What to get.....462 or 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're having a hard time deciding between those two, maybe you should consider the 500i. Should be here before too long and if you can't wait some guys are getting them from overseas.
You beat me to it Ryan. I just ran a brand new/never gassed one Saturday at our GTG. Very impressive. I thought it would be close to my 462 but a big difference with the fuel injection. Rumors around are Nov./Dec. release here.

What are you trying to say?

There are guys here that claim to hike into deep deep areas to clear trails, and claim that every ounce makes a HUGE difference. Those of us (MOST) that cut firewood will never notice the difference. Most all of cutting is with a tree lying on the ground and the saw is fully supported by the log.

There are guys here that claim to hike into deep deep areas to clear trails, and claim that every ounce makes a HUGE difference. Those of us (MOST) that cut firewood will never notice the difference. Most all of cutting is with a tree lying on the ground and the saw is fully supported by the log.
Anyone that doesn't notice a huge difference between a 661 and a 462 is out in left field or just full of it.

Anyone that doesn't notice a huge difference between a 661 and a 462 is out on left field or just full of it.

Exactly. The 661 is more powerful, with some added weight. It is up to the buyer to decide if a bit more weight is not worth the extra power. Bucking logs to length that are on the ground minimizes the extra weight everybody here claims is a deal breaker.

bigger is not always better. my vote for the 462
my go to saw is a 461, I also have a 460
For larger blocking I have a 064 and a 660, however I rarely use the 660IMG_0079.jpg as I don't often find a big one like this.
I do have a 440 that I run with a 20" bar as well as a 260 that are really nice for smaller stuff and limbing.

Thanks, Montana Resident! Would I hike deep into woods with big saw, or trim/limb with a big saw all day of course not! But like the OP, I have a 50cc saw for that.

But for the intended purpose (bucking large trees and felling large trees) the extra weight is not big difference. I've been using my 660 more lately than my 461. If I were on a one say plan would I get a 90cc saw, no way.

I say BS to that. Even when I was in my prime, the difference between running a 660 and a 460 was highly noticeable. Hiking into the woods and falling tracts, or just cutting firewood in my front yard. Running a few hours or running all day. Never notice the difference... no way, Jose.

You guys in Montana and the Dakotas must make Andre the Giant look small. Y'all need to step up to 880 and 3120xp, not these weenie 660 and 461 saws.

This site has gone to the amateurs again I see.

If you have any thought of Milling the 661 would do over the 462.
There is a weight and mass difference... don't be fooled holding one after the other in the shop.
Holding one or the other for an hour will show the difference.
I owned a couple 661's. Anything after 2016 is fine.
My 2013 cracked at clutch-side housing.
Plenty of other issues suspected as well. (not my saw but from others experiences).
The '16 saw was perfect as could be.

I say BS to that. Even when I was in my prime, the difference between running a 660 and a 460 was highly noticeable. Hiking into the woods and falling tracts, or just cutting firewood in my front yard. Running a few hours or running all day. Never notice the difference... no way, Jose.

You guys in Montana and the Dakotas must make Andre the Giant look small. Y'all need to step up to 880 and 3120xp, not these weenie 660 and 461 saws.

This site has gone to the amateurs again I see.

Is this a logging site? Or a chainsaw firewood cutting site?

Funny thing, I ran into an old logger and he told me several stories that confirm much of what I say. He was in the logging business when Homelites were the saws to have. And like now, back then all the young bucks would modify and tweak and port their saws, and they would blow out in short order. He told me, if you wanted a more powerful saw, buy a more powerful saw. Of course logging is a whole lot different today then it was back then.

June%202016%20-%20Caterpillar.jpg

Says arborist site...no?

Actually an Arborist is a tree surgeon. i.e. the caring for and well being of trees. That sounds a bit different then logging, to me.

Furthermore, also here is politics, guns, cooking, etc discussions. In fact there are some/many that never post anywhere but in those areas. For some it seems, that this is all about promoting the greatness of Trump, the hoarding of ammo, or the making of great jam and jelly, ...

Actually an Arborist is a tree surgeon. i.e. the caring for and well being of trees. Direct me to the area where there is the discussion of keeping trees healthy, pruning and the planting of trees and landscaping.

Furthermore, also here is politics, guns, cooking, etc discussions. In fact there are some/many that never post anywhere but in those areas. For some it seems, that this is all about promoting the greatness of Trump, the hoarding of ammo, or the making great jam and jelly, ...
All we got is mustang grapes.
Could probably round up some prickly pears not too far away.

Here's a couple of those links you asked for.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/commercial-tree-care-and-climbing.2/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/arborist-101.50/

According to Stihl's specs...

• My 066 weights 16.10lbs dry PHO and with a little math thrown in, comes in at 18.15lbs PHO + full fluids
  • My 460R weighs 15.20lbs dry PHO and full of fluids, comes in at 17.14lbs
  • My 461 weighs 14.60lbs dry PHO and full of fluids, comes in at 16.54lbs

Now, the delta between a 066 and a 462c is greater than the delta between the 066 and a 461. The MS462 full of fluids comes in at 14.84lbs, which is a delta of 3.31lbs.

If I was going to carry one all day every day, holding it at arms reach or overhead, then yes, a 462 would definitely be noticeable. To each his own I guess...

Back