My MS461 Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's how I feel too. When I hear or run a stock saw it feels and sounds so plugged up too me.

Running a ported saw will ruin you. Its like when adding a tuner to any car or diesel truck. Turn it all the up have some fun but then when you turn it back down its very disappointing.

Any decent porter will only send you back a better saw. We're not too far apart if the curiosity bug bites you.

I will keep that in mind. I have relatives in N.Cal, possibly drop off a saw and pick it up on the way back. What is your turn around time on a saw?

If you want to do a little modding yourself for some extra ponies you can mod the muffler and advance the timing a little bit. Quick, easy, and reversible.
I have done some muffler modding on my other saws, but I dont have enough confidence in my carb tuning skills to feel comfortable doing it on a saw this nice. Advancing the timing would be interesting, and something I could do as long as I didnt have to tune the carb too. How much do you remove from the key when advancing? Or would it require a degree wheel?

Pull the key, place it in vise grips so the portion that normally shows when on the crank is exposed. Put the vise grips in a bench vise and file away using a flat file. When putting it back together, put a piston stop or rope in, put the flywheel on and rotate it all the way counter clockwise. Then tighten it up while holding it all the way counter clockwise.

Get a dual port cover for it from an 046/460. Direct swap and cheap. That and the timing advance does wake it up a bit.

I think my 31 acres is going to be barren soon if somebody doesnt take this saw out of my hands. It's such a joy to run, I'm cutting down anything I can. Just cut down the ugliest tree I have ever seen that was next to our driveway next to all the big beautiful maples. I finally got my wife to give the go ahead, and it was done. That tree didnt stand a chance. Now it looks nice and open.

I think my 31 acres is going to be barren soon if somebody doesnt take this saw out of my hands. It's such a joy to run, I'm cutting down anything I can. Just cut down the ugliest tree I have ever seen that was next to our driveway next to all the big beautiful maples. I finally got my wife to give the go ahead, and it was done. That tree didnt stand a chance. Now it looks nice and open.

I mean if you want $200 I’ll definitely help you get your money back and help you not make your land barren... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean if you want $200 I’ll definitely help you get your money back and help you not make your land barren... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's very generous of you.

Honestly though, I grew up on Farm Bosses, my dad uses them, my grandpa uses them, and I have one. I thought that was as good as it got, until I got this 461.

Now to try out the Husky equivalent?

I have done some muffler modding on my other saws, but I dont have enough confidence in my carb tuning skills to feel comfortable doing it on a saw this nice. Advancing the timing would be interesting, and something I could do as long as I didnt have to tune the carb too. How much do you remove from the key when advancing? Or would it require a degree wheel?

Stock saws require carb tuning also.

Learn that first.

That's very generous of you.

Honestly though, I grew up on Farm Bosses, my dad uses them, my grandpa uses them, and I have one. I thought that was as good as it got, until I got this 461.

Now to try out the Husky equivalent?

I’m a Stihl guy because I have Stihl dealers near me. Run a ported 046 and 660. But I had a 576xp for a while and it was a very smooth well running saw. I talk smack but I would go Stihl or husky no questions asked. I’m actually trying to save up to possibly buy another 576 and get it ported...or a 372xp but that’s just CAD speaking

Back