Best way to keep Hydraulic connections from leaking??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am asking because I replaced a hose on my snowplow and it is leaking a bit. I figured you guys probably would know from working on hydraulic splitters. What works ?? teflon tape, or some thread sealer? or something else? Thanks for the help

Teflon tape only on pipe threads. As far as I know all other fitting need nothing. Many different fittings ,make sure they match.

what kind of fittings are they
discount hydraulic hose dot com is very good resource and good people too at least they were back when they first went online

I'll assume it's a NPT fitting. Clean it as best you can with brake Clean, let it dry good ( or heat it with a torch) then use Pipe Dope. Messy crap but if the fitting is clean it works.
FYI,
  1. Reliability: NPT pipe threads have always been popular, as leaks can be fixed by simply tightening the fitting. This practice, however, has led to cracked fittings. While JIC has been the industry standard for years, it still susceptible to cracked flares from overaggressive wrenching. The mated sealing surfaces in O-ring face seal fittings and DIN metric fittings reduce the risk of over torqueing, and provide greater reliability due to the elastomeric seal that is captured in the mating surface.
At the end of the day, all hydraulic fittings are only as good as the assembler who installed them. A general rule of thumb is to connect a hose with the least amount of connections possible. There are proper assembly procedures for each of the fitting styles, and strict adherence to those steps makes the difference between a solid connection and a problem waiting to happen.

I'll assume it's a NPT fitting. Clean it as best you can with brake Clean, let it dry good ( or heat it with a torch) then use Pipe Dope. Messy crap but if the fitting is clean it works.
FYI,
  1. Reliability: NPT pipe threads have always been popular, as leaks can be fixed by simply tightening the fitting. This practice, however, has led to cracked fittings. While JIC has been the industry standard for years, it still susceptible to cracked flares from overaggressive wrenching. The mated sealing surfaces in O-ring face seal fittings and DIN metric fittings reduce the risk of over torqueing, and provide greater reliability due to the elastomeric seal that is captured in the mating surface.
At the end of the day, all hydraulic fittings are only as good as the assembler who installed them. A general rule of thumb is to connect a hose with the least amount of connections possible. There are proper assembly procedures for each of the fitting styles, and strict adherence to those steps makes the difference between a solid connection and a problem waiting to happen.
I bought a new hose from fleet farm . It has the threaded male fittings attached. The existing fittings are clean and rust free. I actually just put the plow on my truck and it doesn't seem to be leaking. I put the new hose on right at the end of last season and figued it deal with the leak this fall.
It blew the hose in the middle of a snow storm, so it was a hurry up installation of the new one. anyway i will keep an eye on it.

Yes is it npt or flair of jic or o ring???? Pipe thread, even straight pipe thread needs Teflon tape or pipe dope. If you put tape on any other style of connection it Will interfere with the seal.

gasolia works real well on pipe threads, just keep it on the threads, some of the major brands like parker, eaton the end of the fittings are very smooth and compliments the sealing of the threads, what are they 1/4" lines? 3000 psi
put the goop on threads and tighten them up if it still leaks get new fittings

Every water heater and boiler we do we use white teflon tape and then pipe dope. Gas line we use only pipe dope unless it's big diamater. I'd say teflon tape or pipe dope is good enough on pipe threads.

You might want to take it apart and try it again if it leaks.

I bought a new hose from fleet farm . It has the threaded male fittings attached. The existing fittings are clean and rust free. I actually just put the plow on my truck and it doesn't seem to be leaking. I put the new hose on right at the end of last season and figued it deal with the leak this fall.
It blew the hose in the middle of a snow storm, so it was a hurry up installation of the new one. anyway i will keep an eye on it.

Can you put up a picture of the fitting that would help a huge amount, there’s about 15 different connections style i can think of off hand all with different requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pipe thread - tape & dope.

Other stuff - good o-rings if it has them, and really really clean.

Back