Troubleshooting Champion 27 Ton Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtManOregon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a model 100424 Champion 27 ton 224 CC log splitter that is one year old. Its been running great but this am I started her up and the cylinder won't move! I checked both fluids- oil and hydraulic and they are fine. Is there an adjustment somewhere on these or did I possibly break a coupler on it? Please help. Thanks!

I've got a model 100424 Champion 27 ton 224 CC log splitter that is one year old. Its been running great but this am I started her up and the cylinder won't move! I checked both fluids- oil and hydraulic and they are fine. Is there an adjustment somewhere on these or did I possibly break a coupler on it? Please help. Thanks!
Welcome to AS @MtManOregon. Check to make sure you coupler is spinning when the motor is running. There is a key on the shaft and it possibly is broken or missing.

I couldn't find the coupler, but I did find this adjustable screw on the end of the control valve handle. When I removed the black plastic dust cover on it and the nut fell right off the end of the star screw. Does this affect the movement of the splitter wedge and cylinder? Thanks for any help. By the way the manual's schematics doesn't even identify the coupler location but does list it on the parts list.

The above is a photo of the control valve and the black plastic covering the adjustable screw (which is not even mentioned in the owners manual!)

The coupler is located between the engine and the hydraulic pump.
Here is a pic, it is in the middle of the black bracket that mounts the pump to the engine.
bcf9cc80ec57f5579871b7f540632c88.jpg

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I couldn't find the coupler, but I did find this adjustable screw on the end of the control valve handle. When I removed the black plastic dust cover on it and the nut fell right off the end of the star screw. Does this affect the movement of the splitter wedge and cylinder? Thanks for any help. By the way the manual's schematics doesn't even identify the coupler location but does list it on the parts list.

Yes it could. Be careful how tight you put it back on, I'm not sure on your application if it's an adjustable relief or not.
Is there a spring in there too?

Jeff do you have a part number or Lovejoy number - i am having trouble with customer service figuring the correct replacement - Thank You
First welcome to the forum. If you have any farm stores like TSC in your area they should be able to match your lovejoy parts you need or take a look at Surplus center's web site and find the lovejoy parts you need by size.

Back