Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was that the second one I did for you? That one was a real good runner
I'm sure the first one sucked, right lol.
Did either have the 272 coil.
Been running quite a few tanks thru the ported 2166 with that muffler I got from you, sounds great, thanks.

For sure!! I even sharped the 361 and 441, brought the F150 around and loaded it with the tools this afternoon. Gonna feel god cutting some real fire wood. Debating whether to to tell 'Tom" about it. He is my retired dentist from the old days but looks like death warmed over, skin and bones. .

Came home with a small load after 3 hours enjoyable work. MS 362 wasn't cutting well so will have to resharpen and do a better job.

The 'We hate locust' seems to be a bit exaggerated. I cut out the two small dead ones hanging over the road like he wanted and then he dropped the bomb "Don't cut the one by the house like we agreed until she is gone. She leaves Tuesday for a week"....Whoops!!! Well that isn't going to happen until she tells me it is okay. Still a whole bunch there to cut. He did mention he has two very big ones he wants out of the middle of his field. I'll take a look at them next trip. Can't drop a big one unless I am sure of at least 3 days to clean it up. That's shaky this time of year. Lots of small and medium 1 day jobs that I can work on

Very windy and cold today. I may go back in the next few days depending on weather.

I'm sure the first one sucked, right lol.
Did either have the 272 coil.
Been running quite a few tanks thru the ported 2166 with that muffler I got from you, sounds great, thanks.

Both were good but I think they had different pistons in them. Neither had the coil swap that I remember.

Those pipe mufflers sound great.

Came home with a small load after 3 hours enjoyable work. MS 362 wasn't cutting well so will have to resharpen and do a better job.

The 'We hate locust' seems to be a bit exaggerated. I cut out the two small dead ones hanging over the road like he wanted and then he dropped the bomb "Don't cut the one by the house like we agreed until she is gone. She leaves Tuesday for a week"....Whoops!!! Well that isn't going to happen until she tells me it is okay. Still a whole bunch there to cut. He did mention he has two very big ones he wants out of the middle of his field. I'll take a look at them next trip. Can't drop a big one unless I am sure of at least 3 days to clean it up. That's shaky this time of year. Lots of small and medium 1 day jobs that I can work on

Very windy and cold today. I may go back in the next few days depending on weather.

Great to see you're up and about now you have proper wood to cut. It was starting to sound like you were about to pack it in a while back. :)

Ahem.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Made a shovel for the woodstove so I could pick up the coals and shake the ashes out. Now it’s easier to move just the coals to the front of the stove where my air supply is VS a pile of coals and ash mixed

1f6d439a90c710f2623c5ddbb0c85fa3.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Made a shovel for the woodstove so I could pick up the coals and shake the ashes out. Now it’s easier to move just the coals to the front of the stove where my air supply is VS a pile of coals and ash mixed

I'm gonna have to make one of those when I start burning that ashy not spruce to keep the furnace going !

I've had a Browning reproduction of the Model 95 Winchester (made in Japan) in my gun cabinet for about 35 years now, but today is the first time I have shot it.

The open sights on this thing are a little weird, and I was not sure of the proper sight picture. After two sight in shots, I kinda figured it out and put the next 4 shots in 4.5" at 100 yds.

On the plus side, the gun holds well, has a good trigger (and no tang safety like the new stuff) and a smooth action. Although the Japanese production guns were "frowned" upon, the quality of the gun seems to be quite good.

I plan to have a peep sight installed (has to be drilled and tapped) and install sling swivels and it should be a decent hunting rifle.

My Uncle always used to hunt with a Model 95 in 30-40 Krag, and my Aunt had an original 95 in 30-06 that had been done over by Griffin and Howe and was gorgeous, so this thing has some sentimental value to me.
I always wanted a 95 because Teddy took a couple to Africa with him. Many moons ago, my BIL and his boys took my FIL crabbing on the Chesapeake. I was well into my addiction with Savage 1899's, so I was looking at the used gun racks. I looked up, and hanging on the wall was a 95. I asked if it was an original or repro. He said original, and it belonged to the original owner. He bought it new in 1910. He was well into his 90's and had just moved into an assisted living place, but, had taken a doe with it the previous season.I asked how much and he said $750. I said all I had on me was $500. He called the old guy but got no answer, so I left him my name and went home empty handed. Told him to see what the least the guy would take was. If he had of said $750 was it, I'd have gotten it. Monday morning I got a call. The gun shop said he told the old guy I new a lot about 95's and really wanted to hunt it. The old fellow said, "If he's going to hunt it, I'll take $400." I was there in 2 hours. Kept it for years and finally took a little doe with it. I had a nice six point standing broadside at 80-100 yards and just couldn't see the sights. Figured it was time to pass it on, big mistake. I like my vintage 99's with vintage scopes, but I'll always regret letting the 95 go. Last year I took a nice 8 point with my 1912 Savage 22 HiPower, wearing a 1912 3X Malcolm scope. This year I'm toting a 1928 Model K, engraved 99, with a 1928 1.5X Noske scope.
YqeXwLu.jpg

J3YTYkL.jpg

gk9qOQw.jpg

I see a couple nice hatchet handles in that pile!
YZaaJ2t.jpg

Mgc0e0B.jpg

wTxpDhe.jpg

dT2ZOI2.jpg

v3KVits.jpg

I find it absolutely awesome when you guys are able to do this. I just don’t have the patience.

Anyone make and sell them in michigan? Id like a cool falling axe one day.

Was glad you could make it Mike and glad you made it back home safe. You have my buddy thinking about one of those Chisaws.
Dang Steve, sorry I missed it again. My daughter is getting married in 3 weeks and she treated the family to a week end at Alpine Lake in WV. Turned out it rained pretty hard all day. I really wanted to "pop the cherry" on the Poulan 68 gear drive at your place. I found a guy with 2 rolls of 1/2" chain to cut me a loop. Now I'm afraid to use it except on special occasions. I'm going to see if he will cut me another loop for my 45" Homelite Super 1050. That's the 1050 James ran a couple years ago and said it wanted more bar. Now I have 3 1050's with 24", 36" and 45". Sure hope you can do it again next year.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

4laqa2f.jpg

I find it absolutely awesome when you guys are able to do this. I just don’t have the patience.

Anyone make and sell them in michigan? Id like a cool falling axe one day.

This is the only handle I've ever made, and it was really pretty easy. I had a long Ace Hardware handle that I traced the top half on the Ash blank, then took the middle out and traced the bottom half on the blank. I sat in my gun room with a "4 in hand" rasp and just started filing away. It really just naturally started to take shape. Then I wanted a different finish than blue or black, so I browned it. Used Birchwood Casey Browning. It's nice, and balanced OK. I use it for throwing. Now, if you want a real piece of craftsmanship to hang a head on, talk to Multifaceted.

Never got above freezing today, but I barely left the house because I was waiting for my internet company to come and update my modem. Bastards did the update remotely and nobody actually showed so I missed a day of work for nothing. (They said an adult must be home for install).

Tomorrow will be gone all day and maybe get into the woods Wednesday night.

Both were good but I think they had different pistons in them. Neither had the coil swap that I remember.

Those pipe mufflers sound great.
Need to get my miller mod ported 7910 with the 272 coil out and run it a bit, it's been a while, fun saw!
The one I got from you had the large deflector on the top, I like it though.

That may be a good thing to have with the locust, it can overcoal pretty bad when it's very cold out.

So the next morning at 11:30 I opened the stove and pulled all the coals forward, this was 12hrs after I shut it down the other night when I posted the pictures.
Then I opened the damper and let it rip for about 15min, then reloaded it for a smaller fire for the day, 20mins after that I had a nice fire and shut the damper down until that evening(425 degrees, it was 450 when I walked out the door 15 min later).
I like locusts :sweet:.
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 10.51.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 10.52.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 10.52.28 PM.png

I was going to bring my splitter to the wood since these rounds were so big, but felt like running some saws. Started at first light, two tanks later with the 661 and 20 inch bar, they were all noodled up. Man that saw rips with a 20 inch bar.

View attachment 762494 View attachment 762495 View attachment 762496
My ported 661 with maxflow and muff-mod rips with ms loops on a 25 inch bar. But then it moves right along milling maple with a 60" bar running skip square chisel :yes: lotta fun
Rest ez topsiders

I had a nice six point standing broadside at 80-100 yards and just couldn't see the sights.

My Uncle's Win 95 just had a thin blade front sight and a small V rear (30-40 w/28" bbl).

My Browning 95 has a bead up front and a huge buckhorn in the rear. I figure the peep will go well with that bead, and get rid of the buckhorn!

My Uncle (who taught me to hunt) was a very traditional hunter. He only took bucks (but they did not have to be trophy, just legal), thought tree stands should only be legal for bow and arrow, and would not use a scoped rifle! He had difficulty finding his sights when he was in his late 50s, but would not admit it and would not change.

He was a tough character … he and my Aunt Hunted in the Adirondacks in the winter with snow on the ground and stayed in the woods overnight, and he just brought a tarp, no tent! His body temp was high enough that he could grip the metal receiver on the coldest day, w/o gloves, all day long! I just can't do stuff like that. He also told me that if you sat on that rock long enough (no hot seat or cushion) the rock would get warm … I ended up shaking like a leaf with near hypothermia!

But he never took any deer after he passed 60, so I've got him there!

My Uncle's Win 95 just had a thin blade front sight and a small V rear (30-40 w/28" bbl).

My Browning 95 has a bead up front and a huge buckhorn in the rear. I figure the peep will go well with that bead, and get rid of the buckhorn!

My Uncle (who taught me to hunt) was a very traditional hunter. He only took bucks (but they did not have to be trophy, just legal), thought tree stands should only be legal for bow and arrow, and would not use a scoped rifle! He had difficulty finding his sights when he was in his late 50s, but would not admit it and would not change.

He was a tough character … he and my Aunt Hunted in the Adirondacks in the winter with snow on the ground and stayed in the woods overnight, and he just brought a tarp, no tent! His body temp was high enough that he could grip the metal receiver on the coldest day, w/o gloves, all day long! I just can't do stuff like that. He also told me that if you sat on that rock long enough (no hot seat or cushion) the rock would get warm … I ended up shaking like a leaf with near hypothermia!

But he never took any deer after he passed 60, so I've got him there!
What's the buckhorn site, the one that's like half a peep sight?

Dang Steve, sorry I missed it again. My daughter is getting married in 3 weeks and she treated the family to a week end at Alpine Lake in WV. Turned out it rained pretty hard all day. I really wanted to "pop the cherry" on the Poulan 68 gear drive at your place. I found a guy with 2 rolls of 1/2" chain to cut me a loop. Now I'm afraid to use it except on special occasions. I'm going to see if he will cut me another loop for my 45" Homelite Super 1050. That's the 1050 James ran a couple years ago and said it wanted more bar. Now I have 3 1050's with 24", 36" and 45". Sure hope you can do it again next year.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

4laqa2f.jpg
It was a good time Joe. @kuhndog came with a truckload of project saws to sell. He was trying to cure his CAD :laugh:. I don't know if it worked but he infected a few newbs that were here. :omg: He had a really nice Poulan 61 I should have bought but one of the new guys grabbed it. i think it had the .404 chain on it. they messed with it a bit and i heard it roar to life. I saw them putting it in some wood to try and tune it but they got a call and had to leave. It definitely turned heads.

Out for work yesterday talking to local ranchers lining up fire prevention projects and a coworker and I picked up maybe quarter cord of wood just left laying at various cutting sites. If we would have had a small saw, we could have gotten almost a full cord. People that cut firewood out here tend to leave a lot that will burn just fine. Some of it was already split and no fire pit in sight. Piece or two here, half dozen there.

Latest posts

Back