morning firewood adventure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 months is like 2 minutes in oak years. its not like they were gonna rot anytime soon. It wouldn't be worth the anxiety for me. I drive past a smaller industrial park on my way to the dump and there is always pallets sitting between the sidewalk and the road in front of some small tool and die shops. i assume they are free for the taking, but also don't know if someone has dibs on them.

2 months is like 2 minutes in oak years. its not like they were gonna rot anytime soon. It wouldn't be worth the anxiety for me. I drive past a smaller industrial park on my way to the dump and there is always pallets sitting between the sidewalk and the road in front of some small tool and die shops. i assume they are free for the taking, but also don't know if someone has dibs on them.
I stop and ask, lumber store, roofing biz, granite &flooring shop. Granite ships in on "A" frames of wood that I can get. Gonna use for best mirror aiming yet= solar heat assist.
Have ended up with more than enough pallets for what I've got for splitting so far.

About 1.2 miles down the road, (very rural area), there have been two large red oak logs sitting there for a couple months. About 10' off the road. No houses nearby the wood. Closest house about 500' away. So, I decided to do a snatch and grab. Brought the Kioti NX4510 over with front grapple and 5x10 trailer. One log was 42"diam, x 13'6" long. The other was 25" diam, x 10' long.

Head over there with my brothers MS660 in tow. Cut the bigger log in 3 sections and the smaller log in half. Load the 2 small log halves onto the trailer and grapple a third of the big log. Everything's going smooth, until about half way back home some ******* comes up the road dead in the middle going about 50mph. Speed limit is 25mph. Hit the brakes, and out pops the big log from the grapple. I'm on a slight downhill stretch. Log is continuing to roll down the road. I'm praying a car isn't coming. Rolls about 200' and stops. I was able to grab it and quickly head home to change my pants.

Wife asks if anything I've done is illegal. No honey, of course not!!! Why do you ask? Oh, because I saw a DOT truck nearby with lights on. Uh oh. I quickly unloaded and took my truck over to the site to see what was going on. No DOT truck, nothing. Went back home. Worked on the logs for awhile, and about 2 hours later went back to retrieve the remaining two sections of the big log. After checking that the DOT or DPW or police weren't there. This time, I strapped the logs down to the grapple and rear 3 point fork. Didn't take the trailer this time.

Made it home and am happy everything worked out. Thank goodness my house is far off the road and out of sight.
I’m sure the landowner appreciated that

i guess i'm lucky to be in a county where when there are trees down by the roadside or getting in way of power lines, the county workers cut and stack it for anyone to pick it up

i guess i'm lucky to be in a county where when there are trees down by the roadside or getting in way of power lines, the county workers cut and stack it for anyone to pick it up

Similar situation here on the highway coming in to town which is lined with trees. The shire workmen clean up the brush and buck up the trunks or branches and anyone can get them. It normally doesn't take long for them to disappear and I think that it's good that they do this.

Last year I stop to talk a guy on the side of the road loading rocks off a stone wall. He tells me he has permission from the land owner to take them, I say thats funny because I'm the land owner and if you don't put them back I will call the PD. He put them back, if he had asked I wouldn't have cared.

Just to be clear.

I do agree I should have asked first. However, people burning wood are a niche community. People on forums like this make up a single digit percent of people on earth, if that. I just love how people act as though a 42" diameter x 13.5' long log is a gift from the heavens. The reality is most people, including many here wouldn't/couldn't even bother cutting it up. Too much work, and/or don't have a saw big enough. Would you same guys be thanking me profusely if I dropped a log of this size at the end of your driveway? Or would you cuss me out???

Guess its easier to sit behind your screen and make one line wisecracks talking **** on the guy trying to keep his family warm. I know what people are going to say, its the principal, you should have asked first. I KNOW, I said I was in the wrong. Get over it. Its not a Channel 4 news story.

I'm not gonna lose sleep over this either way.

It has nothing to do with being a niche community. Nobody is saying it's a golden log. It could be a rotting piece of pine. What most of the guys are getting at is if it ain't yours don't take it. No matter the value, no matter who could or couldn't handle it.

If you're saying you're wrong I can respect that, we're all human. That's all anybody is saying.

The sad thing is, people will let many things rot before they give the ok to somebody who can use it. That's their choice and they'll have to deal with that.

There was a decent pile of cedar logs in a field near my grandparents, talked to the neighbors, nobody knew anything, was even gonna offer money. Now there's a crappy pile of logs sitting there, many years later.

If your referring to me sorry you feel that way, I could not give two sh-ts what you do. I only thought of that story from reading the above, nothing to do with you or what you did or did not do. just thought it was a good story, nothing more.
Guess its easier to sit behind your screen and make one line wisecracks

Back