696.jpeg
    CF4ABC3F-E84F-4BF9-BBD2-20EF7D28F696.jpeg
    778.1 KB · Views: 12
Thank you...

Anytime. Us 252ers got to help each other. Not many of us left I bet. Green teeth and hydro pulley swap if you haven’t read back. That and a saw with a 36” bar and I keep up with most of the diesel machines the tree services have, of course a lot of them don’t really know how to grind a stump efficiently, never had to learn always having as much HP as small cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anytime. Us 252ers got to help each other. Not many of us left I bet. Green teeth and hydro pulley swap if you haven’t read back. That and a saw with a 36” bar and I keep up with most of the diesel machines the tree services have, of course a lot of them don’t really know how to grind a stump efficiently, never had to learn always having as much HP as small cars.
I have a 222 (with a 25hp Kohler) and a 252.. The 222 has six 1100 series green teeth on it.. it cuts really well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1100series? That the three sided?

I run the 900 series, also 6 teeth.

Do you know if the pockets are the same and they would work in mine if I ordered some to try?

I called green teeth and asked about the three sided and if they would fit and of course they recommended just to stick with the 900s. I never ordered any to try. I think they may have been 1100s I was asking about but I couldn’t be sure they’d bolt into my pockets.

Also I forgot to mention disabling auto sweep. Gotta careful not to bite off too much you can jam the machine up and shut it down. Sure is nice to have full control of the machine though. No getting seriously slowed down and you can bite off more without worry of it; just not to much.

Auto sleep off. Smaller hydro pulley.

And you know about green teeth.

I'm not sure if the pockets are the same or not.. the shank on the 1100 series teeth is 1/2 inch.. takes a 3/4 inch socket to turn the teeth.. I can measure the length..

I'm not sure if the pockets are the same or not.. the shank on the 1100 series teeth is 1/2 inch.. takes a 3/4 inch socket to turn the teeth.. I can measure the length..
Ahh. I see. They are likely not the same, mine come off with a 5/8 socket.

Thank you for the quick reply.

6CB897FF-5F1D-462C-B1F3-C35C192F8FD4.jpeg

Keep stumpin! Stay safe! Stay Healthy!
Bruce
“Uncle Roots”

Not sure if this will help anyone but I just went through and purchased replacement belts for my machine. FYI I just bought all of these belts from vbeltguys.com for about 60 bucks shipped. The Vermeer jackshaft belt is only $25 right now so that;s not bad!

This is what MY machine had on it:

Jackshaft belt

Part# - #142468001. This is a four rib/cog belt

Engine to jackshaft belt

(2x) Part# 123173-001-1. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a 2 rib banded belt but my machine had a pair of single ribs

Engine to pump belt

Dayco L428 or more generic 48x280.

thanks,

Drew

Also, I found that my split lock bushing for one of my jackshaft pulleys was cracked. The jackshaft is 1.25" diameter. If you are in this situation, look for Part# SH114 on ebay. TB Woods, Martin, Masterdrive, all make something similar. Just bought one on ebay for 15 bucks brand new. Pay close attention to the hole orientation as I have seen some where the mounting (not threaded) and removal (threaded) hole positions are reversed.

thanks,

Drew

Hello fellow 252ers

I installed the oil cooler kit on my machine last night. I bit more work than I expected. Not a direct bolt on for sure. Some (not me) must remove the flywheel to replace a bracket if it doesn’t have the correct hole in it!

I’m going to update it too. I do not like where the factory oil cooler sits on the blower housing. I am either going to get another blower housing to modify differently, or just remotely locate the cooler on the boom or something, and still replace the housing because it now has cut outs. I really do not like how close it is to a sensor wire, or a rectifier lead.

Kohler Kit: Kohler 24 755 120-s Oil Cooler Kit

It is the right kit. Fits well minus being told close to the some factory wiring.

If anyone goes to do this and they have trouble with the template message me. They do not make it very clear how to line it up.

Bruce

3B4F5C09-3850-49A2-921A-F74A09891CE1.jpeg9C251912-0C76-42D6-BB3A-AE0BAB00A7E2.jpeg

I added a cupholder, an adjustable umbrella, and a clip on fan.
Not mechanical changes, but they sure help me be more productive.

I added a cupholder, an adjustable umbrella, and a clip on fan.
Not mechanical changes, but they sure help me be more productive.

I cannot tell for sure if you are kidding. I think maybe you are not. I am seriously considering these modifications. Seriusly might help with productivity!!

I’ve done everything else I think I can do to her without overpowering the machine, wich some have done with good results.

Serious. But also fun. Will drop pics when I get a chance. I thought out the design for a while before building. My grinder is a 222, but practically the same.

Latest posts

Back